Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Has anyone used a 2x ACOG?

I have one on the way to me for testing on my AR. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

(York County)

Default Re: Has anyone used a 2x ACOG?

I'd like to know too. Main reason I want a 4x ACOG is that I have standard front sight post and the 4x magnification would be enough so that you don't see it through the scope. i've also been looking at the TA11 with 3.5x, don't know if that one would interfere with a standard front sight post or not. The 2x and 3x ACOG's just look goofy to me, not as cool as the 4x or 3.5x models IMO.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    I'd like to know too. Main reason I want a 4x ACOG is that I have standard front sight post and the 4x magnification would be enough so that you don't see it through the scope. i've also been looking at the TA11 with 3.5x, don't know if that one would interfere with a standard front sight post or not. The 2x and 3x ACOG's just look goofy to me, not as cool as the 4x or 3.5x models IMO.
    1. I'll be cutting down my FSB into a low pro gas block, as the 2x models do not have enough magnification to clear it.

2. I don't buy stuff for my gun because of how "cool" it looks, and if you do, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

(Chester County)

I don't care for them ( I used a TA472). The eye relief is iffy (I shoot nose to CH) and inside 50yds it is not very fast on target. It is fine at 75yds and out but for drills inside 50 I don't care for them... It is no where near as fast as the H1 you are selling at close distances.

But it sounds like you are looking to build a longer range precision rifle so it might no be a issue for you. That said for precision shooting out to 500yds, I would recommend a 3-5X optic with a 2MOA reticle or crosshair etc. Check out the Acupoints they are a nice bang for the buck. I linked a review for you a while back for them, check em out. Good luck on your new project.
    Last edited by d90king; August 15th, 2009 at 09:35 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I have only shot an ACOG once - I think it was one of the 4x models. I didn't like it. It was to slow for me up close and it made me dizzy trying to shoot with both eyes open. So, I probably shouldn't comment but oh well.

To me, a 2x optic is a waste of time / money. It wont do anything well. It will suck inside 50yds (compared to an aimpoint / eotech) and it will suck at distances over 100yds. 2x just isn't enough to help you out at distance and it slows you down up close. Plus you loose the unlimited eye relief of a RDS.

Again, I know you asked for users of the 2x model and that isn't me but I just can not see any practical benefit over an aimpoint / eotech for up close (inside 200 yards) and it, 2x doesn’t give you enough magnification to be useful at distance. I would think a 1-4 or 1-5 power optic (don’t you already have one of them) would be better suited but I’m not even that fond of the 1x optics because they are not a true 1x and they slow me down up close.

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that for anything inside 200yds, I’m happy with an aimpoint / eotech. After 200yds, I like at min 4x and even think 10x is great. It is really hard to get one optic that fits every situation.

Good luck though and please report back when you get it. I'd love for you to tell me that i'm full of poop and the 2x is the best thing since running water.
    Last edited by Guns4Fun; August 15th, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that for anything inside 200yds, I’m happy with an aimpoint / eotech. After 200yds, I like at min 4x and even think 10x is great. It is really hard to get one optic that fits every situation.

Good luck though and please report back when you get it. I'd love for you to tell me that i'm full of poop and the 2x is the best thing since running water.
    You can also always add a 3x or 4x magnifier with your aimpoint/eotech sight. I think those are the most versatile setups, though nothing is perfect.

I've played with a few acogs. For further out target tracking and such they are top notch, but like others have touched on close range shots are gonna take you longer than needed to get on target with. atleast thats how it was for me

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    What kind of co-witness you get varies greatly depending on the mount and spacers you use. I like Larue and they have a lot of different mounting options for tactical optics:

http://www.laruetactical.com/

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    1. I'll be cutting down my FSB into a low pro gas block, as the 2x models do not have enough magnification to clear it.

2. I don't buy stuff for my gun because of how "cool" it looks, and if you do, you need to reevaluate your priorities.
    My priorities for this project simply include to have a cool looking, fun to shoot, range toy. That being said, I probably wouldn't use a 2x scope on any rifle unless I tried it first and really fell in love with it, which I doubt. I'm not sure of your priorities but if it's a SHTF rifle then I would go with Guns4fun and get an EOTech or Aimpoint. Any amount of magnification is going to slow you down in fast close quarters scenarios. You can always add a 3x or 4x magnifier if you want.

And yes get a Larue mount for it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    What kind of co-witness you get varies greatly depending on the mount and spacers you use. I like Larue and they have a lot of different mounting options for tactical optics:

http://www.laruetactical.com/
    There is no such thing as cowitness with a magnified optic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast