Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Question O/U Shotgun, Big Game Hunting?

Has anyone here used an O/U shotgun as an all purpose gun for Deer & Turkey seasons? Looking to buy a gun that I can use to hunt in the 4 & 5 range MLU's in PA - but also to take to NY where 95% of the deer area is shotgun only.

Just to save time, I know that a 28" rifled barrel is better for deer than a 28" smoothbore, and vice versa for turkey. I know an O/U would work great on turkey with the right chokes - so this question is more for Deer. Has anyone done this and made it work?

Are there any manufacturers that rifle one barrel and leave the other smooth?

(York County)

Default Re: O/U Shotgun, Big Game Hunting?

i have a marlin 90 that i shoot trap and small game with. i have never paper targeted it with slugs, but would expect different points of impact for the two barrels, as most double guns are regulated to throw shot in crossing patterns at about 30 yards.

there are no factory doubles made that i have ever heard of with one rifled and one smooth, both in shotgun chamberings.

(Berks County)

Get a remington 870 with rifled slug barrel and choked smoothbore.. Price should be better than over under and less weight to carry in the field. Been very happ with my purchace

(Bucks County)

I hunt small game and turkey w/ an old Marlin O/U that was my Pappy's. It is a 20 ga. and I would rather a rifled 870 for deer though I hunt deer w/ a rifle.

My O/U has too much sentimental value [IMHO] to shoot slugs as it is 81 yrs old.

(Dauphin County)

Yea - thanks for the advice guys. I've started looking at a 30-30, when spring turkey season comes around I'll just pickup a cheap shotgun.

(Wayne County)

Looks like a great excuse to buy 2 guns

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 308man View Post
    Get a remington 870 with rifled slug barrel and choked smoothbore.. Price should be better than over under and less weight to carry in the field. Been very happ with my purchace
    Why, because that's your opinion? The man obviously doesn't want an 870 or he'd have bought one!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Why, because that's your opinion? The man obviously doesn't want an 870 or he'd have bought one!
    Amen. I'd go with a Mossberg 500 anyways - which I already own. However I have a strictly HD model - Pistol Grip, Heat Shield, 18" Barrel, 7+1 Cap, 3" receiver. I'll stop there so no one gets a hard on.

Anyways, you're right I was looking for a gun that would serve well for Deer and both Turkey seasons in PA - plus some lower NY State Deer Hunting where everything is shotgun. However, I think while we're still allowed rifles down in PA in a majority of WMU's i'll get a nice .30-30. I figure once I get it scoped (which I have a great backup sitting on rings in my gun safe) and sighted in I could shoot a tick off a deer's pecker at 200 yards. Same for Fall Turkey if they have pecker's and tick's...

When Spring Turkey season comes around I'll use that as an excuse to get a second shotgun, maybe a cheap single breach to start with. Seen those selling for $50-$60 over at my local store used.

(Lawrence County)

I think in your area you're allowed to use a rifle for turkey... I know in my area it's shotgun/bow only...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    I think in your area you're allowed to use a rifle for turkey... I know in my area it's shotgun/bow only...

-Chaz
    Yea Chaz - I can for Fall Turkey - and intend to. But when spring rolls around I'll need to get a shotgun. Now just trying to find a cheap used rifle to make my own