Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default AR-15 Free Float Rails

Anyone have experience with this one?

http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merch...FS/SMC-CM0-EBR

I'm looking for one like it to replace my DD Omega Carbine rail, just so I can have a little more space for mounting accessories, light and vfg in particular.

Never heard of that brand before so I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR-15 Free Float Rails

Sampson rails are good rails, they are just about identical to the Troy rails, Sampson actually got sued by Troy cause they were indentical, so now they differ slightly in apperance.

(York County)

thanks, now I just need to figure out what they mean by saying the Front sight post will need some work to make it fit.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    thanks, now I just need to figure out what they mean by saying the Front sight post will need some work to make it fit.
    I'd imagine that they mean that if you have a bayonet lug on the bottom of the site base, that you might need to trim it down a bit the get the rail to fit because the diameter of the rail might be too small.

If i were going that route, I’d either stick with a regular carbine length - without extension or, I’d get a 10" rail and do away with the front site base and put on a gas block so the rail could go over it - then I’d add a flip up front site.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I'd imagine that they mean that if you have a bayonet lug on the bottom of the site base, that you might need to trim it down a bit the get the rail to fit because the diameter of the rail might be too small.

If i were going that route, I’d either stick with a regular carbine length - without extension or, I’d get a 10" rail and do away with the front site base and put on a gas block so the rail could go over it - then I’d add a flip up front site.
    yeah, that bayo lug would have to go as well as the sling adapter probably.

I was going to go the route you suggested but, the low pro gas block and flip up front sight are extra expenses and I'm trying to cut some corners now on my budget for this gun while still being able to mount everything the way I want to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post

I would agree with this 100%

(Chester County)

DD has a few that do this...and I would suggest them over a samson.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...&product_id=77
    http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...&product_id=29

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I've seen the DD ones you mentioned and I would certainly not mind paying a few bucks more for the quality because I have a DD now and it's great. However, correct me if I'm wrong on this, aren't those ones (M4 and Lite) one solid piece? So I would have to pay to have a gunsmith install it, so he could knock out the FSB, I don't think I could do it myself. About how much extra would that cost to have done, ballpark figures? That was the only reason I asked about the Samson because It's a two piece I could put on myself.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    I've seen the DD ones you mentioned and I would certainly not mind paying a few bucks more for the quality because I have a DD now and it's great. However, correct me if I'm wrong on this, aren't those ones (M4 and Lite) one solid piece? So I would have to pay to have a gunsmith install it, so he could knock out the FSB, I don't think I could do it myself. About how much extra would that cost to have done, ballpark figures? That was the only reason I asked about the Samson because It's a two piece I could put on myself.
    Yes, you are correct that you'll have to remove the FSB to install the DD rails. However, removing the FSB is not difficult to do at all and my understanding (having not done this myself) is that DD rails are pretty easy to install (just like any other rails that require the removal of the FSB). You may need a special DD spanner tool to install.

I have the Samson rails on my SIG P556. The finish I found to be even better than the DD Lite 7 I used to have, the last finish I saw like the Samson rails was the Noveske receiver of my friend's AR, but it made my P556 a lot heavier compared to the standard plastic handguards. By this comparison, the DD 9.5 is 10.5oz vs. the Samson 13.2oz. If you can deal with the 2+ extra ounces, I'd prefer to be able to take off and install the rails with minimal efforts.

Look also into the VLTOR CASV-EL. I really like mine of its modularity.

Al