Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Range Report: Beretta 92FS 115gr LRN Handloads <lots of pictures>

Folks,

Nothing new about a Beretta 92FS - they've been out for years. Always wanted one, and RiverOtter sold me his for a good price. I have loads of 9mm reloads on hand, which were begging to be put down range. I found a handy Hickory log for a target. Here's the pistol.

Once I fired a few magazines into the log, I started to think what shape the bullets may be in. These 115gr LRN bullets were leaving absolutely no lead in the barrel - so I deduced they are hard as hell. Sure enough, when I split the log open, the bullets showed little or no expansion.

They averaged five inches of penetration. For the record, these are bullets bought from Kings in King of Prussia, aka, Rogers Better Bullets. I loaded them with 5.6 grains of Unique.

This old Beretta, battle scars and all, will happily put several slugs in the same hole if you take your time and squeeeeeeze the trigger. Here are a handful of same-hole hits:

Best regards,

Ray Wilson

(Chester County)

Default Re: Range Report: Beretta 92FS 115gr LRN Handloads <lots of pictures>

I've always liked the 92FS. Maybe someday I'll get around to picking one up.

Looks like you had a good time. Nice pics. Thanks for sharing!!

(Lebanon County)

I love my Beretta 92fs. It's accurate, smooth, and soft recoil. I was introduced to it in the military so i know it can take abuse. I thought the price was fair at $519.00. Nice pictures.

(Philadelphia County)

That is a broken-in Beretta. Love my 92.

(Berks County)

CDNN has several LEO trade-ins available for under $400. FYI
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(York County)

Thanks for the great pictures! The 92FS is a great firearm.

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the kind words. Indeed, the 92FS is a classic. This one is a joy to shoot - and can deliver fine accuracy when the operator takes time to maintain site alignment whilst concentrating on the trigger pull.

Meanwhile, I recently read a post by a gentleman on this site that struggled with his Beretta 92FS attempting to perform the tap-rack-bang malfunction clearing technique. The poster mentioned that each time he tried the 'rack' portion of the technique, he'd inadvertently put the safety on. The takeaway was that the Beretta with the slide mounted safety was inferior to frame mounted safety pistols in the tap-rack-bang drill. I can see this point, but had to try it myself. I could not for the life of me get the safety to de-cock my 92FS when racking the slide. The safety stayed off.

Since the original posting, I found a bunch of 14 year old 9mm reloads and tried those out as well. They were loaded with Bullseye, and had 124gr lead round nose bullets versus the 115 grainers as seen in the tree trunk. I couldn't tell the difference - they shot just the same as the 115s'. Theoretically, the Bullseye should be dirtier than the Unique.

Again, thanks for the kind words. I feel welcomed by the Beretta 92 club!

Best regards,

Ray

I need to get a FS. I have a 92 F compact which is 3/4" smaller than the full size, but other than that, and the fact they no longer make it, it is identical. Very accurate gun I love it. It would be nice to have both.