Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Do you have a light mounted on your HD pistol?

Title says it all!! I have a handheld streamlight currently, should I spend my $200 on more ammo or an rail mounted light? I see positives and negatives; mounted light frees up a hand and puts you generally on target for quick point shooting, however, if an intruder "shoots at the light" like they are prone to do, you take it in the COM. Also, it would inherently violate the "don't point the muzzle at anything your not willing to kill" rule, right? I want to think my trigger discipline is good, but with this method by the time I identified the noise as my son sneaking out the back to visit his girlfriend, I would have had to point a gun at him. What say you?
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Do you have a light mounted on your HD pistol?

hmmm.....no need for a light.

(Lackawanna County)

Lots of good points here.
    Being able to properly identify an intruder is a very important thing. It would be terrible to see a man coming into your house and shoot him only to find your brother had been put in the doghouse and was looking for a night on your couch.

I'm of the mind that a maglight or a nice bright light with a back end button would work better. That way you can flick it on and keep your firearm at low ready. That's my view on it anyway.

For myself my HD pistol is my carry piece. I have a decent light on my headboard. I use it when I'm too lazy to get up and flick the switch and need a quick light. I think it would work well.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    hmmm.....no need for a light.
    I'd love to hear some elaboration on that one.

To answer the question, my AR is my home defense firearm, and yes, there is a light mounted on it.

(Chester County)

Bedside gun is a 229, it has a light and CT...

No need for a light here, bed side gun is a glock 27, under mattress gun is a ruger sp101 and in the closet gun is a mossberg 500a loaded with 00 buck. I guess if somebody ever brakes into my house, I'll take whatever comes to mind first.....

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 45 ACP View Post
    No need for a light here, bed side gun is a glock 27, under mattress gun is a ruger sp101 and in the closet gun is a mossberg 500a loaded with 00 buck. I guess if somebody ever brakes into my house, I'll take whatever comes to mind first.....
    I don't know about no need for a light. Ample available firepower is fine but if you can't tell who is in your house it's not always a good idea to just start squeezing the trigger.
    Just flicking on a lightswitch is just as likely to blind you and hurt any chance at a quick shot.
    I would take my pistol personally though I have several other choices near enough at hand. Easier to hold and operate the light and the rooms outside mine are tight enough a long gun would be a nightmare.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

I say you need to have a light. If i hear something in my house in the middle of night that sounds more like a break-in then anything else im coming out with flashlight ready and gun pointed and where i need it to be...you identify the object before you pull the trigger...simple as that. Will it be pointed at your target? YES if its your son/brother or whoever it is they will learn a valuable lesson they will never forget. You have a gun to protect your family from harms way. I believe you can not do that unless your prepared for the worst and have your gun pointed at the suspect.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    Title says it all!! I have a handheld streamlight currently, should I spend my $200 on more ammo or an rail mounted light? What say you?

I have weapon mounted lights on my HD handgun and AR15. If you can spare the coin I'd say go for it but do try to get some low light training.

Turning on the lights in the house is also an option.

(York County)

Are you going to be stretching your arm out far to your side so that the light isn't in front of you in case an intruder shoots at the light? more than likely you will have it it front of you anyway. I prefer weapon mounted lights on handguns but wouldn't mind using on in the other hand. Personal preference.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast