Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Backup Gun or possible secondary primary carry?

My wife picked me up a first generation Charter Firearms "Undercover" .38 SPC yesterday for father's day. Now I normally carry a Hi-Point C9 9MM IWB on a Clipdraw at 1:30, which works very well for concealment under most circumstances, and is quite comfortable.

Now my question revolves around this. I picked up a pocket holster, and an ankle holster for it (which conveniently fits my POS .25 Auto also) so that I can use it as a back up on the ankle or primary in the pocket holster. It also sits very nicely IWB at the 1:30 position with no real retention method.

So, would you continue to use the 9MM as primary, and .38 as backup, or (I am thinking) just use whatever is going to best suit what ever level of concealement I need?

Oh, and I have for the most part heard that a 1st generation Charter .38 Undercover is a very fine snubbie, any input or opinions will be appreciated as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOULD, Circuit Judge, concurring:
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Backup Gun or possible secondary primary carry?

I heard an interesting 'theory' on primary gun - backup gun deployment. Use the smaller, lightweight, 5 round gun as your primary. If the SHTF bad enough to require the backup gun, wouldn't it be better to have the bigger, badder, hi-cap then? Interesting?
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    I heard an interesting 'theory' on primary gun - backup gun deployment. Use the smaller, lightweight, 5 round gun as your primary. If the SHTF bad enough to require the backup gun, wouldn't it be better to have the bigger, badder, hi-cap then? Interesting?
    From a very narrow and "conditional" perspective ........ maybe.

But the reality is that most of us don't practice enough with a our primary weapon let alone the BUG.

If I ever have to defend myself I want to be using the weapon with which I am most familiar with respect to marksmanship skill and more importantly, weapon manipulation. In my case that would be a 1911 and an AR15.

Having owned allot of different handguns over the years there aren't many "systems" that are completely foreign to me. OTOH, if I had to quickly pick up a makarov or some other odd pistol to defend myself it would not be as instinctive to get the pistol into action as my 1911 or clear it if it happens to malfunction.

It makes me chuckle to read people say they have this particular pistol on the nightstand and they carry some other pistol for CCW and there is a yet another different pistol in the glove compartment of their car and so on and so on. Or they're in the habit of changing their carry gun "just because", sort of like a "gun of the week" kind of thing.

I can't believe that those folks are competent across that many platforms (1911, DA/SA, revolver, etc.) and are equally skilled with each. As Barrett Tillman said, "you won't rise to the occasion, you'll default to your level of training".

If you regularly carry, you owe it to yourself to become "one" with your BUG as well as your primary.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    From a very narrow and "conditional" perspective ........ maybe.

But the reality is that most of us don't practice enough with a our primary weapon let alone the BUG.

It makes me chuckle to read people say they have this particular pistol on the nightstand and they carry some other pistol for CCW and there is a yet another different pistol in the glove compartment of their car and so on and so on. Or they're in the habit of changing their carry gun "just because", sort of like a "gun of the week" kind of thing.

I can't believe that those folks are competent across that many platforms (1911, DA/SA, revolver, etc.) and are equally skilled with each. As Barrett Tillman said, "you won't rise to the occasion, you'll default to your level of training".

If you regularly carry, you owe it to yourself to become "one" with your BUG as well as your primary.
    ++++1

Excellent points (truths?).

(Lancaster County)

I agree with your basic premise, but if you routinely practice with a number of firearms, it is really isn't difficult to be proficient, even expert, with all of them. The key is to practice with and do handling drills with them all...frequently.

I have three primary guns and practice with each of them no less than once per week. If that were not possible, I would switch to only one primary firearm.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coustain View Post
    Now my question revolves around this. I picked up a pocket holster, and an ankle holster for it (which conveniently fits my POS .25 Auto also) so that I can use it as a back up on the ankle or primary in the pocket holster. It also sits very nicely IWB at the 1:30 position with no real retention method.

So, would you continue to use the 9MM as primary, and .38 as backup, or (I am thinking) just use whatever is going to best suit what ever level of concealement I need?

I do something like this with a Kel-Tec P11 (bought) and an s&w chief's special (inherited.) I envy greatly your hammerless snub, my Smith's got hammer knurling that beats all!

If I need two guns, I carry the smith in an ankle rig. The P11 is most oft carried at 1 o'clock. If I need deep concealment (or it's just too gorram hot to have a holster rubbing on my sweaty pubes all day) I go with the smith because it fits in a pocket.

I knew a man, from the good old days (that is like 6 months ago) from The High Road, who pocket carried a J-Frame or Derringer simply by wrapping up the important bits in a bandana. Despite my initial skepticism, I find that my default mode of carry if I'm not packing my KelTec.

Boy, that rambled. I hope it helped you somehow. I also wanted you to know that you're my hero for packing a C9. They sure don't look too comfy to me.
    --Jordan K
    Nurse Aide, Havertonian, Student, Heavy Lifter

"Proper gun safety starts by being completely unwilling to do stupid sh.t for the lulz." --anonymous, 4chan.org

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyhoagie View Post
    I do something like this with a Kel-Tec P11 (bought) and an s&w chief's special (inherited.) I envy greatly your hammerless snub, my Smith's got hammer knurling that beats all!.............................................. .......................................... I also wanted you to know that you're my hero for packing a C9. They sure don't look too comfy to me.
    My Charter has a hammer, I am going to be replacing it with the aftermarket hammerless DAO Hammer in a few weeks though. And as far as the C9, I am a skinny guy, it fits nicely at 1 O'Clock with a clipdraw. And yes, you helped. Thanks.
    Second, the right to bear arms is a protection against the possibility that even our own government could degenerate into tyranny, and though this may seem unlikely, this possibility should be guarded against with individual diligence.

(Delaware County)

...Is your clipdraw the universal one? I never thought to ask.
    --Jordan K
    Nurse Aide, Havertonian, Student, Heavy Lifter

"Proper gun safety starts by being completely unwilling to do stupid sh.t for the lulz." --anonymous, 4chan.org

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyhoagie View Post
    ...Is your clipdraw the universal one? I never thought to ask.
    Yup, Universal, works like a charm.

(Allegheny County)

As Barrett Tillman said, "you won't rise to the occasion, you'll default to your level of training".
    If that wasn't already part of my signature I'd add it!!!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final