Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Lets talk about Night Sights/Lasers.

I have a Ruger P95. Its primarily used for home defense, but lately, i've been concealed carrying it exclusively. What can i say, the gun is just growing on me more and more. Regardless, i need something to allow me to acquire my target while in the dark, because the basic white painted 3 dot sights dont allow me to see shit in the dark.

Now, i'm curious about what options, regarding Night Sites i have for my Ruger P95. I'm pretty ignorant to what the best Night Sites are, i.e. Tritium, etc. I want the brightest Night Sites possible.

Now, i'm also curious, in what some good laser options i have for my Ruger P95 would be. I do have a picatinny rail on my P95. Ultimately though, i wanna find an accurate laser sight system that will still allow me to holster my P95 in my Fobus holster, which i'm sure a picattany rail mounted laser wouldnt allow. So what are my options? Are the Crimson Trace laser grips my best option, or is there something better out there?

EDIT: I just checked the Crimson Trace lasers website, apparently they dont even make a model for my Ruger P95, so the Crimson Trace option is out. Does anyone know of any laser systems for my Ruger P95 that would interfere with the holstering of my P95?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; August 6th, 2009 at 01:09 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Lets talk about Night Sights/Lasers.

Tritium is the brightest reliable sight insert, but 'to me' is still underwhelming in the dark. Some swear by it though. Fiber optic inserts can pick up and amplify even a little light in the dark, and only get better in brighter light.

For lasers that still allow normal holstering, either a guide rod laser, or mount one to the gun's rail, and have a leather/kydex holster made around it. A little more money, but thats the price for getting things exactly the way you want them.

Also, dont discount flashlight techniques. Best glow sights in the world wont do a damn if you cant even see where your target is.

(York County)

^^^^what he said. I have a surefire x300 on my pistol now s well as night sights. it's pretty redundant that I can illuminate my target beyond 100 yards with a hand gun. Only laser I have resides on my shotty with a fold over stock in case I find myself needing to hip fire.

(Chester County)

If you switch to night sights, I recommend only going with a lamp up front. It will speed up your sight pic. Use a blank rear (or sharpie) and you will find that it is much faster on target.

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Tritium is the brightest reliable sight insert...... Fiber optic inserts can pick up and amplify even a little light in the dark, and only get better in brighter light.
    True as far as it goes, but TruGlo makes sights that combine both tritium vials and fiber optics, so they glow night or day. I'd check them out.

http://www.truglo.com/content/produc...gun_sights.asp

Unfortunately they don't list your gun either. If your sights are dovetailed into the slide, I would think that a gunsmith could alter the dovetails to fit an available set of sights. If you want a laser, it appears a rail-mounted laser may be your only option. I just visited the Lasermax website and they don't make a guide rod system for your gun. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

(Lawrence County)

Fiber optics are great in the day, but don't really work at all in the dark. Meprolights and Trijicons are the most common Tritium night sights. I prefer the Trijis, but plenty of people use the Mepros without problem. I know Triji makes reasonable sights for Rugers.

Lasers are great in enclosed spaces, but they can be hard to track on moving targets outdoors with varying backgrounds.....especially if you switch from a front sight focus to a target focus because you are relying on the laser. Because of that, I'm not a big fan.

Lycanprefersthreedotsindarkplacesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    If you switch to night sights, I recommend only going with a lamp up front. It will speed up your sight pic. Use a blank rear (or sharpie) and you will find that it is much faster on target.

But if it really is dark.Your not going to be able to see you back site at all. Wouldn't this enable you to actually get a good sight picture. Remember, we are talking about using your firearm in a DARK area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Lasers are great in enclosed spaces, but they can be hard to track on moving targets outdoors with varying backgrounds.....especially if you switch from a front sight focus to a target focus because you are relying on the laser. Because of that, I'm not a big fan.

Lycanprefersthreedotsindarkplacesthrope
    Movement is greatly amplified by the laser the further out you go. So, the red dot will jiggle more at longer distances. Even up close that dot is always moving. Actually, it does show you how much your pistol is always moving when you're aiming it. You really don't notice this when using sights. But it is very noticeable with a laser.

But at the same time, a laser allows you to not have to use your sights. Shooting from the hip takes on a whole your aspect. It is mentally reassuring to see that dot on your target, so you know your going to make a hit.

God Forbid, your in a hand to hand conflict, the red dot would show that your actually going to hit your target as you struggle with the bad guy trying to aim the pistol at him and to take a shot.

I have hit body shots out to 25 yards just using my laser, cause I could put the dot on my target in very low light situations, this is a bit harder with night sights in my opinion. My next test is to see how far out I can go with the laser and still hit my target.

They both have a use and each has pros and cons in my opinion. Best case senerio. But a set of night sights on it with a laser.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    But if it really is dark.Your not going to be able to see you back site at all. Wouldn't this enable you to actually get a good sight picture. Remember, we are talking about using your firearm in a DARK area.
    If you have a proper grip that is not an issue. You will find that your focus will immediately focus on your threat and front post. It has been being taught for years and is highly effective in low light situations.
    http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/night-sights/
    Try it and let me know your thoughts...

(Chester County)

i had a set of ameriglo on my HK i could not believe how bright they were. That was the only set of brand i have ever used. It may be a company to lok up.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    If you have a proper grip that is not an issue. You will find that your focus will immediately focus on your threat and front post. It has been being taught for years and is highly effective in low light situations.
    http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/night-sights/
    Try it and let me know your thoughts...
    I have taken a class that taught this and it does work. I was impressed.

I'm thinking of a situation where you may have to shoot a bit further out, or the fight may have drug out to where you are now behind cover, and are forced to take aimed shoots at your target. Do you think it would work as well then. I'm not sure, I'm asking.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast