Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some minor OC adventure

Today I got a call from my wood guy, the tree trimmer who supplies me with most of the wood I use in my business and to heat our house. He was taking down a large Norway maple tree, one of my very favorites. So I hitched up my trailer, and off I went to the address he supplied. When I arrived, I discovered that the address was actually the Moravian College Police Department! Well I was already OC, and I was seriously lusting after this tree, so I thought what the heck, the worst they can do to me is tell me to leave.

The first surprise came when one of the tree guys I have known for years looks at me and says, "Hey, you've got a gun on!" The owner, my friend, laughed at him and said, "He always has a gun on." Apparently this guy had not noticed my OC for the past year and a half.

The second surprise came while loading up my trailer. We were working right outside the door of the office of the MCPD, and several officers were watching the process. A couple even exchanged words with us, and one carried on an extended conversation with me. Not a word was said. Of course, it may be that no one noticed. Loading up took way longer than we anticipated, as we all got soaked to the bone. It is a good thing I was carrying stainless and tupperware.

Finally I was on my way home. I was soaked to the bone, covered in dirt and wood chips, and very hungry, having missed lunch by three hours. I also decided to drive through Bethlehem and Allentown to get to Rt 222, as I 78 was closed from an accident just west of us. I pulled into the parking lot of the Wawa at the corner of Airport Rd. and Union Blvd. The place was crawling with people, but I was starved. I also had to attend to the call of nature.

I pulled the truck in and headed for the door. Standing just outside the door was a very attractive young lady and some guy. They were hawking some sort of wares. The young lady approached me with a very enthusiastic, "AND HOW ARE YOU TODAY SIR!?!"

"I'm tired, soaking wet, filthy, and hungry."

"Well, me too."

"We just loaded that trailer in the pouring rain, and I missed my lunch."

I guess someone taught her not to get between hungry animals and their food, as she stepped back and let me pass. I went in, peed, got my food, and was on my way out the door when she sprang in my way and started on auto pilot again. Then she recognized me and said, "Oh!"

She lowered her voice, and sidled up to me in a conspiratorial way, and asked, "Is that a real gun you have there on your hip?"

"Yes, it most certainly is. It wouldn't be a very good idea to wear a fake one like this would it?"

"Are you, like, a cop or something?"

"No, I'm just a regular citizen exercising my rights and protecting myself all at the same time.

Her eyes lit up, and in her previous boisterous manner she said, "THAT IS SO COOL!" She went on to say that her dad owned and carried guns, that she had been hunting numerous times in the past and loved to shoot, and that as soon as she turned 21, she was going to buy herself a pistol so she could carry it with her.

I told her that while this was an extremely good idea, she would do well to get some training, and even more so, practice with it afterwards so she would be proficient with it. There is lots more that we talked about, but it was encouraging to see a young lady so enthusiastic about firearms and carrying. The guy who was working with her was no where to be seen. I handed her a couple of fliers for herself and him, and then rode off into the sunset. I really was going west!

One other comment she made sort of struck me as funny, but I did not make fun. At one point she said, "But it's not loaded, right?"

"Oh, it's always loaded, with one in the chamber ready to go! It wouldn't be much good otherwise." And of course, I trotted out the old saw about an unloaded gun being a $500 rock. We discussed how fast things could happen on the street and why a gun needed to be loaded and on your person, not in a purse on a table across the room, not in your car across the lot, and most certainly not unloaded. I pointed out this place specifically on the fliers as a place of good info. Hopefully she will show up and start learning. But I stood at the doorway of Wawa for a good 10-15 minutes with all sorts of people going by, and no one seemed to be bothered. Then again, no one may have noticed.

Oh yeah. All that work netted me approximately 5000 lbs of wood that will end up looking something like this.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Some minor OC adventure

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    ...I pulled into the parking lot of the Wawa at the corner of Airport Rd. and Union Blvd...
    Put it in my GPS. I'll run out in the morning and see if I can scoop up this young lass Right now it's past the curfew of this old man

Good work as always and the story telling is always appreciated.

(Northampton County)

that wa-wa is right on the fringe of being in a bad area. even with the elementary school one block away. There are always shady chacters in that place. And even more so in the autozone right next door.

(Lehigh County)

That's a great story Pennsy but only half of that wood is going to end up looking like that fine piece. The rest will be chips and dust.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Papuppyowner View Post
    that wa-wa is right on the fringe of being in a bad area. even with the elementary school one block away. There are always shady chacters in that place. And even more so in the autozone right next door.
    Have you met Pennsyplinker?

He was in no danger...................

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    That's a great story Pennsy but only half of that wood is going to end up looking like that fine piece. The rest will be chips and dust.
    You've seen his work?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a very narly tree down, just up from my work, lots of knots/ nurls.
    Might be something you could use.

Alot of crotch wood.

(Delaware County)

That's a nice piece Mr. Plinker. {No, not your gun...lol} Some fine wood working there.
    Now that I finally found a job, I will have to look you up. Being a carpenter and cabinetmaker, I can see you have some real talent.
    You are a great ambassador for our 2nd amendment rights. Keep up the good work.

Now if I can get this thing to work, I'll send you a big REP!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Have you met Pennsyplinker?

He was in no danger...................
    lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think the bad guys were in more trouble than Pennsy!

Sorry Pennsy, The damn machine tells me I have to spread the love.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

I don't typically comment about how nice some guys wood looks, but I may have to make an exception.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast