Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default New OC'er here... Should I be worried?

Hi all... I am new to this forum and new to PA. I'm 22, but spent the first 21 years of my life in Vermont. Those of you that know the gun laws there, know that they pretty much don't exist. No restrictions on open or concealed carry. I have been reading up on the laws extensively, and I'm confident I know what to expect. I haven't got my LTCF yet, as I don't have Monroe county references. (that was quite a curveball... people that have known me all my life aren't valid references just because they live out-of-state? Ridiculous.) Therefore, I'll be OC'ing until I get it. I actually OC'ed yesterday for a short time, but I only had the balls to go into Warner's to look for a mag pouch. I'm thinking about going grocery shopping with my firearm today.

Anyways, I've heard a lot of horror stories about the police not knowing the law and creating a huge hassle for people... Any suggestions on how I should handle this situation if it comes up? I never had to deal with it in Vermont, because the cops all knew you weren't breaking to law. If someone was frightened and called them, all they'd do is smile and say, "You may want to think about concealing that, you're frightening someone. Have a good day, Sir."

Anything I should know before I grow bold enough to OC anywhere I legally can?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New OC'er here... Should I be worried?

Number 1- Do not get into a car while OC without a LTCF!!

Number 2- Any LEO giving you a problem, Simply say "it is allowed by law. I am not breaking any law."

After that, Anything he says, just repeat, "Am I free to go"
    Keep repeating that untill A) he lets you go or B) he arrests you.

Hope for B. Might be able to get some cash out of the law suit. . . .

(Philadelphia County)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Number 1- Do not get into a car while OC without a LTCF!!
    Hehe, ya I know, that's not a problem as I sold my car before I moved... There was no way that hunk of junk would've made it to PA. Looks like I'll be using the old feet for a while. Which can also be good, as I won't have a lazy moment and be tempted to drive with my Firestorm strapped to me and end up getting pulled over... that would be a huge "oops"

And Hennypacker, I read that a few minutes ago. My, there's a TON of useful info on this forum... Wish I'd found it sooner!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Number 2- Any LEO giving you a problem, Simply say "it is allowed by law. I am not breaking any law."
    I'm being a little nit picky here but... A more correct statement would be, "It's not prohibited by law." There is no law prohibiting open carry of a firearm, therefore it is legal.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I'm being a little nit picky here but... A more correct statement would be, "It's not prohibited by law." There is no law prohibiting open carry of a firearm, therefore it is legal.
    It is not "prohibited" by law. . .
    I see what your sayin

Thus one can draw the conclusion it is "allowed" by law.

It is either not allowed or it is allowed. . . . . .

(Monroe County)

Actually, I do have a question... I need to go to the bank in the next couple of days. I go to the Pennstar in Tannersville. Pennsylvania does not prohibit me from OC'ing in a bank, but will I end up looking down the barrels of M16's when I leave? Or is this a kosher thing to do? Will I have to worry about a teller with an itchy "panic button" finger?

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    And Hennypacker, I read that a few minutes ago. My, there's a TON of useful info on this forum... Wish I'd found it sooner!
    It's a shame, though, that there needs to be a ton of information about this. I wonder how our time could be spent if we didn't have to constantly decipher the law, and discuss how to make sure we are abiding by it.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    It's a shame, though, that there needs to be a ton of information about this. I wonder how our time could be spent if we didn't have to constantly decipher the law, and discuss how to make sure we are abiding by it.
    Hehe, too true. So anyone know about my bank question?

(Clearfield County)

With my LEO encounter I was on foot on public property and OCing. They not only demanded my ID, but also my LTCF. Some officers think LTCF are required for carrying at all, which kind of makes sense since it's a "license to carry firearms" implying carrying in any form to someone who doesn't know any better.

Just remember, if you're asked to leave private property, GTFO.

EDIT to answer your bank question:

I've read a thread here on PAFOA that talks about a guy OCing in a bank where the tellers knew him well, but the bank put up signs saying no OC very shortly after.

Do what you will, even if the bank's official policy doesn't prohibit OC/CC there's still the very real possibility of tellers/customers freaking out. I'd assume that police responding to a "man with a gun in a bank" or worse, "armed robery at a bank," are not going to be quite as calm as just a generic "man with a gun in Long John Silvers" type of call.

I'd actually be far more comfortable OCing outside a town hall meeting with the president than at a bank I wasn't familiar with.
    Last edited by leeam; August 19th, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast