Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Gunsmith for work on my 1911?

I'm going to start to be looking around for someone to do some work on my full size Springfield 1911. I want to get a lighter trigger pull since mine right now is kinda stiff and I want something done to the ramp (I think that is what its called). If I have hollow points in my gun, when I go to rack the first one sometimes the bullet gets stuck before even leaving the mag or if it does rack, the bullet gets pushed down in the case.

About a month ago I went to Millers and he said he could get me a lighter trigger pull and he could try a different angle for the ramp but if I wanted it done, he needed to have it by the end of July or he wouldn't take it since he gets a lot of sporting rifles this time of the year. The soonest he would work on it again would be in the spring and it would run me $40-$50 for the work which doesn't seem too bad. Since July has passed I could use some suggestions on where else to go plus I don't care for Miller very much myself, every time I've been to his store it hasn't been that great and I'd rather take my money else where.

Default Re: Gunsmith for work on my 1911?

This is probably too far for you, but Gene at Village Arms did some work on my SA 1911 and did an excellent job. I had a beavertail, commander hammer and extended slide release installed for under $180. The quality of the work was second to none and, unlike other gunshops I've frequented, the people at Village arms are friendly and helpful. Gap is a hike, but It would probably be worth it IMHO for quality work.

My $0.02
    Last edited by Sharpshooter9x19; August 6th, 2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: spelling....

(Centre County)

PM sent to Relex with a guy's name. Didn't want to post his name/number in public w/o permission

(Centre County)

You could send a PM to everyone else too ...or just send me one...A good 1911 guy is someone I want in my Rolodex!
    "Anything not compulsory, is strictly prohibited!!"