Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pizza Hut fires employee after resisting robbery - gun policy

http://tinyurl.com/2b37l6

I stopped eating at Pizza slut years ago.Too bad customers don't put heat on companies that prohibit concealed carry. Does your emplyer allow concealed carry?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pizza Hut fires employee after resisting robbery - gun policy

It's a shame that he got fired, they should have made an exception in the rule.

That being said, I really can't blame them in the day and age of lawsuits. Just no room for common sense. My employer also does not allow carry, and I am still waiting on the permit but so far there has never been a situation that i was afraid for my safety. In fact, the only time I get nervous is when our one female employee is working by herself especially late at night.

Brian

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Does your emplyer allow concealed carry?

Mine allows it, see this post : http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...html#post47350

in this thread: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...html#post46653

(Allegheny County)

Here's another link for you guys:
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=38726

I think old boy needs to find a lawyer
    Gun Control means using both HANDS!!!

(Allegheny County)

OH MY GOD! That manager VIOLATED COMPANY POLICY!

I don't recall my company policy on having a firearm on the property... I'm guessing it's like 99% of companies in that we aren't allowed.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bedford County)

I'm all for carrying a handgun while at work.

But after seeing that video tape, and hearing the story...I dont think the guy reacted the correct way.

It shows the gunmen grab the cash then split for the door. The manager FOLLOWS THEM to the door, and opens fire in the parking lot endangering others lives over money.

IMHO, the correct thing to do would be call 911 and take up a DEFENSIVE position behind the counter to protect himself and customers IF they came back in or opened fire.

If he was in fear for his life...why did he follow them to the door then shoot into what could have been a parking lot full of people?

PIZZA HUTS' rules against carry SUCK....but he could have used more common sense. He's no "hero" in my book.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    I'm all for carrying a handgun while at work.

But after seeing that video tape, and hearing the story...I dont think the guy reacted the correct way.

It shows the gunmen grab the cash then split for the door. The manager FOLLOWS THEM to the door, and opens fire in the parking lot endangering others lives over money.

IMHO, the correct thing to do would be call 911 and take up a DEFENSIVE position behind the counter to protect himself and customers IF they came back in or opened fire.

If he was in fear for his life...why did he follow them to the door then shoot into what could have been a parking lot full of people?

PIZZA HUTS' rules against carry SUCK....but he could have used more common sense. He's no "hero" in my book.

That's my basic line of thinking too. When they were out of the store and running away, he was no longer in danger and shouldn't have shot. Even though he wasn't charged, if there's a civil suit filed against him by the wounded robber, his defense will be weak at best.

That point aside, now, thanks to the news media, everyone knows that Pizza hut is an easy target because company policy prohibits it's employees from carrying firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    If he was in fear for his life...why did he follow them to the door then shoot into what could have been a parking lot full of people...
    There are questions, but he hasn't been charged. Right now the issue is Pizza Hut firing another person lawfully protecting himself. Previous instance in 2004:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=38726
    "I don't spend my money with businesses that openly discriminate against people such as myself who understand that the police have no affirmative duty to protect any particular citizen and that no company is worth dying for – particularly yours."

Ouch. However, appropriate.

(Bedford County)

Got ya.

I'm not saying he should be charged with anything, and I think he should have been allowed to carry at work. For that matter...I dont even go to Pizza Sluts cause the grease they use gives me the screamin' sh*ts. We eat at OIP Pizza around here.

I'm just saying that it didnt make sense to follow the guys outside. NOTHING good can come from that type of action. Best case senerio...he kills both gunmen and gets Pizza Huts money back. He then faces possible charges and is labeled a hero by the right, and a murderer by the left. Worst case...he gets killed trying to get the money back.

Like I said, IMHO his best course of action would have been to scream to a co-worker to call 911, and take up a defensive position to protect himself and others if they decided to come back in shooting.

Had the gunmen started shooting INSIDE the store, or had him afraid for his life while inside the store...and he felt as if he no choice but to draw and shoot....then my thoughts would be different. I'm all for self defense.

These types of situations always suck for the good guys. I just wish CCW owners would think more about DEFENDING themselves, and not do the extra stupid things that can get you in big trouble or even killed.
    Last edited by BUCKMARK; June 15th, 2007 at 01:16 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I understand what you're saying about him following them instead of staying inside... I thought the exact same thing, but there's another possible scenario that could have happened.
    Is it possible that he went to see which direction they were headed and/or what type of vehicle they may have used to flee? I think a lot of people would want to do what they can to help the police ID/catch the criminals. I think he said they pointed a gun at him at that point, (outside) if so... self defense. (in MY opinion)

Just a thought. I wasn't there and I didn't go back and read the article again, so maybe I'm wrong.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast