Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Carbine Training?

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    But there is no doubt I would partner with somebody that just ETS's combat arms over somebody that had a three-day training class and practiced what he learned for a few months.
    I agree 100%

Thanks to you and steelblitz for saving me the trouble of having to type all that out.

(Allegheny County)

http://www.insightstraining.com/

Just looked over their site. I may have to fit them into next years agenda.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; September 4th, 2009 at 06:17 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Just looked over their site. I may have to fit them into next years agenda.
    Shawn, Ungawa was giving feedback on InSights, not US Training Center (Blackwater).

My friend is a coach for InSights...having seen their material, I could recommend them without hesitation.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Shawn, Ungawa was giving feedback on InSights, not US Training Center (Blackwater).

My friend is a coach for InSights...having seen their material, I could recommend them without hesitation.
    aahhhhh I must have gotten a little mixed up there

yes, InSights looks good.

(Chester County)

aahhhhh I must have gotten a little mixed up there

yes, InSights looks good.
    Gotcha.

If you're interested, here's an AAR for InSights General Defensive Rifle class:
    http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...gonew=1#UNREAD

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Gotcha.

If you're interested, here's an AAR for InSights General Defensive Rifle class:
    http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...gonew=1#UNREAD
    thanks!

I'd put this in my sig line if I could

Day 1 also included a discussion about equipment. Most shooters spend the majority of their time dwelling on what widget to put on their rifle, despite the fact that equipment is by far the least important factor in surviving a violent encounter. Mindset, tactics and skill carry the day. The principle to remember is that equipment should make YOUR job easier. You must first identify YOUR job (i.e. home defense, LE, Mil, etc). If you find yourself fighting your gear, then it is time to discard it and find gear that complements your tactics and skills. The problem that new shooters find is that they either have no tactics and skills or very poor tactics and skills. Thus, there is no frame of reference for selecting proper equipment. The best advice for budget conscious new shooters is to not buy anything but a sling and maybe an inexpensive light for their rifles until they have the training and experience to make proper equipment selection on their own, or until they find a system they are going to embrace and then buy exactly what the instructor/mentor uses.
    and this here is why I recommend CMP competitions
    At distance, when one combines proper sight picture, trigger control, and follow through with natural point of aim and proper respiratory pause targets are easily hit with rapid controlled shots. At the 200 yard line there is an IPSC size silhouette and 12 inch disc. Students found that the 200 yard silhouette could be consistently hit prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. Even with irons and non magnified optics, students were able to reliably get hits. I think everyone hit the 200 yard silhouette standing and most were able to hit the 12 inch disc at that distance. Some had to transition to a more classic rifleman shooting platform to hit the 12 inch target. However, for those that were using an adjustable two point sling, they were able to easily get hits in a squared up close quarters platform with the assistance of sling tension.
    weve done more "tactical" shooting compititions at the club and the regular CMP shooters always shine. Its a lot of sight picture and trigger control from positions, again and again, with a score where you can really judge your progress. I have found that it has really helped my marksmanship over the last year or so I have been doing it regularly. I try to get at least one COF in a month, sometimes two.

also helpd to build a general familiarity with the rifle.

(Chester County)

thanks!

I'd put this in my sig line if I could

and this here is why I recommend CMP competitions

weve done more "tactical" shooting compititions at the club and the regular CMP shooters always shine. Its a lot of sight picture and trigger control from positions, again and again, with a score where you can really judge your progress. I have found that it has really helped my marksmanship over the last year or so I have been doing it regularly. I try to get at least one COF in a month, sometimes two.

also helpd to build a general familiarity with the rifle.
    Yeah, the general fundamentals of marksmanship are critical.
    In the frame of tactical shooting...you still can't shoot faster than you can hit, and expect good results. "Take your time to get your hits, and do everything else as quickly as possible." Or, from a comment made about a TigerSwan class "If you're not shooting, you're on the gas".

I've noticed that the more experienced an instructor is, the less they shit on "bladed stances" or "camp perry techniques".

Guys like Searcy, Vickers and Lamb...all served at the tip of the spear, and competed at a high level. The two probably have a lot more in common than I used to think, and probably a lot people still do think. At least, that's my opinion, FWIW.

(Chester County)

Thumbs up Re: Carbine Training?

(Northampton County)

In case clarification is needed,

I only took one class with Insights. There are a lot of people here with a lot more training classes under their belts than I have in the civilian environment. And there are instructors here on the forum.

Guess what? I'm not as dumb as I look. There is a lot of valuable information on arfcom, for example. But, in my opinion, they tend to pick sides of debatable subjects and ignore real data from the other side. I think they pick the right side most of the time, but they are still ignoring other information that is of value.

The teaching I got from Insights did not have contradictions. They recognize the various camps of dogma and get to the point. I was particularly impressed with how they handled terminal ballistics, which is a very controversial subject.

Also, they explain the reasoning for every single thing they teach. Since I am not as dumb as I look, this is extremely important. Again, I did not find contradictions.

There may indeed be better systems out there, or better systems for certain situations, but what they do is very well thought out and they make sure you understand why, the advantages, and disadvantages.

The class I took was fast-paced and the reading materials were not clear on the drills in my opinion, although they were listed. Make sure you understand the outline of drills in your coursebook, ask questions and mark them up with you pen. Everything you do in the course you are supposed to do when you get back home and I don't think they do a good job pointing that out or presenting it in the course hardcopy. But they will 100% explain it to you if you walk them through it.

They are on top of you all the time and will help correct any problems in your performance. As stated, they sent plenty of people when I was there. You will have people running into you and guns going off in your face while you are shooting. Within the confines of a safe firing line and all weapons pointed downrange at all times. One person made a mistake and he was dissarmed. Nobody was in danger due to the mistake but they don't screw around. They are also very nice and take pride in a "supportive environment." It's not "boot camp" training.
    Last edited by ungawa; September 5th, 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234