Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Question Becoming A LEO, Advice From LEO's Please

I have been interested in becoming a LEO ever since I've been 15. I am now 22 and still have that desire and want to know what steps I need to take. I've been in contact with several collages about criminal justice programs but I'm not sure if thats the best way to start or if I should work as a LEO for a year or 2 first. LEO's, Please advise. btw I have no record or even a parking ticket and have worked for a construction Co. for 4 years.

Also a few secondary questions, is it best to start as a small town officer or state trooper? What hours do you work to start? What can I expect starting salary to be?

Thank you.

-Nate

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Becoming A LEO, Advice From LEO's Please

(Philadelphia County)

around here it's difficult to get a PD job without at least a 2 year degree or military experience prior to the academy.

(Bucks County)

+1 on Military Police, otherwise you're going to want to get some college time (doesn't have to be only Criminal Justice, but that's a good direction) and a police academy (often with a local college and credits given for it).

These days you really need either military/college time for both local/state positions, not just in PA.

you'll probably want to either join the military(reserves counts, you still get your 10pts) or get 2yrs of criminal justice.. you can go into the academy, and hope you get picked up part time but you'll just kinda get bounces around, treated like dirt, and paid nothing with no benefits, and after 2 or 3yrs of that hopefully u get picked up fultime

(Luzerne County)

Well, for the most part getting job as a LEO in PA is difficult. Let me re-phrase that, getting a full-time LEO job is very hard. Trying some of the bigger cities, Philly, Allentown, Harrisburg, Pittsburg, etc might be easier due to their size and the need for officers.

You could get a part-time job......and work whatever shifts they give you and hope to get hired full-time..........someday. I've known several officers who started in smaller towns first, then try to get on with PSP.

PSP requires a college degree I think or, "X" amount of years experience working as a full-time LEO. They will accept a part-time LEO who can document he has worked so many hours over a certain period.

Some of the cities require a college degree or full-time hours as a way to eliminate the number of applicants. There is nothing wrong with being a municipal LEO as you will see alot more and do alot more than your average trooper. A local LEO may handle many, many calls during his shift whereas a trooper might only have a couple.

PSP will give you better pay and benefits for the most part. Going through the PSP Academy is alot like going through Marine Corps boot camp. There are always several individuals who either quit after the first day....or within the first weel or two.

Smile Re: Becoming A LEO, Advice From LEO's Please

it seems to be a second generation thing in my family, My Dad was a RCMP, now my niece is MUC (Montreal Urban Community)
    She just graduated last week, and got her job all set up near the Montreal Airport area. I introduce to you Helene.

Here she is with her Officer, Her Mom "Monique" and her father (my older Brother "Jean Charles"

Here is what you might expect if you try to be bad now in Montreal, Seems she went to the Swat/Riot team.

Guess I'll have to invite her down here for some shooting some time soon
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(York County)

Checked out YTI's campus in Lancaster last night, they have an awesome looking criminal justice program. Only $29,000... anyone wanna give me a grant?

I'll be checking out the army reserves now... along with more schools.

(York County)

Check with Harrisburg Area Community College Public Safety Training Center,
    There is still a program available where a "Pre Service" person can apply for
    Act 120 Training. You have to pay for the course/training, but once completed
    you would have a leg up, being certified. A department small, medium or large
    in PA., would be more than likely to accept you, You will have to go through the
    departments testing(civil service exam) physical agility test, oral interview etc.
    but if you want to be an LEO, Check it out and see what the requirements are
    as well as the cost involved.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    Check with Harrisburg Area Community College Public Safety Training Center,
    There is still a program available where a "Pre Service" person can apply for
    Act 120 Training. You have to pay for the course/training, but once completed
    you would have a leg up, being certified. A department small, medium or large
    in PA., would be more than likely to accept you, You will have to go through the
    departments testing(civil service exam) physical agility test, oral interview etc.
    but if you want to be an LEO, Check it out and see what the requirements are
    as well as the cost involved.
    Thank you, I'll look into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast