Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default "Patrol Rifles" for cops: "Assault Weapons" for us.

Nice double standard with the terminology.

http://www.scrantontimes.com/news/co...d_reservations

Covington to purchase additional patrol rifles amid reservations
    By Megan Reiter (Staff Writer)
    Published: August 6, 2009

COVINGTON TWP. - Despite reservations from two supervisors, Sgt. Bernard Klocko received permission to purchase two patrol rifles for the Covington Police Department.

The 3-2 vote during Tuesday's Board of Supervisors meeting will bring the total number of Bushmaster patrol rifles in the township to three - three more than the Dunmore Police Department has, and two fewer than are in patrol rotation at Scranton.

Usually divided on votes, Supervisor Chairman Thomas Yerke and Bill Willson voted against the request, while Vice Chairman David Petrosky, Marlene Beavers and Charles "Bucky" Lindner approved it.

With the new North Pocono High School opening in the township "and the increase in violent crime in NEPA, I feel patrol rifles are a necessary tool for today's police departments," Sgt. Klocko wrote in his July 21 request to the Board of Supervisors. "Most, if not all, departments within Lackawanna County have implemented such patrol rifles."

The 3-2 vote authorized Sgt. Klocko to purchase two Bushmaster patrol rifles, three extra magazines and two cases of ammunition, not to exceed $2,250.

"I'm not OK with the rifles," Mr. Willson said after the meeting. "I don't think that our township should have them."

With three full-time officers including Sgt. Klocko, Mr. Willson said the part-time department would call for assistance from the state police during an incident that requires patrol rifles. He also thinks the rifles should be locked in a secure gun safe each night.

"If we're going to have them, I want them secured," Mr. Willson said.

Sgt. Klocko said the Bushmaster rifles would be locked in the police cars.

"I do not feel comfortable having Bushmaster rifles in all the police cars," Mr. Yerke said prior to the vote.

Scranton police officers sign equipment out at the beginning of each shift, said Scranton Police Chief David Elliott.

"We don't leave anything out in the cars," he said.

Scranton has 16 patrol rifles, five of which are in rotation for patrols, Chief Elliott said. There are also 12 to 15 patrol rifles officers own personally and can take on patrol, in lieu of the five patrol rifles in rotation, he said. Those officers bring their rifles to work and take them home at the end of their shifts, the chief said.

Chief Elliott said patrol rifles are "an extra asset to (officers) on the road."

"Patrol responds to everything," he said.

Dunmore Police Chief Patrick Reese said his department currently has no patrol rifles, but is looking to purchase four with National Night Out donations.

"We have one patrol rifle right now," said Archbald Police Chief Tim Trently. "We do have other long-barreled weapons. We are in the market to make a purchase for a few others."

Contact the writer: mreiter@timesshamrock.com
    Last edited by HyDef; August 7th, 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Default Re: "Patrol Rifles" for cops: "Assault Weapons" for us.

LOL.. Patrol Rifles. Classic.

(Chester County)

Douchebaggery at its finest...fuckers...

where would one find such a rifle? i have a few ar15's, i would like to add a patrol rifle to my collection. (i wonder if they come in black)
    FJB

(Washington County)

I posted a comment, lets see if the moderator allows it to be shown.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    where would one find such a rifle? i have a few ar15's, i would like to add a patrol rifle to my collection. (i wonder if they come in black)
    Bushmaster actually markets an AR15 model called the M4 Type Patrolman's carbine.
    I have one.

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16M4.asp
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Jefferson County)

Now we need to find an article about evil assault rifles being used in a crime.

Oh, right, they are almost never used in the commission of crimes.

(Perry County)

I realize there are many here that like to get their panties in a bunch over everything but come on. Patrol rifle is a term used for any rifle carried by patrol officers. We used to have Model 70 Winchester patrol rifles in 30.06. We now have patrol rifles that are Colt 6520s in .223.

I'm not sure how it's douchebaggery at its finest or who the fuckers are but I do know it's not a particularly eloquent or informative post.

You can call your rifle a patrol rifle if you wish. It seems a tad silly if you don't go out on patrol, but to each his own.

I call mine safe queens because that is where they spend 99% of their lives, other than my patrol rifle. My patrol rifle goes out on patrol with me, as does my duty weapon and my back-up gun. I suppose I could call them all "black as night, bringers of death, destruction and mayhem" although that seems a bit long.

I have a problem with the military calling their assault weapons M-4s and M-249s, what's up with that.

(Lebanon County)

Fucking patrol rifles!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

With the new North Pocono High School opening in the township "and the increase in violent crime in NEPA, I feel patrol rifles are a necessary tool for today's police departments," Sgt. Klocko wrote
    Is he expecting a bunch of school shootings or something? WTF?
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast