Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 2 references

Default 2 references

Can anyone tell me if the 2 references asked for on the application needs to be 'local' to Pennsylvania for an out-of-state applicant who normally resides someplace other than Pennsylvania (but who holds a valid LTCF from his home state)?

Many thanks to all for your answers - it's the only thing holding up my app.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 2 references

There is no law or requirement that your references must be "locals" or even from PA, however.............many sheriffs who do not know the law will tell you they must be from PA. They should read the law someday.

Thank you, Steve...from what I've read in other threads on this site, they're not even checking these references at least some of the time.

(Jefferson County)

They didn't check my references. I even had a retired state cop as one of them.

(Delaware County)

I used an out of state resident in Delaware county to see what they would do, but no issues.
    The above is not legal advice and is for discussion purposes only. Do not rely on anything posted. If you have a legal question, retain a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by schottos View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the 2 references asked for on the application needs to be 'local' to Pennsylvania for an out-of-state applicant who normally resides someplace other than Pennsylvania (but who holds a valid LTCF from his home state)?

Many thanks to all for your answers - it's the only thing holding up my app.
    If you're applying with sheriff Nau in Centre Co. (the best and fastest way) I don't believe he will care where your refs are from. He is very helpful in issuing out of state LTCFs.

If you pass the background check and have a license/permit from your home state, you should have your LTCF in about a week to 2 weeks after he gets your app

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    There is no law or requirement that your references must be "locals" or even from PA, however.............many sheriffs who do not know the law will tell you they must be from PA. They should read the law someday.
    Ah-men!

Had a whole 'episode' over this very thing during my last LTCF 'renewal' here in Lackawanna County.

At the time, I had only recently moved to Lackawanna from Wayne County - so, I had no Lackawanna Resident references I was comfortable with giving. Also, Sheriff Szymanski is (or, at least, was) one of 'those' Sheriffs who used (possibly still uses) an *unlawfully altered* LTCF Application; and his Deputies (the two I spoke with) insisted that references had to be from Lackawanna County (because it said so on the afore mentioned application).

After a week or two (with very little time to spare left on my, then, current LTCF) - it finally all worked out okay.

Although, my LTCF card does now say I only weigh 150 pounds (I weigh about 235 right now and I could still stand to drop 10 pounds or so, and I was around 255 when I 'renewed' it - perhaps my "2" looked like a "1"?). I'd have to hack off a limb to weigh 150 again.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.