Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thinking about getting a .243

Looked a a nice Savage 11, with the accu-trigger today, thinking about buying it.

They also had a Browning in .243WSSM..........

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Thinking about getting a .243

It's my favorite varmint cartridge and the flattest shooting rifle I own. Recoil is light enough that you can sit at the corner of a bean field and pick off groundhogs all day. Although I think it's a bit light for deer, it'll do in a pinch with 100 grain bullets if it has to and lots of guys have taken lots of deer with it. It's probably one of the most versatile cartridges for hunting in PA. You can take anything from the smallest varmints to the biggest whitetail with it. There's lots of factory loads for it and ammo is available just about everywhere.

Mine is a Rem 700 SPS with a 4.5-14X Nikon on it. I've never owned or shot a Savage centerfire but if it looks good and the price is right I say go for it. I've never been a big fan of Browning rifles and I have no experience with the .243 WSSM.

If you get the Browning, I might like to put a few rounds thru it at and action shoot some day, if nothing for the experience of shooting an SSM.

I looked at the WSSM ammo, looks like a real bitch to re-load.

I'm leaning towards the .243.

I have a few mo.'s to decide.

(Dauphin County)

you'll love it !! the .243 is a great round for anythign from ground hogs up to Deer, use a 100 grn bullet for deer and if you can find some 65-75 grn's for the varmint stuff youll be real happy
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Crawford County)

I have a Remington Model 7 .243, It is the only rifle i own.

I feed it 100gr Remington core lokt for both chucks and deer. I seems to be the only ammo the gun likes.

I have never had a problem with it being too "light" for deer. Every one I have put a bullet into had dropped within a few yards, most right away. The furthest I have shot a deer with it was about 150 yards but it had no trouble taking it down.

I love this gun and would not trade it for a big heavy 30.06 or .270 ever.

Like others have said you will be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Looked a a nice Savage 11, with the accu-trigger today, thinking about buying it.

They also had a Browning in .243WSSM..........
    I have 3 words for you my friend, "DO IT NOW!!!!" It's one of those things that you'll never regret. To be honest, the WSSM has some neat ballistics, but they won't be around all tha long, they're just a fad. The .243 already shoots flat, easy to reload, easy to get brass for; just don't bother with the WSSM. I'd also stick with the savage, and you won't have any problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    It's my favorite varmint cartridge and the flattest shooting rifle I own. Recoil is light enough that you can sit at the corner of a bean field and pick off groundhogs all day. Although I think it's a bit light for deer, it'll do in a pinch with 100 grain bullets if it has to and lots of guys have taken lots of deer with it. It's probably one of the most versatile cartridges for hunting in PA. You can take anything from the smallest varmints to the biggest whitetail with it. There's lots of factory loads for it and ammo is available just about everywhere.
    I don't know many people that would ever say a .243 is a bit light for deer. I haven't personally done it, but it's not hard at all to kill a deer with a .223. This might not be something that ya'll do up in PA, but in Texas it's perfectly legal to use .223 on game animals, and they with a bonded bullet they will drop a deer DRT. So I don't know why the heck a .243 wouldn't get the job done, it's not like it's a bear or something. I hear PA people talk all the time about how well a .30-30 works on deer, well the most kinetic energy that one has is the 110 grain bullet doing 2684, and it has 1452 ft/lbs of KE at 100 yards. The 130 grain bullet doing 2496 only has 1475 ft/lbs of KE at 100 yards, and it's only downhill from there. Wikipedia shows a MUCH higher calculations for the KE, although I don't know how. My LR ballistics calculator is always spot on with everything, so I know it's correct. The .243 shooting a 105 grain projectile at 2,986 fps has 1770 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards. Either way, even if you don't trust my ballistic calculator, if you shoot a 105 grain bullet over 100 fps faster than the 110 grain bullet, it's gonna have more KE.

I hear PA people toot the horn of the .30-30 and it's deer slaying abilities all the time, but now I hear people saying that the .243 is on the light side, but can sometimes get it done in a pinch. LOL, This is what I find funny, because according to the ballistics, it's better. I can't post the photos here, but if you want to see in a PM what a .243 shoot a 100 grain bullet does to a deer, let me know. Mine didn't take 1 step, and my dad's didn't run 30 yards. .243 is a great cartridge, and one deer killing cartridge. May not be the favored one in PA, but in flat lands, the .243 will ALWAYS be picked over a .30-30. Anyway, do it, you'll love it.

(Allegheny County)

I think that part of it is that so many people in PA use a 30-30 as a brush gun here in the woods. They aren't taking long shots with it, so they are not as worried about having a flat shooting round. I've never been to Texas, but I have a feeling that the terrain and brush is a little different. I know when I was young and just started hunting, .243 is what almost everyone suggested that I should use. I went with the .270, but I've talked to a lot of people who like the .243
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Union County)

Arrow Re: Thinking about getting a .243

Tomcat is right on, short stuff will be short lived, and the throat erosion will kill the broad range/usefulness of the caliber. I have shot many a chuck w/ both 6mm rem and 243 win. 70-80 grains-poof. DRT. I've shot a couple of doe w/ the 6mm, don't recommend it to people who don't have a whole lotta familiarity w/ deer anatomy but .244 cal has killed A LOT of deer over the years...

(Franklin County)

TC: Ballistics is only part of the formula. Size/type of deer, hunting conditions, shooting ability etc, all come into play. The classic 30-30 lever gun is an excellent brush gun, because it is light, short, easy to handle and will frequently blow thru minor obstructions that migh deflect a lighter round. When I was growing up in Central Texas, it was the most commonly used rifle for hunting in "natural pasture" (that's uncleared, uncultivated pasture for you PA folks). You guys in West Texas don't have that situation... leaving you more time to master the art of shooting in windy conditions - an art you have to master.

I've seen deer killed with a 22... so, IMO, the caliber/ballistics involved are less important than the circumstances of the hunt, shot placement, etc etc. Most of the guys here try to set up on the edge of a field or clearing, but they may have to stumble thru a lot of (thick) woods and underbrush to get there... and even then, the shots probably average less than 100 yards (IMO). You guys may shoot 300, 400 yards, so ballistics and longer range accuracy is more important.

All that said, most hunters around here- and probably most places- are clearly overgunned. Most people buy one rifle intending to use it for several purposes, so they go for the largest caliber they think they will need.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by weavagra View Post
    I have a Remington Model 7 .243, It is the only rifle i own.

I feed it 100gr Remington core lokt for both chucks and deer. I seems to be the only ammo the gun likes.

I have never had a problem with it being too "light" for deer. Every one I have put a bullet into had dropped within a few yards, most right away. The furthest I have shot a deer with it was about 150 yards but it had no trouble taking it down.

I love this gun and would not trade it for a big heavy 30.06 or .270 ever.

Like others have said you will be happy with it.
    Ditto here, I have a other rifles but always come back to the Model 7. When I hunt I like light and short. I have 2 one in .243 and the other 7mm-08. Use the -08 for bear and it has not much more recoil than the .243, either is good and have accounted for lots of deer, longest trail was 50 yards, most have dropped.
    Last edited by PocketProtector; August 11th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast