Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bethlehem Area School District Eliminates Funding for Two High School Rifle Teams!

Due to tightening budgets, the Bethlehem Area School District has shut off funding for the Liberty High School and Freedom High School rifle teams. Both teams have been in existence for over 40 years and have consistently been given grants by NRA.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5100

The link above has School District contact information for you to send your complaints. I went to Liberty HS and shot on the Rifle Team there. Costs were extremely low, about 5,000 to 10,000 rounds of 22 ammo and coach's salary.....
    Last edited by Pyramid; August 19th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Bethlehem Area School District Eliminates Funding for Two High School Rifle Teams

I fired off an email to the supt. of the district. I don't live there but I loved shooting for my high school rifle team.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Berks County)

Default Re: Bethlehem Area School District Eliminates Funding for Two High School Rifle Teams

My school district builds onto one of its schools every year, taxes keep going up, but we never had a rifle team ... kinda sucked. Hope they get it back. Email sent.

My high school never had a rifle team when I was there.

I know, hoping to going into education, that if I was in that district I would do all I could, including volunteer my time as coach to keep the program going. Hopefully someone in that district feels the same way I do.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
    Due to tightening budgets, the Bethlehem Area School District has shut off funding for the Liberty High School and Freedom High School rifle teams. Both teams have been in existence for over 40 years and have consistently been given grants by NRA.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5100

The link above has School District contact information for you to send your complaints. I went to Liberty HS and shot on the Rifle Team there. Costs were extremely low, about 5,000 to 10,000 rounds of 22 ammo and coach's salary.....
    I hear you, but to be fair, please gather a list of all the extra curriculars that may have been cut. If it is ONLY the rifle team, I will send them a letter or two.

My school district has started a extra curricular fee. If your kids are in Football, band, debate team, etc, you pay a fee per child dependent upon school usage and needs. My kids will cost me 150 each this year to be in Band, and that doesn't count uniforms and shoes aand other items.

Price of education just went up!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

I'm bettin' there's more to it than ....cost.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    I'm bettin' there's more to it than ....cost.
    Yep. Philly & Jersey transplants.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Monroe County)

Both Liberty and Freedom are top teams in the league and sadly the Stroudsburg team will be gone once the renovation gets going in the high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    I hear you, but to be fair, please gather a list of all the extra curriculars that may have been cut. If it is ONLY the rifle team, I will send them a letter or two.

My school district has started a extra curricular fee. If your kids are in Football, band, debate team, etc, you pay a fee per child dependent upon school usage and needs. My kids will cost me 150 each this year to be in Band, and that doesn't count uniforms and shoes aand other items.

Price of education just went up!
    Looks like Rifle is the only HS team cut.

• Shut down Career Academy

• Eliminate driver's education theory classes

• Leave vacant a human resource director position and a part-time special education secretary

• Cut the high school rifle club and middle school soccer programs

• Cut transportation for SPARK

• Eliminate Reading Recovery

• Cut instructional support teams

• Scale back home school visitors

• Eliminate elementary school guidance jobs

• Cut math support jobs

• Shut down the Regional Academic Standards Academy

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/beth...irector_1.html