Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Kel-tec PF9 and Customer Service Reliability Review

Hey guys,

I recently bought a Kel-tec PF9. When I first bought it the slide lock wouldn't work, I read on ktog that this is due to the magazine follower being made of plastic and designed improperly...after taking a knife to the magazine follower the slide locks back solid. We'll see if it lasts.

I took the PF9 to the range on Sunday. I shot 62rnds and had 9 failures. Two failure to extracts and 7 failures due to light strikes. After cleaning the gun I decided to take out the firing pin chamber and check for obstructions. I heard that sometimes there are a significant number of burrs in the firing pin channel, and that the firing pin holding screw sometimes rubs on the pin itself(causing undue friction). I found that the holding crew was so tight(or maybe soft?) that even after heating it up with a soldering iron(to soften any locktite) it only took 1 turn of the kel-tec supplied allen wrench to round off the socket in the screw. After several attempts at retrieving the bolt with an E-Z out I finaly gave in and called kel-tec. I was instructed to ship the slide assembly to them. It should arrive next Tues. I felt like a loser.

I will keep up with any information as it comes in.

(PS: I really liked the way the gun shot.....it just didn't shoot all that often when i pulled the trigger )

(Adams County)

Default Re: Kel-tec PF9 and Customer Service Reliability Review

wow, that sucks. I will be following this thread because I just picked one up about 2 weeks ago. So far I have put about 200 rounds through it. The only thing I had was my brother in law ran about 30 rounds through it and he had it not fire twice (slide did not go all the way forward). Maybe he was limp wristing it?? I fired the other 170 rounds through it and I had one occasion where it did it to me.

(Somerset County)

I hate to hear that . I have had mine for a year and it has been nothing but perfect . Good luck .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Wayne County)

I'm with 1861. I've had mine since around April this year or so. Haven't had a single issue in at least 600+ rounds. Same can be said for my P-11.

From what I've read and experienced, Kel Tecs are generally pretty good. Every once in a while you'll get a pig. My first P-11 was like that. Cabelas took it back and swapped it out for a new one. I've had it ever since w/ no issues.

Good luck w/ it. Hope it works out better after they monkey around w/ it.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lancaster County)

I had one of the good ones I guess. After replacing the plastic mag release with metal I never had a single problem. I am guessing I had around 500 rounds through it. After evaluating my collection I sold it since I also had a PM9.

(Allegheny County)

mine is perfect as well, don't worry they will make it right!
    MORDENTE MEUM

(York County)

I love the price and the size of the kel-tecs, but geeez, all the talk I hear isnt very flattering. I read in somebodies post that they make a metal mag release, that was my biggest issue so far, also heard that they require some breaking in and maybe a fluff and buff to loosen up and run well. It just doesnt inspire alot of confidence that the gun in my pocket might not go off and cycle properly if shtf.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Luzerne County)

I haven't heard anything back from them(of course, they won't even get the slide in the mail until Tues), but I wanted to say that you have all given me hope. I want this gun to work so badly, it isn't funny.

PS: I HATE the plastic mag release, but I did hear that someone makes a metal replacement. Any info on how I can get a metal mag release would be appreciated.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I love the price and the size of the kel-tecs, but geeez, all the talk I hear isnt very flattering. I read in somebodies post that they make a metal mag release, that was my biggest issue so far, also heard that they require some breaking in and maybe a fluff and buff to loosen up and run well. It just doesnt inspire alot of confidence that the gun in my pocket might not go off and cycle properly if shtf.
    You can read of people having those same problems with Glocks , Smiths , Kimpers or any other makes .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Bucks County)

I bought one a little over a year ago and have not had any problems with it. Kel Tec has been a great gun for my first. The price, the reliability, you can't beat it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast