Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Friend was robbed...what would you have done?

Ok, so a friend of mine was robbed last week at about 40th or 42nd and Chestnut...around there. Apparently, it was in broad daylight. A guy stopped him to simply ask him for money. When the friend told him he only had a dollar or so, he was told that that wouldn't be enough. The robber put his hand behind his back, as if he were concealing in the 6 o'clock position and said, "Come one man, don't make me pull out my piece. That isn't enough, I need more than that."

Now, as some of you may know, I'm a new gun owner. I'm just starting to get into all that is involved with gun ownership. My question to you is, what would you do in this situation? If you're concealing, what is lawful? I know the initial action is that you're supposed to attempt to flee. But, in this instance, what if he does have a gun...and you get shot in the back? Are you able to draw your firearm because you have been threatened with deadly force? Or, do you just have to give him more money (if you have it of course, but what if you don't?)? Just curious because my gut tells me that I should draw in this situation.

My friend isn't a gun owner and ended up walking to an ATM with the guy and gave him $100. This whole situation got me to thinking. What would you do?

(York County)

Default Re: Friend was robbed...what would you have done?

Its hard to say for sure unless your in the situation yourself. But if i truly thought my life was being threatened i would have removed the threat. And you can bet your ass I wouldn't have ended up at an ATM machine. I hope your friend had his account # and PIN# changed.... Glad he's OK. Time for him to make an investment in his life and get a firearm, training, and LTCF.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Ok, so a friend of mine was robbed last week at about 40th or 42nd and Chestnut...around there. Apparently, it was in broad daylight. A guy stopped him to simply ask him for money. When the friend told him he only had a dollar or so, he was told that that wouldn't be enough. The robber put his hand behind his back, as if he were concealing in the 6 o'clock position and said, "Come one man, don't make me pull out my piece. That isn't enough, I need more than that."

Now, as some of you may know, I'm a new gun owner. I'm just starting to get into all that is involved with gun ownership. My question to you is, what would you do in this situation? If you're concealing, what is lawful? I know the initial action is that you're supposed to attempt to flee. But, in this instance, what if he does have a gun...and you get shot in the back? Are you able to draw your firearm because you have been threatened with deadly force? Or, do you just have to give him more money (if you have it of course, but what if you don't?)? Just curious because my gut tells me that I should draw in this situation.

My friend isn't a gun owner and ended up walking to an ATM with the guy and gave him $100. This whole situation got me to thinking. What would you do?
    You can retreat, without turning your back to the threat........
    Just because you are carrying, doesn't mean you can draw, without a clear threat, and you would have to have no retreat route.....

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
    Time for him to make an investment in his life and get a firearm, training, and LTCF.
    So true. With how things are nowadays, especially in Killadelphia, you'be a fool NOT to legally arm yourself and protect yourself from these full on scumbags that think they can just fuck with any innocent citizen. When you choose to legally arm yourself, you really are investing in your life. A different kind of life insurance, as i like to call it.

I hope your friend is OK, if i were you, i'd really try to talk him into getting a LTCF and a firearm, if he doesnt already own a firearm. It could very well save his life one day.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; August 7th, 2009 at 12:10 AM.

(York County)

I'll admit I will be thinking about this for a while, but...

My initial reaction is that this may have been the best $100 he ever spent.

There are so many ways that this scenario could have gone, and the cost could have been... well, way beyond $100.

I assume your friend is OK, you don't actually say. I think he was very lucky. In an ideal situation, he would have been armed, would have seen it coming potentially, and could have drawn to counter the threat rather than allow the BG to "get the drop on him".

From the very start, he was at all times, completely at the mercy of this thief. Not a chance most of us are willing to leave in the hands of a thug.

I hope your friend is OK.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

As a layperson I would think that you would be in fear of death or serious bodily injury and I don't see how you can retreat in complete safety with somebody ready to draw down on you. I think that if I felt I reasonably could I would draw and if I thought that he was going to present a weapon I might have to shoot.

Then again, I might be in jail afterwards.
    Last edited by PA86; August 7th, 2009 at 12:30 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'll admit I will be thinking about this for a while, but...

My initial reaction is that this may have been the best $100 he ever spent.

There are so many ways that this scenario could have gone, and the cost could have been... well, way beyond $100.

I assume your friend is OK, you don't actually say. I think he was very lucky. In an ideal situation, he would have been armed, would have seen it coming potentially, and could have drawn to counter the threat rather than allow the BG to "get the drop on him".

From the very start, he was at all times, completely at the mercy of this thief. Not a chance most of us are willing to leave in the hands of a thug.

I hope your friend is OK.
    I'm sorry...I completely forgot to say but yes, he is fine. I've been trying to get some of my friends on the ownership bandwagon. I hadn't yet tried with him but hopefully this incident will help me in convincing him.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    You can retreat, without turning your back to the threat........
    Just because you are carrying, doesn't mean you can draw, without a clear threat, and you would have to have no retreat route.....
    I understand what you're saying completely. But, to me, it does seem like a clear threat. After all, it is that threat that made him give up more money. If you do retreat, and he does decide to pull out a gun, then where are you at that point? Seems things have just escalated and you might be wishing you were back at the point where you had the element of surprise still on your side. Instead, you are now absolutely helpless.

(Allegheny County)

Perhaps I'd fall to the ground clutching my chest while screaming "MY HEART! MY HEART! SOMEONE CALL AN AMBULANCE!!!"

I bet that fuckhead wouldn't have a "plan B" for something like that.

Honestly though, I couldn't tell you what I'd do, as every situation has it's own subtle nuances which would dictate the course of action.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

I dont know ........ Scream like a little girl while grabbing my crotch yelling im gonna pee ! Im gonna Pee !! LOL
    No longer posting

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast