Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or MMA in SEPA?

Does anyone take BJJ or MMA in Chester, Montgomery, or Berks counties?

I'm looking to begin training, but have no real idea where to start. I have a few ideas of school around me (I'm in Northern Chester Conty), but I think there might some better places I haven't been able to find online.

Figured I'd see if anyone has any suggestions. I'm looking to spend around $85 a month and would prefer no contract.

Anyone know of any good schools?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or MMA in SEPA?

Quote Originally Posted by BloodClensedSoul View Post
    Does anyone take BJJ or MMA in Chester, Montgomery, or Berks counties?

I'm looking to begin training, but have no real idea where to start. I have a few ideas of school around me (I'm in Northern Chester Conty), but I think there might some better places I haven't been able to find online.

Figured I'd see if anyone has any suggestions. I'm looking to spend around $85 a month and would prefer no contract.

Anyone know of any good schools?
    Send an IM to dexter. He's in the Aston area, a little far from you, but he teaches JKD/MMA SD, as well as gun SD. Great guy to deal with if you are not intimidated just by looking at him

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Delaware County)

I'd also be interested in this, also I think Krav Maga looks interesting. Heres one that looks pretty badass in Collegeville:

http://www.b2kravmaga.com/
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Northampton County)

I train at TSMMA (formerly Tiger Schulmann's Karate) in bethlehem, but they also have one right in Montgomeryville. Take a look at www.tsk.com, they might even have a closer facility to you.

Now let me assure you, this is not the mcdojo that a lot of "martial artists" like to suggest. They were one of the 1st schools in the country with a true mma program and have been incorporating BJJ/grappling techniques into their program long before the current mma/ufc hysteria trend.

Look up Lyman Good and Nick Pace on youtube for an idea of the types of fighters TSMMA produces. Good just won the Bellator Fighting Championship after going 10-0 in his pro mma career and beating some former UFC fighters in the process.

You pay by the class here, but they try to sell you a year or 2's worth of classes at a time because they offer discounted rates when you purchase classes in bulk like that.

I only have 2 gripes with them: 1st is that because they are so well known they attract people of all shapes, sizes and ages. Most of them are there to learn self defense or just get in shape, which sometimes makes it difficult to find a partner who will push you in the beginner classes. If your sensai is good, he'll see that you're serious and match you with the right people for sparring, etc.

#2 is that they make you buy only TSMMA branded gear, which can start to get expensive once you buy all the kickboxing gear, grappling gear, etc (I guess it can get expensive either way but forcing you to buy a certain brand kills any price comparison shopping you could have done otherwise). They pop up on ebay once in a while though.
    Last edited by rodder; August 21st, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
    Let them take arms

(Monroe County)

gecko45 is a ninja!
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Carbon County)

Check out the Cage MMA Academy in Reading www.thecagemma.com

Dave, the owner, is a lifelong friend of mine and a great guy. The Rat Pack in Palmerton is my home gym, but i go down to the Cage once in a while for a new set of rolling partners.

Matt
    <a href=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/Mzalicia20/Image1Custom2.jpg target=_blank>http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ge1Custom2.jpg</a>

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    I'd also be interested in this, also I think Krav Maga looks interesting. Heres one that looks pretty badass in Collegeville:

http://www.b2kravmaga.com/
    He used to be affiliated with Krav Maga PA and Ernie Kirk's guys before they became Premier Martial Arts. I'm not sure if they had a falling out or decided to go their own way, but a few of Ernie's satellite schools broke off and decided to do their own thing.

I considered training with B2 but Collegeville is a little far to go from where I work / live. Their kettlebell classes look interesting, though.

This is going to be one of those 9mm vs .45 threads but heres some advice.

Go with a martial art that fits your natural fighting style.

Avoid arts that primarily focus on competition (against their own art). They will teach you how to win matches NOT fights.

Search for a complete style. You want a good balance of striking, throwing, grappling/submission.

Kung Fu, MMA, Muay Thai, Juijitsu, Krav Maga are up there on my list of effective martial arts.

Ignore the bull@!#% soft-styles that tell you you can win with Ki. You will not be throwing any fireballs out of your hands.

I'd stay clear of Karate (at least the schools you'll find in PA) too much focus on competition and not enough on REAL fights.

Of the 2 you listed I'd probably go with MMA. MMA is about as close to real fighting as you will get. Taking aspects of alot of arts and combining them to form something that works, within their ruleset of course.
    Last edited by Ihatemyglock; August 21st, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

What style is krav manga?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    What style is krav manga?
    Krav Maga (sp?) is win at all costs style. Everything and anything goes as long as you come out on top. They just show you which "everythings" work best to eliminate threats as quickly as possible. Guns, knives, bare hands... all are in play.

At least that was my understanding

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast