Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: AK group shoot/ local training group

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    Depending on the scheduled day, I'm down. Don't have an AK, though.
    I'm sure that one of us that has more than one, will gladly loan you a rifle for the day. I know I have one you can borrow if nothing else.

But.... you got to buy your own ammo.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Bucks County)

I'd be up for this.

(Cambria County)

Was wondering what the minimum needs would be to participate in the class?

What gear and how much ammo should we bring? That kind of stuff.

I know a rifle is required. What else would be highly suggested if not required?

Oh, and an address where we may be holding the class. Want to check out the mileage and time for travel.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Was wondering what the minimum needs would be to participate in the class?

What gear and how much ammo should we bring? That kind of stuff.

I know a rifle is required. What else would be highly suggested if not required?

Oh, and an address where we may be holding the class. Want to check out the mileage and time for travel.

Synergy and I will be going over this in the next hour or so... He will be heading over shortly and I will post requirements in a bit...

(Chester County)

Alright.... d90king and I got SOME stuff worked out...but we still have a ways to go.

Here's a working overview...which is all subject to modification as this evolves.

As stated, this is not a training class, or a replacement for a training class.....this is just a couple of us who are willing to share what we've learned about the AK platform, and how to shoot them. Hopefully as other members here get out and take classes from different folks, they'll pickup the torch and do the same...who knows?

Anyway, the emphasis is on going over good fundamentals and basic techniques that will give folks a leg up for their first class. d90king and I are both big on accuracy...so we'll be focusing on making good hits on target, rather than just shooting a lot of rounds.... the round count won't be that high.

We want to have folks bring a pistol, so that we can go over the fundamentals with those in addition to the AK. Transitions may very well be a topic for a later date...it depends on how quickly folks feel like moving on, and the experience level of the folks coming. Time is probably going to prevent this from happening...sorry.

Also, very important: Come with your rifle zero'ed. This isn't the time to find out that your front sight is canted, and you need a vise and a hammer to get it to shoot straight...this is just an expectation we have. Shoot your rifle before you come, and get it hitting about 2" low at 25 yards....this should put you pretty much on, at 100 yards. We'll confirm that the zeros are good...but we're not going to spend all morning adjusting sights. This is something you can do on your own, that will free up a lot of time for the group to do better things than adjust sights. If you need help doing this on your own, ask. We expect rifles to be shooting straight when you show up.

Other than that, a lot is still in the works.

In terms of equipment needed....
    A working AK type rifle - If you have an extra, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring em. Note: I said rifle, not pistol. It needs to have a stock on it. Let's stick to AK's only...no SKS's, no AR's. We can have a different group shoot focusing on those, later.

2 magazines at a minimum - the more you bring, the better. Label them before you show up. Colored electrical tape, a paint pen, nail polish...make sure you can identify your mags from someone elses. Please make sure your mags are good to go, before you arrive.

A rifle sling - already attached, please.

A working pistol - whatever you carry/ have. Please bring a centerfire caliber (.380Auto or up). Holster, mags and ammo also.

Eye and ear protection - muffs will be more convenient...as we'll be shooting/talking/shooting/talking, all day. Putting in and taking out plugs every 5 mins gets to be a pain. Electronic ears rock, but are not necessary.

Food, water, and snacks for the day. We'll break for lunch, but snacks you can nibble on, are a good idea.

Rifle ammo - amount TBA, probably like 250-300....we haven't made it this far yet. It doesn't spoil; never hurts to have more than you need.

Sturdy shoes - sneakers, boots...etc.

Lube - yea, it's an AK, but they still run better wet.

Optional/ encouraged:
    YOUR gear - if you have a chest rig, bug out bag, belt pouches, sub-loads, etc.... bring what YOU have, and what you want to use. I'll probably be carrying mags in my back pocket...this isn't necessary, just bring what you want.

Sunscreen/ bug dope

A hat for the sun

Gloves if you use them

knee/ elbow pads - we'll do some kneeling and prone...if you think you might want them, bring em. we're not gonna spend all day on this stuff...but if you know you've got bad knee's, then plan accordingly.

Camera - for future pic thread

Spare rifles - in case someone's goes down, then everyone can still keep blasting.

Spotting scopes/ staple guns/ pasties - the more people that can hang targets, the faster the day goes.

A lot of specifics still need to get worked out...so things will get firmed up once we can get the range booked, and know how many people that can accommodate, and how we can make this work best within that criteria.

We'll post up what we can, as soon as we know it.

In the mean time, if folks have questions, concerns, requests for topics, etc....throw em out there so we can try and get everyone on the same page, and see how to make this the most beneficial to everyone.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    May be a bit of a drive, but you can count on me being there short of something drastic happening.

It will help me to get myself psychologically prepared to attend a "real class".

I must admit, and already told another member this, that I would feel intimidated to go to a Vickers Class. I know you go to learn, but I really don't want to look like a total Newbie when I attend my first class.

I look forward to any and all tips that you can pass my way and I understand it isn't a formal class, just friends passing good tips to each other.

It will give me something to work on till we see if the rumors are true about that "AK Class In The Spring Around Monroeville.".
    Maybe we can car pull.

I'm in. Anytime in September should work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I want to also thank d90king and synergy for putting this together!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Cambria County)

I'm really getting anxious. Haven't been this excited about shooting the AK in a while.

Looking forward to meeting some of you guys face to face is always nice too.

Can't wait to hear a date mentioned so I can plan the rest of my life around this.

(Cambria County)

Right now the only day that I really hope we don't have it is Sept. 12th. I plan on attending the Bushy Run Tea Party that day with my AK in tow. Oh, And I have Ski Patrol Re-Certification the last weekend in Sept that I have to attend. Damn, I'm busier than I thought I was.

I did order myself an adjustable two point sling. Hopefully it gets here soon. Now to get to the range and see how the iron sights are looking for being sighted in. I decided to not use the scope I have, instead I want to learn how to use the sights well till I can get the scope I really want.

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!

(Chester County)

Any thoughts on date yet?

Would like to start laying plans. Hopefully before hunting season starts, as I could really use this class.

Was looking at my AK the other night, and realized that I really knew very little about this gun at all.

Time to order some parts and dive into it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast