Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Question Glock 20 vs. 29 w/ full power loads

I'm doing some research on getting a 10mm as a woods and fishing gun for defense against 4 legged and 2 legged unfriendlies. Looks like it's gotta be a Glock for durability and corrosion resistance and stand up to the less than friendly treatment. From what I can tell so far it looks like Double Tap and Buffalo Bore are going to have the right loads to bring as much to the fight as I can with an autoloader. (.44 mag is out of the question b/c I'm not buying a pistol only good for one thing.) Now the questions: would I be well off enough with the 29's shorter barrel to get enough out of the hot stuff or does the extra inch or so really make the G20 something I can't live without? And does the extra size of the G20 soak up substantially more of the recoil to where it's that much more desireable or is the G29 tolerable? How about slime frame vs. standard for recoil also?

Any help is much appreciated.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Glock 20 vs. 29 w/ full power loads

Since you have your mind made up on the Glock, i say get the G20, much more gun to hold onto than that G 29 that cant even fit in in your hands properly, try shooting hot loads out of the G29 and you'll be in pain soon.

The .44 mag is much more flexible than you think, if you dont like the hot .44 mags you can always shoot .44 specials out of it , BB sells .44 specials that are hotter than .45 colts and any 9mm or .40 out there . Dont write off the .44 mag yet. I dont own one -yet but i'm shopping around for a Ruger Redhawk in 4 inch bbl.

Yes the Glocks are very reliable and tough , should make a nice woods gun. My Current woods gun is a G32.

Nyman

(Chester County)

I had a G32 for my "woods gun" for a while...but I was trying to be a litle bit multi purpose with it.

I'd advocate for the 20, so long as you don't think it's too big. The problem isn't so much the weight difference, as it is how easy it is to get your mitts on it. The 20 will just be easier to control, and have that larger capacity too.

IF you got a .44, you could reload .44 specials for it and target shoot with it all the time. 10mm is an expensive caliber to shoot...pistol calibers this large are kinda "single purpose"...if you reload though, the .44Magnum revolver might be worth looking at.

(Chester County)

G20, definitely. It's a handful with DT ammo, but shootable with practice. Easy to carry, it's fatter, but still smaller overall and much lighter than a full size 1911.

The G29 with DT? Forget about it.

If you're concerned by grip size, get the G20SF, the smaller grip is a little easier to get your mitts around.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

I have both and I don't really notice a big difference in recoil between them regardless of what load I'm shooting. YMMV but I think that I shoot the 10mm regularly enough that I'm numb to the recoil.

Chances are you're not going to miss the difference in velocity by going to the shorter barreled G29. The little one is easier to carry if you're going to CC most of the time. I would highly recommend you put Pierce grip extensions on your G29 mags if you go that route.

The G20 might be better if you'll primarily OC. The 20 is a big gun though. Make sure it fits your hand before you buy one.

(Erie County)

I find the G29 more than tolerable but the G20 is easier to shoot with hot loads. Just easier to get more hand on the gun. If your considering CC with it, the 29 is a bunch easier to hide. Make sure you look at the SF models before you buy.

(Cambria County)

I have both also and would have to say it would depend on what you want.For a woods gun or OC the 20,for CC the 29.Recoil is about the same.I guess capacity could play a role but I carry the 29 unless I'm in the woods or it's cold.(CC most of the times)

(Washington County)

Not sure if anyone else brought it up yet, but the Glock 20 SF (Short Frame) is now available and the difference in the grip make a HUGE difference

One word of caution though.. Unless you plan on reloading, the ammo is really scarce in most places and as a consequence fo the scarcity, the price will be a little higher..

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I had a G32 for my "woods gun" for a while...but I was trying to be a litle bit multi purpose with it.

I'd advocate for the 20, so long as you don't think it's too big. The problem isn't so much the weight difference, as it is how easy it is to get your mitts on it. The 20 will just be easier to control, and have that larger capacity too.

IF you got a .44, you could reload .44 specials for it and target shoot with it all the time. 10mm is an expensive caliber to shoot...pistol calibers this large are kinda "single purpose"...if you reload though, the .44Magnum revolver might be worth looking at.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cambria County)

You can buy a 40s&w barrel for around $100 and shoot them if you don't want to reload.

I CC a G29 SF w/ full power loads from DT... the biggest pain is not the recoil, as its not much different than my snappy G27, but you have to order ammo on line.. I did see some at Gander MTN for the first time yesterday..but it was 180gr...

The G20 is a serious chunk of hardware, way to big to CC..

For the 29, get a GAP floorplate for it and you are good to go..