Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thumbs up What load should be safe in .455 webly

Trying to help a bud who wants to try some reloads for an old but good condition Webley revolver..not cut for 45ACP. He says 45 auto rim cases fit fine and load and eject ok so: What load of..say Unique would be a decent starter load for 230gr RNL bullets. He does not want "hot" loads, just some basic target loads so he can shoot his old warhorse occasionally.

(Clarion County)

Default Re: What load should be safe in .455 webly

Usual caution about internet loads but here are some for discussion:
    http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...Powder&Source=

EDIT: was curious about using the 45 auto rim cases and found this interesting: http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/c...ley-mk-vi.html
    Last edited by cephas; August 2nd, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Thumbs up Re: What load should be safe in .455 webly

Got it, thanks. We found a similar recommendation from another site. Sounds like 4gr of Unique it is.

(Montgomery County)

If it takes 45 AR and it closes and then rotates on pulling the trigger it has been cut, irrespective of what he says. Look at the serial number which runs around the outside of the cylinder's bottom edge. If you cannot see around a mm of clear steel below the number before reaching the bottom of the cylinder, it has been CUT. If you can, then he should not be able to chamber 45 AR. If he can, then you have a Webley with a stretched frame that is not safe to shoot.

If it has been cut, then load to give around 625 fps for a 255 grain 0.454 diameter lead bullet. I have 4 Mk VIs (3 cut and 1 still in 0.455) plus two cut Enfield Mk VIs (yes, Enfield made 25000 Mk VIs after WWI). If you load to 625 fps then you have a very accurate revolver up to around 10 yds. Dave_n

Thumbs up Re: What load should be safe in .455 webly

Thanks..He said it had not been 'cut' I dunno, but will measure the cylinder, etc. I still don't want to use anything like 45ACP ammo pressures in the old thing. Again, thanks. I see what you meant by 45AR not fitting since the rim is thicker than the rim on .455 Webley shells. Good tip!!!

(Montgomery County)

Yes Fred, if a 0.45 AR fits then it is either cut or the frame has stretched. If the latter then run away from ever considering firing the Webley with any load. Dave_n

Exclamation Re: What load should be safe in .455 webly

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Yes Fred, if a 0.45 AR fits then it is either cut or the frame has stretched. If the latter then run away from ever considering firing the Webley with any load. Dave_n
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yep..we measured the cyl and it has been milled for 45acp. WE decided on low power: 4.3 gr of Unique and 220 gr swcl 45 projectiles....they shoot ok and are very low recoil and you can almost see the round go down range, but are accurate ewnuf for the old war horse gun. Would it be helpful to put a bit of cotton in the case [on top of the powder] to keep the small charge back against the primer..or not??????

(Montgomery County)

Hi Fred:

No need for any "padding" as far as I am concerned. I have shot thousands of low power rounds through my assorted Webleys and Enfields without a problem. Enjoy the old Warhorse (the Mk VI is 100 years old in a couple of years as it was "sealed in 1915").. If you can find any 0.454 sized lead heads they will be more accurate in general. Dave_n

(Clarion County)

Unique is one of the least position sensitive powders available, no filler needed.
    For the last several years I've loaded 7.5 grs. in a 30-30 with cast bullet for plinking. Reference Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook".
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.