Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: WWII pistols

Smile WWII pistols

How can I register WWII pistols that were brought back from Germany. I live in NYS and have a valid NYS permit. It is impossible to try to get them registered here, however at my recent visit to Allentown gun show, I was told by a PA dealer that they could transfer them to my dealer in NY, however I would have to transport them to PA and I am not a resident of PA.
    Can anyone give me any advise.

Default Re: WWII pistols

Quote Originally Posted by thunderboltp47 View Post
    How can I register WWII pistols that were brought back from Germany. I live in NYS and have a valid NYS permit. It is impossible to try to get them registered here, however at my recent visit to Allentown gun show, I was told by a PA dealer that they could transfer them to my dealer in NY, however I would have to transport them to PA and I am not a resident of PA.
    Can anyone give me any advise.
    i cant give advice but i will ask a dumb question.

Why do you need to register them?
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Because in The Peoples Republic of NY, they are not legal, that's why I am posing the question. I am probably barking up the wrong tree here because this website is about PA, not NY, however went I went to Allentown, a dealer told me that in PA, it is a different world and a dealer told me that a transfer could happen if they were brought to PA, a transfer between a PA dealer and a NY dealer could happen. Just trying to find out if this is true or fantasy.

(Delaware County)

My first question would be how did you obtain these pistols to begin with if you live in NY and you have to register them to make it legal?

I do not own them and I do not possess them. This was an attic cleanout and the woman had these items and told me that her husband brought them back from the war and hid them in the attic. I want to get them on my permit, however it is impossible to get that done in PRNY.

(York County)

If you have a valid NY handgun owners license is it because they won't let you register guns that haven't come through a dealer? (In other words, the bureaucrats can't grok that you'd actually want to do the lawful NY thing and actually register guns that have floated around for 65+ years without being in the system?) I know that NY has specific approved types of (modern) handguns, but ones that old are should be transferable so long as the paperwork is done according to the proper protocals. Does the registering authority realize the age of the handguns?

I don't think I understand the full story here...(your reply cleared up this part!)

One the other hand perhaps a solution for to do is get the lady who inherited them to transfer the guns to a friendly dealer and then have them lawfully transferred to you in NY and go through the process of acquiring them like any other C&R gun coming in state. You might even go to an out of state dealer and then have the guns then shipped to a local dealer to do the paperwork for you. This at least would be more "normal" for the paperwork boffins to handle. There has to be a legal way to do this: WW 2 handguns are not uncommon and I'm sure many thousands are in the state. I am amazed that you'd be having trouble with this. It must happen hundreds of times a year in your state as our WW2 generation dies off and their heirlooms are passed on.

Best wishes on getting your guns registered.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; August 11th, 2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Follow up reply clarified question resulting in editing email for clarity

(Tioga County)

True. Get them to a FFL in PA to transfer to you via a NY FFL and your golden. None of those silly requirements in PA. You will wind up paying two dealers transfer fees. The fees charged by dealers vary greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderboltp47 View Post
    Because in The Peoples Republic of NY, they are not legal, that's why I am posing the question. I am probably barking up the wrong tree here because this website is about PA, not NY, however went I went to Allentown, a dealer told me that in PA, it is a different world and a dealer told me that a transfer could happen if they were brought to PA, a transfer between a PA dealer and a NY dealer could happen. Just trying to find out if this is true or fantasy.
    USNRET '61-'81

(York County)

i know of no federal or state laws to prohibit you from carrying a gun across state lines and transferring it to a dealer, who would then transfer it to another dealer in your home state.

be sure to clear it with the prospective dealers, first.

(Lackawanna County)

I sent you a PM on this.