Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Philadelphia "interview" for LTCF

What is it like?
    What kinds of questions do they ask?
    What are the "right" answers to these questions?

I'm a 20 year old, clean cut, white male who is a college student. Not sure if these interviewers take race into account, but there's my info.

P.S. - I'm aware, I will not be going for this until I am 21, I am just curious.

Default Re: Philadelphia "interview" for LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by cmanzi View Post
    What is it like?
    You sit down with an officer (a Detective, I believe) who reviews your paperwork, then asks you a whole truckload of questions. As I recall, they're all of the "yes/no" variety, though I imagine if the qualifying answer is "yes" and you answer "no", you'll have to provide an explanation. It's all background-related stuff, similar to what you already supplied with your application.

The "right" answer to any question they ask is the truthful answer. They can verify anything you tell them, and giving them bad information (either intentionally or otherwise) can result in a denial. I know of one person who has been denied for unintentionally failing to disclose something, so be truthful, even if it's a mark against you.

With all of that said, my interviewing officer was very nice and easy to deal with. It's not nearly as intimidating an experience as it might seem. My caution to you, however, is to get there before they open so you'll be one of the first people they interview. Otherwise, be prepared to wait.

(Philadelphia County)

What is it like?

I'm a 20 year old, clean cut, white male who is a college student. Not sure if these interviewers take race into account, but there's my info.

P.S. - I'm aware, I will not be going for this until I am 21, I am just curious.
    My experience and my girlfriends was that they read the questions off of the application. Polite treatment with no sweat. Don't walk in without all of your docs. Read the instructions on the web site and follow directions. 11 weeks for me and 8 for the girlfriend. I went just before the holidays so that might account for the disparity.

(Philadelphia County)

What is it like?

They asked me a bunch of questions about parking tickets and the like. All yes / no stuff, nothing heavy.

Come to Elk County... you fill out a form and get some of your buddies to be your Ref... Easy as apple pie
    ΑΣΦ

(Philadelphia County)

What is it like?

They ask you all of the questions from on the app. Make sure you have all of your documentation out and ready as soon as you sit down. It goes real quick. The only two questions I was asked that were not on the app was 1) any tatoos and 2) any unpaid parking tickets.

Get there real early. Park in the parking lot on spring garden and 8th right where traffic court is for $5. And walk to 10th st. Trying to find street parking there is a joke.

Shoot me a pm if your headin to the range when your 21. I'm always lookin to go

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    You sit down with an officer (a Detective, I believe) who reviews your paperwork, then asks you a whole truckload of questions. As I recall, they're all of the "yes/no" variety, though I imagine if the qualifying answer is "yes" and you answer "no", you'll have to provide an explanation. It's all background-related stuff, similar to what you already supplied with your application.

The "right" answer to any question they ask is the truthful answer. They can verify anything you tell them, and giving them bad information (either intentionally or otherwise) can result in a denial. I know of one person who has been denied for unintentionally failing to disclose something, so be truthful, even if it's a mark against you.

With all of that said, my interviewing officer was very nice and easy to deal with. It's not nearly as intimidating an experience as it might seem. My caution to you, however, is to get there before they open so you'll be one of the first people they interview. Otherwise, be prepared to wait.
    wow i didnt know they put u in a interrogation room with a detective,

sounds like they treat you like ur a murder suspect just to get a LTCF in Philly..

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    wow i didnt know they put u in a interrogation room with a detective,
    Oh, no, you don't go into an interrogation room. There's a series of little counters with chairs that they sit down with you at. They're behind the counter, you're in front of it. Almost like little cubbies. It really is a non-intimidating environment.

(Philadelphia County)

they asked me if there were any judgments against me, that wasn't on the paperwork. There were a few more questions that delved a bit deeper than the ones on the form. They seemed the most concerned about the parking tickets, to tell the truth. The woman I interviewed with was nice enough. It wasn't too intimidating of an environment.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Come to Elk County... you fill out a form and get some of your buddies to be your Ref... Easy as apple pie
    Funny...this is the Philadelphia sub-forum...not Elk county....

I think everyone else covered all the bases on the application process....just dont go down there near any holiday etc....I had renewed around xmas one year and they were closed for a week or two....so afterwards I went down to pick up the renewal and it was standing room only....thank god I wasnt there long.
    Last edited by Kodiak; August 1st, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast