Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default After Action Training: Mike Sisano-"No Weak Hand" Pine Creek IV with Dick Reinheimer

I had the opportunity to participate this last weekend in "Camp Pine Creek IV" in Potter County on Dick Reinheimer's property with guest instructor Mike Sisano. Mike is a retired Vermont State Police Seargent and Chief Firearms Instructor who spent 35 years in LE, with a dozen on the TSU (tactical Swat(?) Unit, a multi jurisdictional team for the New England States. He is currently in the Sheriffs office. His training with TSU has included, among others: Blackwater, Seal VI, Delta, etc.

In all fairness, I attended the second weekend/ evolution, and y report may vary from those who took the first weekend, mostly because we had five shooters in our group, we shot a heck of a lot. Like 1400 pistol rounds and 150 shotgun.

Weather was wet and dark (if it ain't raining, we ain't training) for most of the weekend, but Dick had shelters up for protection from the heavier squalls.

Day one of three started after a fantastic breakfast cooked by Mike's son, Ed-ski, and then a short presentation of the purpose of the weekend, the mindset required (ALA Dave Spaulding) a bit on credentials, some ground rules (at least TRY it Mike's way) and a Safety Review. We did hear that the curriculum was developed largely from Mike's review of Office involved shootings, some of which ended badly for the "hero".

Up on the range, we began with a “warm up” of trigger control drills, shooting from about 5 yards at a 3 in dot with a standard two handed grip on command. We began to “scan and assess” after each string, and were responsible to keep the gun loaded and functioning throughout this exercise. We then did the same with a “reverse” grip; i.e. off hand (left for most of us) on the trigger, supported by our dominant hand.

We then moved to about a 5 in circle and shot strong hand only, then off hand only. Mike introduced one hand reloads, and we did these for the rest of the course strong and off hand.

Some draw from holster practice, and the warm up was complete.

We hit steel and paper at various distances to 25 yards; we moved across the target line from right to left, and left to right; we moved obliquely toward and away; used cover strong and off side; moved towards and escaped back…all while maintaining fire discipline and hits on target!

We faced right and drew to make hits; faced left, turned to threats behind us both strong and off hand sides.

Day two was a bit drier, and that was good, because we did a ton of ground fighting; lie on your back and engage towards your feet; engage overhead above you, engage to your right and left; engage on your side, again EVERY DRILL was done both STRONG and “OFF” side. Prone and roll-over prone at 25 yards completed that session.

Since we were a small group (and I kinda pestered Mike) we shot after dark with hand held and firearm mounted lights, with shoot and movement/ check your world still integrated.

Day three was the Shotgun day, and we practiced speed loading pump and autoloaders in all the same drills we had shot handgun in, after checking our slug point of impact at 25 yards, and out buck shot patterns at 3-5-7-15-25 yards. We used slings, did a Offensive Drill, moved obliquely, etc. Had a “Rolling Thunder” drill (massive reloading with the line shooting incrementally more rounds..near continuously) and practiced transition to pistol. The offensive drill was to overwhelm a shooter who appears better armed than yourself, and presents “overwhelming fire”…Two slugs from 25 yards, move while putting two buckshot on target, shift to “indoor ready” (gunstock under the armpit) and finish at less than 5 yards with the third buck round.

The “competition” this final day was to load 3 rounds of birdshot, strike three plates, load up to four rounds, and take three more plates (every plate HAD to be hit), and then transition to the sidearm and take “evil roy” plate out to stop the clock. Roy was placed about 7-10 yards away for this, and it was a joy to shoot this drill.

Being a “wrong eyed” guy myself, I shoot shotgun on the left, pistol off the right hip. The oblique course was set for a right shoulder shooter, so I switched, made good hits, and stimulated a discussion tactical “off shoulder” shooting. When we got to the competition, I challenged Mike to shoot it off the wrong shoulder as well, and the gentleman he is, he complied, and compiled an expert score. I also ran a second approach off my “wrong” shoulder (reloading switch hand from what I had practiced all day) and found it illuminating, and useful!

All in all, a FANTASTIC training opportunity.

I do not hesitate in any way to recommend Mike and Dick for your training needs!

(Chester County)

Default Re: After Action Training: Mike Sisano-"No Weak Hand" Pine Creek IV with Dick Reinhei

wow, sounds awesome.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: After Action Training: Mike Sisano-"No Weak Hand" Pine Creek IV with Dick Reinhei

Do they have a website? I had no idea this was coming.

(Bucks County)

no website..

but shooters from LRGC or prior students get notified. Dick has a class coming up listed in training courses for 3 day Defensive Handgun.

Highly recommended!

B

Any pictures we could see? I would like to check it.