Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 911 Operator Training for "Man with a gun" Call

Does anyone know how 911 operators (in PA) are trained regarding the handling of someone calling and saying "there is a man with a gun"? I'd be curious to know. I know you all know why I'd ask this... they should be told to follow-up quickly with "what is he doing with the gun?" and then decide from there whether it is a situation or not. If the answer is "he's walking around the Produce section feeling up the cantaloupes", well, then, the operator should say "call me back if he starts throwing them in the air and shooting at them".

It seems, from the accounts posted on here, that they dispatch an officer no matter what the "man with a gun" is doing.

As I typed this, I remembered that they always dispatch if there is a hang-up call. That makes sense. So, maybe it is the case, if you call 911, a cop is coming, no matter what you say?
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(York County)

Default Re: 911 Operator Training for "Man with a gun" Call

"Cry, havoc! And let slip the dogs of war."

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

This is so weird.....

Ok so when I woke up this morning I had this exact idea, I was like that's a really good idea. Fast forward till now, and having completely forgotten it the whole day, but I still remembered that I had a good idea, until now seeing this post it came back to me.
    Last edited by poorman; August 17th, 2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: grammar

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    "call me back if he starts throwing them in the air and shooting at them".
    hahahahah!! that's great. perfect response.

(Lancaster County)

When I was Oc'ing in wawa and someone called the police, the dispatch put it under "Suspicious Activity".

(Luzerne County)

The dispatchers don't have the option to disregard a call like you describe. Sure they can ask questions, but the call will still be forwarded to the police dept.

The officers are then the ones who can say.........."we'll respond when he does something besides feeling melons". The officer may respond to check it out for himself, by that I mean responding and observing what the person is doing. If he's doing nothing more than feeling melons...........no interaction is required.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    As I typed this, I remembered that they always dispatch if there is a hang-up call. That makes sense. So, maybe it is the case, if you call 911, a cop is coming, no matter what you say?
    It make a lot of sense. There are many situations where someone is able to dial 911 but unable to speak.

I agree that the question "What is he doing with the gun?" should be asked. It's very important to know. Either way, it should be left up to the police to determine whether (and how) they need to respond.

(Monroe County)

Well, they'll have to come up with some sort of filter I would think. The more folks carry or open carry, the more misallocation of resources there will be. Forget the gunned man feeling melons, there's a robbery in progress a few miles away.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Well, they'll have to come up with some sort of filter I would think. The more folks carry or open carry, the more misallocation of resources there will be. Forget the gunned man feeling melons, there's a robbery in progress a few miles away.
    The 'filter', as said by Steve, is the officer. 911 dispatchers have NO authority or discretion when it comes to incomming 911 calls. Each and every one must not only be documented but also dispatched (or pended) within a certain timeframe. (Usually 90seconds from disconnect).

Officers are able to use their discretion (as well as department policy) what they do with the calls they are dispatched to.

3 words that permiate the world we live in. Liability, Liability, Liability.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnUSCG View Post
    The 'filter', as said by Steve, is the officer. 911 dispatchers have NO authority or discretion when it comes to incomming 911 calls. Each and every one must not only be documented but also dispatched (or pended) within a certain timeframe. (Usually 90seconds from disconnect).

Officers are able to use their discretion (as well as department policy) what they do with the calls they are dispatched to.

3 words that permiate the world we live in. Liability, Liability, Liability.
    I agree. Perhaps then it's a matter of the dispatcher determining whats an actual emergency?
    A man with a gun grocery shopping doesn't sound to me like it warrents a 911 call.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast