Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Purchasing a BB gun in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Thats an extreme case and also a rifle.
    Doesn't matter if it's extreme or a rifle. It's a BB/Pellet gun. They're all considered the same legally. The OP may be looking for a high powered BB rifle to shoot for all we know.

bb GUNS cannot approach those velocities and a pellet (usually lead) is heavier than a steel bb.
    They can and do. You can get a break barrel BB gun at Walmart that'll shoot 1000fps.

I own a few BB guns and they move so slowly that a breeze can push it 5 feet off target within 50 feet.
    Then you have crappy BB guns. I can shoot quarter size groups at that distance.

http://www.air-rifle.net/selecting/selecting.html
    In one test at 60 yards, a .20 Crow Magnum II rifle was able to print a 1.25" group with Kodiak pellets,
    Pigeons and other pest birds require one-inch accuracy at 20 to 30 yards

It's not generally considered a lethal weapon.
    Seriously, they can't be considered equal. Otherwise, you would have to go through a FFL in PA for those too instead of walmarts Toy department.
    I agree. However they can be and are very dangerous.
    Authorities investigate death of child shot by BB gun

Even though sold in the toy departments, I believe you have to be 18 to buy them.
    Last edited by tlgpa; August 13th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    I agree. However they can be and are very dangerous.
    At least on this, we are in agreement.

My argument is however that a 22 and BB can be considered the same.
    I would (reluctantly) stand in the path of a BB at 50 feet. Nothing will happen more than a red dot on my skin. I know that from experience.
    Would you do the same with a .22 round?
    My co2 pistol may be "crappy" but it advertises 800fps and I've been shot with it, didn't break the skin. I've also shot it at tin cans and in some cases, only dented it.
    GENERALLY speaking.. a bb gun is nothing compared to a .22 round.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Even though sold in the toy departments, I believe you have to be 18 to buy them.
    Sorry, I agree with this as well.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Angry Re: Purchasing a BB gun in PA?

All good responses to that question. However, I am a bit confused myself. I went in to the Walmart in the Milford, PA area and attempted to purchase a soft air bb gun at the self check out lane. The terminal stopped and said that verification was needed. The store associate came over, actually a few of them, and asked for my drivers license. I produced my New York license being that I live just over the state line (5 miles). I was then informed that I was NOT allowed to buy the bb gun because I was not a PA resident. I informed them that to the best of my knowledge this was untrue and I also informed them that I have a PA concealed fully carry gun permit and that I can possess and carry any legal firearm. The called a manager over and he too told me that that was the law. The whole time while they were telling me that because I live in NY I could not buy this plastic bb gun, I had a Sig .40 on my hip which PA has no problem with me carrying whatsoever, especially since I am a peace office and investigator.

Can ANYONE please tell me what the deal is with buying a bb gun in PA if you are a non resident?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JWTraders View Post
    All good responses to that question. However, I am a bit confused myself. I went in to the Walmart in the Milford, PA area and attempted to purchase a soft air bb gun at the self check out lane. The terminal stopped and said that verification was needed. The store associate came over, actually a few of them, and asked for my drivers license. I produced my New York license being that I live just over the state line (5 miles). I was then informed that I was NOT allowed to buy the bb gun because I was not a PA resident. I informed them that to the best of my knowledge this was untrue and I also informed them that I have a PA concealed fully carry gun permit and that I can possess and carry any legal firearm. The called a manager over and he too told me that that was the law. The whole time while they were telling me that because I live in NY I could not buy this plastic bb gun, I had a Sig .40 on my hip which PA has no problem with me carrying whatsoever, especially since I am a peace office and investigator.

Can ANYONE please tell me what the deal is with buying a bb gun in PA if you are a non resident?
    Thanks!
    They need to verify that you're over 18, under PA law, § 6304 Sale and use of air rifles.

There's no requirement that they only sell to PA residents, not that I've heard of.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    They need to verify that you're over 18, under PA law, § 6304 Sale and use of air rifles.

There's no requirement that they only sell to PA residents, not that I've heard of.
    In other words Walmart employees being Walmart employees.

(Lehigh County)

Try going through a line with a cashier, if you look old enough, they never even check id.

By the way, I am very impressed, your first post and already know how to use the search feature, +rep for you.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    thay quedtion of the op raises another for me. no big deal but what is the legality of philladelphia's ban on air gun sales? does not the state law override philly's and if not why?

seems we would be better off with them ( air guns ) being considered the same as a .22 here in pa.
    There are actually a few cities that have taken it upon themselves to regulate air rifles and pistols, York is one as well; you are not allowed posession or use within city limits. Because they are not considered firearms they do not fall under the preemption category. Local nosey busybodies, I mean council members (D) can now honestly tell their constituents, "we've done everything we can to control guns, but the state won't let us do any more"!

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    Thats an extreme case and also a rifle. bb GUNS cannot approach those velocities and a pellet (usually lead) is heavier than a steel bb. I own a few BB guns and they move so slowly that a breeze can push it 5 feet off target within 50 feet. It's not generally considered a lethal weapon.
    Seriously, they can't be considered equal. Otherwise, you would have to go through a FFL in PA for those too instead of walmarts Toy department.
    Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk .177 cal. advertised at 1200fps, probably getting closer to 1300fps now, after a solid year of shooting, cleaning, and oiling.

Daisy "Buck" BB rifle, not the most accurate but punched a standard lead BB through a 1/8 glass vase at twenty feet. At that range, that's enough to penetrate flesh methinks.

Any projectile weapon can be fatal if misused is my point here. Hell, slings were the hunting and war weapon of the time before bows were introduced waaaaaaayyyy back when, and they just through pointy rocks!

All that said, New Jersey is freaking insane to regulate BB guns that much. how the hell are kids gonna learn any level of responsibility if they don't get a chance to pick up something like that?
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    Try going through a line with a cashier, if you look old enough, they never even check id.
    ^^^This^^^ Self check out will always ask for ID for purchases that have an age requirement such as ammo, certain OTC meds, etc.
    As stated above, if you look old enough they won't ask for ID
    Jesus is Lord !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast