Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default US/Eastern N.J. Governor Signs '1 Handgun A Month' Bill TRENTON, N.J

Aug 6, 2009 10:00 pm

N.J. Governor Signs '1 Handgun A Month' Bill TRENTON, N.J.

Eco-Sexy Calendar Gov. Jon Corzine signed legislation Thursday making New Jersey the fourth state to limit the number of handguns that can be legally purchased within a certain period of time.

The bill limits handgun purchases to one per month. Before signing it, Corzine said he expects the ban on bulk handgun sales will reduce the number of weapons used in street crimes. Allowing people to purchase fewer handguns means reduced profits for gun traffickers, he said.

"Nothing is more dangerous than to have the vast proliferation of guns in the hands of individuals who want to perpetuate violence in our communities," Corzine said.

The law exempts gun collectors who hold a federal collector's license. California, Maryland and Virginia have enacted similar laws.

Corzine signed the bill in Trenton, where Mayor Doug Palmer evoked the memory of Tamrah Leonard, a 13-year-old who was killed by a stray bullet while walking to a block party in June.

Another high-profile shooting, the August 2007 killings of three college-bound friends on a Newark school yard, was committed with a revolver that had been legally purchased out of state, Corzine said.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker and Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy enthusiastically supported the measure.

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley of Jersey City sponsored the bill after the courts struck down a 2006 city ordinance making it illegal to buy or sell more than one handgun a month because it pre-empted state authority.

Corzine pushed hard for the statewide ban, which the gun lobby fought and Republican lawmakers did not support.

The issue pitted antigun groups like CeaseFire New Jersey against gun-rights groups like the National Rifle Association. The NRA has poured $90,000 to the Republican Governors Association since December, and the RGA has spent more than $3 million in New Jersey trying to unseat Corzine.

Republican Chris Christie, running on his reputation as a zealous former federal prosecutor, is challenging the Democratic governor's re-election bid. Like Corzine, Christie proposes stricter penalties for illegal gun trafficking. But, unlike the governor, Christie opposed the one-gun-a-month bill.

Bryan Miller, executive director of CeaseFire New Jersey, said the new law makes it less likely that handguns "will find their way to those who should not have them."

NRA spokeswoman Rachel Parsons said gun-restriction laws harm law-abiding citizens and are ineffective at reducing crime.

"There is no evidence that gun rationing reduces crime," she said.

Corzine was unmoved by that argument.

"This issue is really clear to me," he said. "I like being on the side of safety in the neighborhoods, protecting our kids."

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: US/Eastern N.J. Governor Signs '1 Handgun A Month' Bill TRENTON, N.J

Another fist in the eye for the law abiding citizens of NJ. I think they should change the slogan on the signs to "Welcome to New Jersey! A Great Place to Live!" Not that it sounds too hopeful but I hope this new anti replaces the old one. Maybe the law will be repealed. I will hold my breath!

"I like being on the side of safety in the neighborhoods, protecting our kids."
    I hear this an aweful lot. I think we need to bend this to our side. I am going to start using it all over. Makes alot of sense to me since it's been used on me twice in the past two days.
    "I like being on the side of safety in the neighborhoods, protecting our kids." yep that right there is a sound reason to carry. Loaded with hollow points too I might add
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

Default Re: US/Eastern N.J. Governor Signs '1 Handgun A Month' Bill TRENTON, N.J

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    Aug 6, 2009 10:00 pm

N.J. Governor Signs '1 Handgun A Month' Bill TRENTON, N.J.

Eco-Sexy Calendar Gov. Jon Corzine signed legislation Thursday making New Jersey the fourth state to limit the number of handguns that can be legally purchased within a certain period of time.

The bill limits handgun purchases to one per month. Before signing it, Corzine said he expects the ban on bulk handgun sales will reduce the number of weapons used in street crimes. Allowing people to purchase fewer handguns means reduced profits for gun traffickers, he said.

"Nothing is more dangerous than to have the vast proliferation of guns in the hands of individuals who want to perpetuate violence in our communities," Corzine said.

The law exempts gun collectors who hold a federal collector's license. California, Maryland and Virginia have enacted similar laws.

Corzine signed the bill in Trenton, where Mayor Doug Palmer evoked the memory of Tamrah Leonard, a 13-year-old who was killed by a stray bullet while walking to a block party in June.

Another high-profile shooting, the August 2007 killings of three college-bound friends on a Newark school yard, was committed with a revolver that had been legally purchased out of state, Corzine said.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker and Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy enthusiastically supported the measure.

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley of Jersey City sponsored the bill after the courts struck down a 2006 city ordinance making it illegal to buy or sell more than one handgun a month because it pre-empted state authority.

Corzine pushed hard for the statewide ban, which the gun lobby fought and Republican lawmakers did not support.

The issue pitted antigun groups like CeaseFire New Jersey against gun-rights groups like the National Rifle Association. The NRA has poured $90,000 to the Republican Governors Association since December, and the RGA has spent more than $3 million in New Jersey trying to unseat Corzine.

Republican Chris Christie, running on his reputation as a zealous former federal prosecutor, is challenging the Democratic governor's re-election bid. Like Corzine, Christie proposes stricter penalties for illegal gun trafficking. But, unlike the governor, Christie opposed the one-gun-a-month bill.

Bryan Miller, executive director of CeaseFire New Jersey, said the new law makes it less likely that handguns "will find their way to those who should not have them."

NRA spokeswoman Rachel Parsons said gun-restriction laws harm law-abiding citizens and are ineffective at reducing crime.

"There is no evidence that gun rationing reduces crime," she said.

"This issue is really clear to me," he said. "I like being on the side of safety in the neighborhoods, protecting our kids."

It gets better fellas, now Doug Palmer is imploring PA to pass similar legislation. They're not content with just screwing up Jersey, they want to export their gun grabbing ways

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by G22Dude View Post
    It gets better fellas, now Doug Palmer is imploring PA to pass similar legislation. They're not content with just screwing up Jersey, they want to export their gun grabbing ways
    Precisely why PAFOA & Co. need to always be on the offensive to beat these threats down and kick out the people who would cause such threats preemptively.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

So I guess it is now safer in Camden, Trenton and Newark. Right?
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Berks_Iraq_Vet View Post
    So I guess it is now safer in Camden, Trenton and Newark. Right?
    Didn't you get the word. You can now walk the streets of these cities without catching a round. I'm still skeptical though, I still pack my duty weapon when I venture into these parts

(Northampton County)

I understand 3 of the 5 perps were illegal ailiens & they all had gang affiliations. The gun is the most important thing though.

Was governer Corzine on the side of safety when he rolled his SUV while going 90mph on the NJTP & not wearing his seatbelt??
    Last edited by reverserboy; August 7th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corzine
    I guess he means the "kids" that are in gangs, making the neighborhoods safe for them to rob, rape, and kill people. Those kids. Interesting that he prefers them over yours and mine.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent