Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default question about state game land range rules

well, i was at the range in archbald thursday, (snuck out of work early), testing out the new walther p22, when a woman with a range bag comes up to the middle table and starts unpacking all kinds of stuff, officer type stuff.

we let her hand her target, and she goes back to the table and grabs her gun and 2 magazines and walks up to about 10 foot away, and starts unloading FULL magazines, one after the other.

well after the smoke clears and she's out of ammo, without asking for a CLEAR, she just walks up to her target and checks out her aim.

i take this opertunity to get her attention and say: "i'm not sure if your aware, but at stat game land gun ranges, you are only allowed 6 rounds in a hand gun and 3 in a rifle, i'd hate to see you get in trouble with a game warden or range officer"

she replies: " i'm with law enforcement, that doesnt apply to me, but thank you though"

i said your welcome and walked away packed up and got outta there.

the question, after making you all read that, is do leo's have special rights at state game ranges while civilians are there as well?

thanks,'mikey0086

Default Re: question about state game land range rules

Maybe she was counting on "Professional Courtesy" if approached???

Not that it would be right in that situation...just sayin'

(Allegheny County)

firing from in front of the line when there are other shooters present is very, very bad, imho. very inconsiderate as nobody else can shoot...er, well, they could. bullets whizzing by a few yards to her side would prolly clue her in as to why what she was doing was probably a bad idea.:

(disclaimer: do not actually do that.)
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by mikey0086 View Post
    the question, after making you all read that, is do leo's have special rights at state game ranges while civilians are there as well?
    They don't have any legal "special rights", but they can do just about anything they want without repercussion, so practically speaking they can shoot full auto belt feds. Unless and until we as a society demand full accountability from the police, this is what we will get.

I want to add I thought you handled it great by walking away. Police in the Commonwealth, and nationwide are notoriously violent to those who let them know they are breaking the law or behaving unacceptably. Stay safe.

(Wayne County)

From http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapJtoc.html

It appears that if she legitimately had an exemption by the regional director she may be legit. See below.

Of course, from what you posted, it sounds like she could have handled it a bit better from a common courtesy angle.

Subchapter J. SHOOTING RANGES

Sec.

135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    135.182. Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176.

Cross References

This subchapter cited in 58 Pa. Code § 135.41 (relating to State Game Lands).

§ 135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    (a) General provisions. In addition to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) and except as provided in § 135.182 (relating to Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176), the following pertain to lands under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, designated as rifle or handgun ranges:

(1) Rifle and handgun ranges are open from 8 a.m., prevailing time, until sunset Monday through Saturday and from 12 noon to sunset Sundays, unless otherwise posted; except the Sunday immediately preceding the regular antlered and antlerless deer seasons and the regular bear season, when the hours are 8 a.m. to sunset.

(2) A range may be reserved for exclusive use by an organized group from January 1 through October 1. An organized group desiring to reserve the range shall make necessary arrangements through the appropriate regional director or a designee at least 20 days in advance.

(3) An individual may not use the range when in use on days when it is reserved by an organized group.

(4) An individual or an organized group using the range is responsible for keeping the area clean and free of debris, and may not discard, deposit, leave or throw litter except in approved refuse containers. Range users shall remove targets from range backboards when shooting is completed and prior to leaving the range.

(5) The Commission is not responsible for anyone injured on the range. An individual using Commission owned ranges does so at his own risk and assumes all responsibility for injuries to a person or property caused by or to him.

(6) When more than one person is using the range, a range officer shall be designated.

(7) An individual under 16 years of age may not use the range unless accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.

(8) The appropriate regional director or designee may close a range by posting signs to that effect.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee for military or law enforcement training, it is unlawful to:
    (1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.

(2) Discharge a firearm, except from an established shooting station on the firing line at a paper target placed on a permanent target backboard.

(3) Discharge armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, tracer or multiple projectile ammunition.

(4) Be intoxicated, use or possess an intoxicating beverage or controlled substance on the range.

(5) Possess an automatic weapon.

(6) Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).

(7) Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.

(c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.

Authority

The provisions of this § 135.181 amended under the Game and Wildlife Code, 34 Pa.C.S. § § 721(a) and 2102(a).
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    From http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapJtoc.html

It appears that if she legitimately had an exemption by the regional director she may be legit. See below.
    those exemptions are for when the ranges are closed to the public for organized police training/qualifying. they are not for individual officers when there are members of the public there shooting.
    F*S=k

(Lackawanna County)

Safety and obeying the law seem to hold no concern for people there. I shoot at the same range and see the same thing. Though at the 100yrd rifle range. I've even seen people walk down without warning in a lull and set up targets then open up cases, whip out a shotgun(already loaded) and blast away at 20 feet from the hip.
    My goodness isn't that good for the backboard? No wonder they are always ripped to pieces! In that case I left, but I talk to people when they load too many in a mag.
    I am more than willing to move up closer when shooting pistol if someone asks but to just walk up without warning foreward of the firing line? LEO or not I'll let them know how intelligent they are (politely of course).
    Excuse me, your ahead of several loaded firearms, you might want to back up it's not safe.
    At SGL 300 you can see all the best (and worst) of gun ownership if you hang around a couple hours. I said in another post about this place I got crossed by an elderly woman with a loaded revolver twice the last time I went. Sheesh.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

So since she was a cop, did any of the rounds actually hit the target? LOL
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    So since she was a cop, did any of the rounds actually hit the target? LOL
    lol, yes she did, but not as tight a group as you would think from that distance, about the size of a paper plate, i think at 20 yards she would have missed half her shots.

was i right to say anything to her, or to anyone else for that matter?, or should i just amscray when i see that type of behavior?

(Beaver County)

Time to pony up for a membership at a private club.

The less exposure to arrogant idiots, the longer you will tend to live, sanely.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast