Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Tokarev SVT40 Question

I picked up a tokarev SVT 40 some time ago (its the one on the right in the pics). I think it's a 1941 Tula (has the star with the arrow on the stock, rails on sides of the receiver, no sniper notch, original slotted flash suppressor).

Does anyone know of a mojo-like aftermarket sight for this thing? I just don't like the original sights too much.

It's in better shape than any of the one's I've seen at gun shows and is a blast to shoot.(pun intended). I don't want to do anything permenant to it. I tried contacting mojo, they said they had a prototype, but in follow up, doesn't seem like they're going to do one.

Also, while I'm at it:

I can't seem to find an import mark of any kind on this thing, did they mark them somewhere that isn't obvious?

The stock is beautiful, laminated with kind of a finn m39 look to the wood: did the russians originally laminate these stocks, or was this likely done by someone who owned it? (attached are some crappy pics, doesn't do it justice). It doesn't appear to be arsenal refurb, as the charging handle/bolt isn't plum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Tokarev SVT40 Question

a real good place to look up your rifle is collecting and shooting the surplus rifle.I have 3 STV 40's and they are fun there is no after market sight that I know of.did you look to see it there is an SA stamped on your gun would be on the receiver if you do your gun would be a finn capture.do to the lack of wood during the war the russian and finns made a lot of lam stocks as to weather or not yours is one you'll have to find someone more knowable then me.hope this helps.also look on the barrel near muzzle and front sight for an import mark.I seem to remember reading some where the the first ones to come in to the US came from finnland and had no import mark an were in really good shape not a 100% on that but maybe someone else does.check the web there are other sites for russian WW2 guns out there.good luck with and enjoy your piece of history.crazywolf

I concur, there were two waves of SVT-40s into the US. The first wave was sometime in the 1950s, when a batch of Finn surplus SVT-40s came in. Again, in the early 1990s more SVT-40s came in directly from Russia. I won't post what they sold for, but I will say it was -far- less than what they sell for now.

It appears from your photo that your bolt carrier isn't blued. If so, and lacking an import mark, you likely have a Finn wartime capture. Recent import examples also have electropencilling on the bolt and/or magazine. I have not seen any Finn capture SVT-40s with electropencilling. As another poster pointed out, look for an SA stamp somewhere to verify this.

The difference is of interest mostly to collectors, I had a Finn capture SVT-40 I shot for decades without a problem. The biggest challenge was funding the $1 per round ammunition it required, since the only 7.62x54R available in the 1960s & 1970s was Norma. Fortunately it wasn't corrosive.

I haven't seen any SVT-40s with laminated stocks, nor have I heard of any produced after the end of W.W.II. From your photos, your stock doesn't appear to be laminated, a closeup photo would tell us for certain. I have seen many SVT-40 rifles with repair patches and splices in the stocks, perhaps this is what you are seeing?

If you have a true laminated stock, you have a very rare specimen. If you could post a few closeups of your rifle, it would clear up these details.

FWIW, keep the bore and the gas system sparkling clean, and treat the piston threads with anti-seize. Also read up on corrosive ammo cleaning if you haven't done so already. Otherwise, you might be posting in the future for an SVT mechanic. [8^).
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
    did you look to see it there is an SA stamped on your gun would be on the receiver if you do your gun would be a finn capture.do to the lack of wood during the war the russian and finns made a lot of lam stocks
    I don't see any "SA" stamp, so I don't think it's a finn capture. As for the stock, it feels pretty light, almost like pine. I actually was afraid that I might damage it (my 12 gun safe is getting pretty crowded with milsurps): I heard that the AVT stock was more robust and was thinking about trying to get one.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I won't post what they sold for, but I will say it was -far- less than what they sell for now.^).
    I saw some stuff about the price when I was looking (got mine for $800, which in today's market and given the condition of the rifle, seemed like a steal). But from what I understand, 20 yrs ago, they were very inexpensive.

It appears from your photo that your bolt carrier isn't blued. If so, and lacking an import mark, you likely have a Finn wartime capture. Recent import examples also have electropencilling on the bolt and/or magazine. I have not seen any Finn capture SVT-40s with electropencilling. As another poster pointed out, look for an SA stamp somewhere to verify this.

I looked and couldn't find any electro pencil or SA mark. Question: as i understand it, the Finns liked to remove the front sight shroud (my word, don't know what it's exactly called) so the front sight post was freestanding. Did they do this to the SVT 40 too? If so, mine hasn't been removed: would this conclusively prove that it's not a Finn capture?

I haven't seen any SVT-40s with laminated stocks, nor have I heard of any produced after the end of W.W.II. From your photos, your stock doesn't appear to be laminated, a closeup photo would tell us for certain. If you have a true laminated stock, you have a very rare specimen. If you could post a few closeups of your rifle, it would clear up these details.
    Will post a pic of the stock. "laminated" is my word, maybe inartfully applied, it appears to have the same sheen to it that my M44 had. Classicarms called it "laminated" with respect to the m44, so I did same. My 91/30 doesn't have that coat and wasn't sold as such (they called it "hardwood"), so I just used that term. The guy I bought the svt40 from didn't know squat about it, he was selling it for a friend who inherited it from a collector who had passed away.

FWIW, keep the bore and the gas system sparkling clean, and treat the piston threads with anti-seize. Also read up on corrosive ammo cleaning if you haven't done so already. Otherwise, you might be posting in the future for an SVT mechanic.
    Will do. Intend to give it light use, I will, however be shooting combloc milsurp.

Question: If rifle thing is not a Finn capture and doesn't have an import mark, is it a possible parts gun? (no complaints if so, becuase whoever put it together got some nice parts). If so, how would I tell?

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter View Post
    I saw some stuff about the price when I was looking (got mine for $800, which in today's market and given the condition of the rifle, seemed like a steal). But from what I understand, 20 yrs ago, they were very inexpensive.
    Oh, I suppose I'll take the bait.

They seldom exceeded $150-$200 in the 1960s. I don't recall the prices jumping significantly before the mid 1990s. Prior to this, SVTs were viewed as very arcane, obscure rifles that shot *very* expensive ammunition. Most people (including me) didn't know what it was on first sight.

I looked and couldn't find any electro pencil or SA mark. Question: as i understand it, the Finns liked to remove the front sight shroud (my word, don't know what it's exactly called) so the front sight post was freestanding. Did they do this to the SVT 40 too? If so, mine hasn't been removed: would this conclusively prove that it's not a Finn capture?
    Not at all. It means your SVT is still intact. The last Finn I possessed was totally intact, except it was mismatched and had the "SA" stamp. Functionally it was excellent, and smelled heavily of housefire well into the 1980s. This was an old 35mm print I scanned years ago of ye olde SVT-40:

Note the bolt carrier in the white, and the thinning blue all over.

Will post a pic of the stock. "laminated" is my word, maybe inartfully applied, it appears to have the same sheen to it that my M44 had. ...
    Laminated stocks resemble plywood, they will have high contrast swirls that follow the profile of the wood.

Here are a few clickable photos for your reference:

Non-laminated "hardwood".

--
    Laminated stocks.

The guy I bought the svt40 from didn't know squat about it, he was selling it for a friend who inherited it from a collector who had passed away....

Question: If rifle thing is not a Finn capture and doesn't have an import mark, is it a possible parts gun? (no complaints if so, becuase whoever put it together got some nice parts). If so, how would I tell?...
    You may have answered your own question (see bold text, above).

An SVT-40 lacking an import mark or an SA stamp may have come home with a returning GI from World War II. The Germans made extensive use of captured SVT-38s and -40s, there are quite a number of photos of German soldiers with SVT-40s. SVT-40s were very hot property on the eastern front, particularly with the Germans. Here are a couple images:

--

Here's something to keep an eye out for: an original SVT-40 tool kit in the pouch:

Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Chester County)

I thought B-Square came out with a mount for the SVT? If not, there are repo mounts and scopes on the market that will fit the scope rails along the side of the receiver...just no way to lock it on. Good luck, nice rifle.

I have a stv40 1941 with the SA marking. This is a nice rifle, with the scope rails. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. I shoot my sks and ar quite often. This rifle just sets in the vault most of the time. I have not quite made up my mind yet, because I have had this one a long time.