Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lost my wallet today with my LTCF inside.

So my credit card is maxed out anyway and there is no money in the bank for my debit to be worth a crap. Of course I canceled the card but my Drivers license and LTCF card are gone. I have stowed my carry gun but how do I get a new card? Obviously I need to go back to the Sheriffs station but will they give me a new one on the spot or will I need to reapply and wait again? Thanks in advance,Brian

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Lost my wallet today with my LTCF inside.

Typically, the sheriff will make you a new LTCF card in minutes while you wait. My card had a typo - noticed it weeks after issuance. It was no charge and not a big deal.

(Lackawanna County)

I'm guessing KMAG, since KMAG appears to be from Lancaster County as well, would know what to expect on your visit to the Sheriff's office.

Many people would not feel comfortable carrying their firearm (concealed/in a vehicle) without the LTCF card on them - which is a good reason to make a few photocopies (one for your glove box, one for your sock drawer, one for your desk at work, et cetera).

There has been debate over whether you, technically, need to carry your LTCF "placard" at all. The consensus seems to be that, as long as your LTCF has not "expired", you, in fact, are "licensed" whether you have a card on you or not.

The point where that debate gets fuzzy for me is where in the UFA it states something to the effect of produce license upon lawful demand by any cop.

Now, while the term "license' is often colloquially used in reference to a "card" - the "card" is not your "license", it is just "proof of licensure". A "license" is not actually a tangible/tactile thing.

So - even though your LTCF "card" has gone missing, you are still "licensed". Theoretically, all of your "privileges" afforded by that "license" are still in full force and effect. However, as I mentioned, that particular clean line of thinking gets "sticky" (well, I think so, anyway) when we come to the part of the UFA that states a license must be "produced" upon lawful demand by a cop.

I suppose the "production" of your "license" (since, after all, it is intangible) could be to simply state: your name, your LTCF number, the 'expiration' date, the name of the Sheriff who "approved" your LTCF and the County that person is the Sheriff of.

Like I said, this is my personal supposition - I certainly don't want to be the first to 'test that theory' myself.
    Last edited by Bruce; August 9th, 2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lawrence County)

In Lawrence Cty there is a $5 charge for a replacement.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?

(Franklin County)

Worth saying again:

Keep your original in a safe place, carry a COPY.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I'm guessing KMAG, since KMAG appears to be from Lancaster County as well, would know what to expect on your visit to the Sheriff's office.

Many people would not feel comfortable carrying their firearm (concealed/in a vehicle) without the LTCF card on them - which is a good reason to make a few photocopies (one for your glove box, one for your sock drawer, one for your desk at work, et cetera).

There has been debate over whether you, technically, need to carry your LTCF "placard" at all. The consensus seems to be that, as long as your LTCF has not "expired", you, in fact, are "licensed" whether you have a card on you or not.

The point where that debate gets fuzzy for me is where in the UFA it states something to the effect of produce license upon lawful demand by any cop.

Now, while the term "license' is often colloquially used in reference to a "card" - the "card" is not your "license", it is just "proof of licensure". A "license" is not actually a tangible/tactile thing.

So - even though your LTCF "card" has gone missing, you are still "licensed". Theoretically, all of your "privileges" afforded by that "license" are still in full force and effect. However, as I mentioned, that particular clean line of thinking gets "sticky" (well, I think so, anyway) when we come to the part of the UFA that states a license must be "produced" upon lawful demand by a cop.

I suppose the "production" of your "license" (since, after all, it is intangible) could be to simply state: your name, your LTCF number, the 'expiration' date, the name of the Sheriff who "approved" your LTCF and the County that person is the Sheriff of.

Like I said, this is my personal supposition - I certainly don't want to be the first to 'test that theory' myself.
    Without the card, you have no proof. Just like if your caught driving with out your driverslicense. You will get a ticket for driving without a license. That does not negate the fact your are lawfull to drive.

So I would say the same would apply with getting caught CC without your license. Only they do not issue tickets for that. They usally take the gun and pending on the cop they could arrest ya untill they find out the truth.
    I do not agree with it, but I would not be shocked if it happens to people.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Without the card, you have no proof. Just like if your caught driving with out your driverslicense. You will get a ticket for driving without a license. That does not negate the fact your are lawfull to drive.

So I would say the same would apply with getting caught CC without your license. Only they do not issue tickets for that. They usally take the gun and pending on the cop they could arrest ya untill they find out the truth.
    Sorry to nitpick, but if you are pulled over without your drivers license on your person you will get cited for failing to produce your license rather than driving without a license, which carries a harsher penalty. I'm sure that's what you meant, but it may have been confusing to people reading the post.

I wouldn't carry without my license on me if I were you. Just to save yourself some headaches. I never leave the house with my gun unless I have my drivers license and LTCF on me. I've never need to produce them while carrying concealed, but you never know.

A few months ago I was at Wal-mart with my two boys (4 and 6). I was carrying IWB, holstered in the rear. I was in line and it was very busy. My six year old, for whatever reason, decided to lift up my shirt. I immediately pulled it down and glanced behind me. There were a lot of people in line behind me and I know some of them must have seen it. Nothing came of it, but that just shows how easily a concealed firearm could be exposed.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Allegheny County)

I'd advise you to go to your issuing agency ASAP and get yourself a replacement. I also wouldn't carry until you have the new one in your posession just to save yourself potential hassle.

The other thing would be so you are notifying the sheriff that there is a CCW card out there where it doesn't belong. You might be surprised to see who wouldn't hesitate to use a found card even though the picture does not exactly match. This is the responsible thing to do.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post

Could you please produce a citation (any law or 'case law' will do) that specifically states that you must have "proof" of your LTCF on your person?

I'll wait.

While I am waiting, I will repeat (yet again, as I expressed in the post you already quoted) that you will find the portion of the UFA that expresses your License to Carry Firearms must be "produced" upon lawful demand by a cop - currently, I believe that is all you will find.

However, I do not claim to be "all knowing" - so I await your cite.

Cops unlawfully confiscate firearms all the time from innocent, law-abiding citizens (search through the forums for references). So - citing an instance where a cop 'took a citizen's gun' pending some proof of ownership or licensure or citizenship or proof of immunization or 'whatever' is not a reliable citation - even if it has happened hundreds of times (which, I am sure, it has). We need a citation from the *Law* (or, at least, from "Case Law").

Saying "So, I would say" the same thing that happens to you regarding your Drivers License will happen when carrying concealed/in a vehicle is a non sequitur. Firstly: a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms is in no way equal (or even similar) to a license to drive (from any State).
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

To clear this up:

From the PA Uniform Firearms Act

18 Pa.C.S. § 6122: Proof of license and exception

(a) General rule.--When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to produce such license either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast