Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Angry overheard some guys..."Remington 760's are old mens rifles"...what the h___ ?!?

while perusing a local shop that has @ 8 or so used 760's I heard some bad crap...

seems 2 younger guys were burning some daylight and were hanging out; one of 'em picks up one of the 760's and says to the other one..."Remington 760's are old mens rifles. My grandpa has one. Everyone needs to buy bolt actions."

I was taken aback by this and felt that I needed to share my viewpoint; basically I explained why they make great guns for people who shoot pump action shotguns and that the basic skills that it takes to shoot one are transferrable to the other; I further stated that sometimes a followup shot might be necessary in the brush and thickets of PA woods and that a pump action can be worked quickly and efficiently when used by someone who knows how to use them to their full potential; at this point one of them just shrugged his shoulders and looked at me wondering what my deal was; I stated that my dad's 760 is almost 34 years old, mechanically sound, and shoots 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards with Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr in .30-06 (at the same time I pointed to the counter~my dad passed the 760 onto me and I was having some tweaks done to it); I concluded by stating that I was proud to get my dad's gun and that I was having some minor work done to update it and that it will make one helluva deer and bear rifle...

just because something is not the latest and greatest doesn't mean that it is junk!

just wanted to share this considering how popular the Remington pump action rifles are in our fine state...anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

(Centre County)

Default Re: overheard some guys..."Remington 760's are old mens rifles"...what the h___ ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by kmrcstintn View Post
    just because something is not the latest and greatest doesn't mean that it is junk!

Agreed, the old stuff is the good stuff. I only three new rifles, all of which are based on a 40+ year old design. (Ruger M77, 10/22, M1 Garand Normandy Commemorative)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Default Re: overheard some guys..."Remington 760's are old mens rifles"...what the h___ ?!?

Everyone has an opinion, so don't take it so personally. Some people will only buy pump rifles, so it evens out in the end.

I personally like the history behind the WWII rifles, but I also like modern designs as well. It all boils down to the needs/wants of the end user.

(Allegheny County)

kmrcstintn,

How old are you?

I have a Rem 760 in .06 which shot about 2" groups until I started handloading.

I get 1 1/4" groups now by downloading by a grain and a half.

It kills deer almost every year. I started small game hunting with a double 20 and upgraded to a pump 20 so the logical transition to rifle deer hunting was to go with the 760.

I bought it at K-Mart for either $139 or $149. Remember, I'm gettin to be the "old guy" what can't remember.

My 760 is about 31 or 32 yrs old. Never had an issue with it.

What are you having done to your Dad's rifle?

Later, and good luck with that rifle.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

I guess my Remington 870 3" magnum 12 gauge PUMP shotgun is also an old mans gun.
    Can you imagine how many deer have been taken in this state with an old mans lever action 30-30?
    Last edited by ALS; June 12th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.

(Lawrence County)

I love my 760... With 220 gr. bullets in my 30.06 I can take most game animals in North America without a problem...

And I'm sure A LOT of deer and a few bear have been taken with the good old .30-.30

(Delaware County)

Now that I am an "old man" I wish I still had my 760.

One thing you should have mentioned to the whippersnappers, left handed shooters can buy a pump or lever action rifle without having to special order a left handed bolt action gun.

(York County)

You'll read the term "Fudd" used to describe hunters..and used in a derogatory manner. You'll read about Zumbo, wrote chastized folks who like sporting rifles with detachable magazines (one time known (erroneously) as "assault rifles").

We've got to always remember we're all gun owners and Second Amendment supporters. We should not use those terms ourselves.
    Everyone on these forums is more involved then most folks...it's up to us to help others understand who the enemy is (anti-rights people)

(Lebanon County)

to whomever asked...

I am in my mid 30's...just slightly older than the rifle; installing a good recoil pad and maintaining original length of pull, having front swivel stud moved from barrel to tip of forearm on slide action bars, updating 'see through mounts' from 25 yr old extruded aluminum that shoot loose every few years to an updates system utilizing a weaver base and heavy duty clamp on weaver see through mounts (if my dad comes down to hunt this year, I want to maintain the sighting/scope system he is used to); updating the 'wally world' Bushnell Sportsman 3 - 9 x 40 scope to a tougher and clearer Bushnell Trophy 3 - 9 x 40 scope for the endurance factor, and having the whole rifle 'cleaned and overhauled' to make sure all is well with it

it stays in the family and after he is truly done with it, it stays as-is for prosperity

(Centre County)

They can think and say what they want. It won't change my opinion. I have a 7600 in .270 that's my primary deer rifle. Being a left handed shooter, a bolt gun isn't my best option. Even If I bought a LH bolt gun, I could get off a followup shot a lot faster with my 7600 than they could with a bolt action.

Why do the old guys use 760s? Because the old guys know what works. How often do you see an old guy fishing with a zebco reel and an old fiberglass rod, with a fuull stringer of fish next to him? How many times does the old guy come back to camp dragging the biggest buck? The old guys know what they're doing and they know what works and what doesn't. They rely more on skill than on gear.

If those idiots had any clue how many PA deer have fallen to 760s over the years, their jaws would drop right out of their mouths.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast