Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101

(Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger SP101

Hey all!

Im in the market for a Ruger SP101....any ideas? I own all semis (Glock 17&32 and KelTec P32) but Im interested in owning a revolver.

Thanks!

Cerb

I'm in the same boat, all autos, but have been looking around, but I prefer the GP100 (larger frame) with adj. rear sight. It is arguably one of the best stock revolvers around. If your looking to stick with .38 loads at the range and still carry your autos the smaller frame should be ok, but on the
    heavier.357 loads the larger frame will help absorb more recoil.

Semper Fi,
    John

btw, you still active or reserve?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, all autos, but have been looking around, but I prefer the GP100 (larger frame) with adj. rear sight. It is arguably one of the best stock revolvers around. If your looking to stick with .38 loads at the range and still carry your autos the smaller frame should be ok, but on the
    heavier.357 loads the larger frame will help absorb more recoil.

Semper Fi,
    John

btw, you still active or reserve?
    Neither my brother!

I was active from 94-99. Never did any reserve time and left the IRR in Aug 2001.
    "SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS"

A man who has no patriotic feeling is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Good, I just finished my IRR, I tried the regular reserve fore 6 months but hated it...still love and miss the Corps, but I think with me it had to be an all or nothing lifestyle...

If your looking for a good Ruger I saw a used Ruger Security Six at Kings Shooters Supply in King of Prussia for $250?? or $300, not sure of the overall shape, I was picking up a Kimber and my wife would kill me if I even handled the Ruger tonight.

Also, the Gun and Kinfe show is in Harrisburg this weekend id you want to do some browsing.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Hey all!

Im in the market for a Ruger SP101....any ideas? I own all semis (Glock 17&32 and KelTec P32) but Im interested in owning a revolver.

Thanks!

Cerb
    The SP101 is an excellent little handgun. I have a 3" that has about 200K rounds through it, about 30% of those were full power mags. The gun still locks up tight and shoots where I want it to. It has a Hogue grip(comfortable but a bit big) and a few years ago I bead-blasted the finish. I keep mine loaded with Speer GoldDot 125 gr. Mags.

My wife bought a 2" last year. It is still stock, shoots well, and she is deadly with it @ 7-10 yards. She has no problem scoring 8-ring or better @ 25 yards on NRA B-27 targets. She keeps it loaded with 125 gr. JHP Specials.

We both load from Speed Strips.

The above mentioned GP-100 will be a great first revolver. For defense I would get the 4", for target get the 6". I know an old guy that does quite well with a 6" GP-100 in PPC. He usually keeps the custom gun shooters working for their higher scores. Now and then he just makes them look bad. This gun can be loaded with L-Frame speed loaders.

My next revolver will be a 4" S&W 686 .357Mag with adjustable night sights.
    Do not worry about the bullet with your name on it. Instead, worry about the buckshot addressed, "To whom it may concern"

(Philadelphia County)

Good, I just finished my IRR, I tried the regular reserve fore 6 months but hated it...still love and miss the Corps, but I think with me it had to be an all or nothing lifestyle...

If your looking for a good Ruger I saw a used Ruger Security Six at Kings Shooters Supply in King of Prussia for $250?? or $300, not sure of the overall shape, I was picking up a Kimber and my wife would kill me if I even handled the Ruger tonight.

Also, the Gun and Kinfe show is in Harrisburg this weekend id you want to do some browsing.
    The only thing I missed was my job...I loved being on the ship (Carrier) with my squadron...but I hated all the other BS....

A man who has no patriotic feeling is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Which ship? My brother was with VMFA 251 on the Lincoln and the America.

I pumped out with the Grunts on the Tarrawa LHA-1, personally I didn't care for the boat that much, but after a few months in the desert even the steel beach looked good, oh and that first beer day onboard after was pure bliss...

(Philadelphia County)

Which ship? My brother was with VMFA 251 on the Lincoln and the America.

I pumped out with the Grunts on the Tarrawa LHA-1, personally I didn't care for the boat that much, but after a few months in the desert even the steel beach looked good, oh and that first beer day onboard after was pure bliss...
    I was on 3 ships...the Nimitz, Stennis and Connie...with VMFA-314 (Black Knights...remember Independance Day with Will Smith?). I did a "world cruise" on the Nimitz (started in SanDiego ended up in VA....hehe) and did some workups on the other 2.

Haha beer day...I wouldnt have wanted to be on a Grunt transport...too many jarheads! I hated the middle east....giant sandbox!

Hmm i would buy a security Six just to have it as an investment piece if its in good condition, many still looking for a good Security 6
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Oh trust me, if it doesn't walk away soon, it'll be mine regardless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast