Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Wild West Philly: Vigilantes Beat Alleged Rapist

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...ed-Rapist.html

Wild West Philly: Vigilantes Beat Alleged Rapist
    Police rewarded past vigilantes, setting a dangerous precedent
    By TERESA MASTERSON
    Updated 4:49 PM EDT, Mon, Aug 17, 2009

Getty An Overbrook woman was raped early Saturday morning as she waited for her bus at 56th and Lansdowne to go to work. Later that day she reportedly saw the alleged rapist and chased him down. Her neighbors followed suit, reports Metro and 6ABC.

Nineteen-year-old Jamil Harper was chased down, beaten and physically held by a group of people until police arrived.

According to 6ABC, word of the rape had spread throughout the Overbrook neighborhood and residents had been hunting for him all day.

“We take justice in our own hands if we have to," Lou Colzie told 6ABC, using language right of a spaghetti western. He was one of about 20 residents who captured Harper.

This is not a new phenomenon in Philadelphia. Mayor Michael Nutter and the Philadelphia Police Department have not only encouraged such behavior, but have actively rewarded it.

Consider the case of Jose Carrasquillo, who was accused of raping an 11-year-old girl in Kensington earlier this summer. In June, a group from the girl’s neighborhood tracked him down and beat him so severely that he spent two days in the hospital.

Mayor Nutter gave a speech exalting Carrasquillo’s mob for its “passion” and Philadelphia Police rewarded the vigilantes with $11,500 -- $10,000 funded by Philly’s Fraternal Order of Police and $1,500 by a local business.

After that, it was completely forseeable that a mob would again take justice into its own hands. If the authorities are at all embarrassed about outsourcing their responsibilities, or about the fact that a victim feels she has to turn to street justice, it doesn't show.

(Venango County)

Default Re: Wild West Philly: Vigilantes Beat Alleged Rapist

Although it is good to see citizens taking an active role, according to the article, they are needlessly beating on people. They are only allowed to do that if the perp or suspect is resisting.

What if the perp is a law abiding citizen who is armed? He would be allowed to use self defense I would think. IANAL.

Especially with the history that the mobs are beating up on people, he would be in reasonable fear of life and limb.

Besides, wasn't there a recent case where they jumped the wrong person? I think it was in PA, possibly Philly but can't recall. I do recall it was posted on our boards, though.

Read or google about eyewitnesses and how terrible or corrupted their memories can be. It has been studied and verified.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Philadelphia County)

The lack of prosecution from the Philly DA coupled with the fact that the 1st group of vigilantes were rewarded with $10k is going to lead to some major lawsuits when 1 of these mobs attack the wrong person.

I can see the future headline of: Man shoots at mob that chased him 2 blocks thinking he just robbed an old lady. And then Ramsey holds a press conference saying the guy didn't rob the old lady but they arrested him for using a firearm in self defense and he needs to get the guns off the street.

I really wish that the state gov would use the request of Philly for the 1% sales tax increase as a way to strong arm reform in the city since the city can't reform itself.

(Philadelphia County)

Exactly, the Philadelphia authorities have nobody to blame but themselves for these vigilante beatings. Which probably means they'll blame us.

(Monroe County)

I find it disturbing that a mob can be conjured simply by the claim of a clearly rattled woman. She was assaulted by an individual and THAT DAY saw and chased him down?!? Thats remarkable but I certainly wouldnt beat a person on her word alone. Certainly apprehend and detain but he has rights after all and until someone can make an arrest and positive ID, he certainly shouldn't have been sentenced by a mob.
    Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by FMJ; August 17th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Lackawanna County)

Can he press charges for unlawful detention and assault? I mean it's not like she's defending herself now that the rape is over. I would think it would be a second incident.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

The lady knew it was him because he looked like the attached photo.

Bronson probably helped identify him too.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mootness View Post
    The lady knew it was him because he looked like the attached photo.

Bronson probably helped identify him too.
    Yeah, that's what street thugs look like in the movies...

But believe me, senator... I knew Jamil... and he's no Jamil.

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    Can he press charges for unlawful detention and assault? I mean it's not like she's defending herself now that the rape is over. I would think it would be a second incident.
    He can press charges for anything he wants. It doesn't mean they're going to go anywhere.

What chaps my ass about this is that it's perfectly okay for an angry mob to chase someone down and beat the living snot out of them when they THINK the perp might have been the one that raped someone earlier that day - and on top of that they get $10K plus as a reward...

BUT...

someone riding their bicycle who is viciously attacked by a couple of thugs and defends himself against the attack while it is taking place is charged with attempted murder.

(Venango County)

IANAL but I foresee possibility of civil suit.

Whether the mob had the wrong person or the right person a suit is still possible.

That person was denied due process and was attacked/assaulted (assuming they did not resist with force). Their rights were violated.

We have use of force laws and used of deadly force laws as well.

Even had the suspect originally resisted, some of these stories sound as though the suspect was beaten severely, indicating at the minimum, excessive force was used to punish and harm.

I don't like scumbag criminals, don't believe they should be considered ill or downtrodden poor souls, but I believe in trying to do the right thing. Two wrongs don't make a right, and one of these days, they will 'accidentally' kill the wrong person.

The police or political unit in power should try to publicly educate on the proper use of force at the very least. But they either look the other way or they try to get the populace to believe that the public has no right to do anything...leave it to the professionals etc.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast