I just came back from vacation to Cocoa Beach and Daytona beach.

I flew Airtran down nonstop and was supposed to fly United back but ended up on US Air with a layover.

I checked the TSA site and each airline site for procedure as i had never got on an aircraft with a handgun in checked baggage.

TSA said to verify any airline specific rules for flying with gun.

Both airline guidelines were not clear to me if the ammo could be in the same piece of luggage. Airtran rep could not definitley say. United said he was "pretty sure" the boxes of ammo had to be in separate luggage.

So, off I went to Greater Pitt airport, gun in locked case, ammo in metal box. Both items in same bag.

I declared the firearm at Airtran,was told the ammo had to be in other bag and was given a bright orange tag to put into the locked case with gun. I put ammo in wife's bag.
I had to then to go to TSA counter, remove lockbox,open it for inspection. TSA officer asked why the orange tag was in the lockbox. I explain the airline rep instructed me to do so. He qouted me some rule that it has to be tied to outside of box, did so and off we flew.

For the most part, pretty smooth and not too time consuming.

On the flight back from Orlando, I declare at US Air which I didn't check as my initial ticket said United , am instructed to once again put declaration into locked box and off to TSA screening area.

Orlando TSA doesn't ask any questions other than what bags contain what, doesn't open bags or check items and sends them on their way.

Completely different procedure (less time for me so I'm happy).

My kid had more trouble with some kind of hair gel and something else he had to give up at security.

I was wondering what a hassle it might be and some on this board assured me it was fairly simple.

One thing I didn't research as well as I should have is Fla restrictions for CCW areas and driving with a concealed firearm. Next time I'll read up .

Anyone else find differing requirements for flying with gun?