Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Town Hall Meeting in Lebanon!!

Hey yesterday my 10 year old step daughter started telling me that Obama is the best. I looked at her and asked "oh yeah, why is that?" She says "I don't know? He has healthcare." I said, "oh he sure does."

I asked her to be more specific and went on with some more probing questions and she had no clue. She admitted she had just gotten some vague bits and pieces from tv. I used the analogy that has circulated in emails about the kid who got straight As and the teacher taking some of her grades and giving them to failing students who didn't work as hard to make things "fair". (she has always gotten straight A's) I asked her if that would be ok. She said OH NO! I then converted the conversation to money, costs, taxes etc. I think she gets it a little bit. Freaking media poisoning our kids!

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Hey yesterday my 10 year old step daughter started telling me that Obama is the best. I looked at her and asked "oh yeah, why is that?" She says "I don't know? He has healthcare." I said, "oh he sure does."

I asked her to be more specific and went on with some more probing questions and she had no clue. She admitted she had just gotten some vague bits and pieces from tv. I used the analogy that has circulated in emails about the kid who got straight As and the teacher taking some of her grades and giving them to failing students who didn't work as hard to make things "fair". (she has always gotten straight A's) I asked her if that would be ok. She said OH NO! I then converted the conversation to money, costs, taxes etc. I think she gets it a little bit. Freaking media poisoning our kids!
    It's sad sometimes isn't it? Just how much pull the media has on people(of any age really)

It's good to see you used an analogy your step daughter could understand in her mind. Not telling her what to believe, but rather helping her understand the reality.
    III%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post

It's not just the media - it's the freaking liberal school system too. Unless you take the time to explain - like you did, kids will be bombarded with liberal ideals through out a good part of their lives.

I think explaining it to them like you did (grades and money) is something that even the youngest children can understand. Another good tool for very young kids is to tell them to give their favorite toys to someone else because it isn't fair that they have so many and the other kids have so few. Sharing is one thing but actually giving them up will get them thinking.

(Philadelphia County)

Props to you parents who still parent and not let the government school day-care system 'teach' your kids.

(Lebanon County)

Well I finished up by telling her that she couldn't just hear a little bit here and there and think "it was so". She had to really look into things for herself and examine all the facts to determine for herself. There is something to be said for educating yourself.... (I didn't used to be so good about it either but FNG19 really gave me hell about it. )

(York County)

You guys are spot on. I spent a whole lot of time over the years teaching my kids accurate history, not the PC propaganda handed out by the school system.

Had several "really" interesting discussions with their teachers over several subjects they were way off base on.
    Underwater, the ONLY way to fly...

When my sister [who campaigned for O] told my kid that he should stop listening to me about politics and learn for himself.
    He proceeded to stomp her into the ground with his thoughts and the facts on the subject.
    Complete with everything he could dig up over the last year before the election about Barry, Joe, John and Sarah, there stance on the 2nd, big government, taxes, there voting records, there education, etc... for about 15 minutes [her attention span couldn't handle any more]

Her reply... mumble mumble change mumble.

Later I explained to her that my political knowledge is from what my kid has taught me, he's the activist and he has been very well self educated since he was about 13, not just repeating what others have told him.

[Hope he's been smart enough to keep his mouth shut at paris island]
    [Oh my other sister voted for the first time in her life at age 65, also for O]

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234