Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Motorcycle inspection question

Does anyone happen to know if a motorcycle needs to be licensed/insured before it can be inspected or can you get one inspected with just a title?

The reason I ask is because I'm considering buying a used motorcycle that currently isn't licensed nor has a valid inspection, just a title, so I was going to ask the seller to have it inspected and pending it's passing an inspection, I'd buy it. I wasn't sure though if the motorcycle would have to be licensed and insured before a mechanic would even inspect it though.
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(York County)

Default Re: Motorcycle inspection question

it needs to be registered and have insurance. You will need proof of these when you get it inspected
    Some shops will check it out for you and let you know if it will pass or fail but can't sticker it until you show proof of registration and insurance. Even though a title shows ownership if in your name you cannot use that as proof when getting it inspected. Basically the mechanic has to fill out information in a book where he records all vehichles that he passes. If I remember correctly I think one of the things you have to fill out is registration number and insurance policy number.
    Last edited by S&WM&P40; August 3rd, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    it needs to be registered and have insurance. You will need proof of these when you get it inspected
    Some shops will check it out for you and let you know if it will pass or fail but can't sticker it until you show proof of registration and insurance. Even though a title shows ownership if in your name you cannot use that as proof when getting it inspected. Basically the mechanic has to fill out information in a book where he records all vehichles that he passes. If I remember correctly I think one of the things you have to fill out is registration number and insurance policy number.
    That's what I'm hoping the seller is willing to and can find a shop to do. I don't really want to buy a motorcycle than have to put a ton of money into it because the seller said it should pass inspection
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Delaware County)

Make the deal contingent on the bike passing inspection, or price to get it legal comes off selling price.

Easy as pie!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Northampton County)

Do not buy this bike based on passing inspection, most stations dont bother checking the bike, they want to hear a horn sound, see lights and thats it. If you a concerned with the condition of this bike have it checked out at a shop.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 30Glock View Post
    Do not buy this bike based on passing inspection, most stations dont bother checking the bike, they want to hear a horn sound, see lights and thats it. If you a concerned with the condition of this bike have it checked out at a shop.
    Lights, Horn, brakes and tires is all that is legally needed. A good bike shop will always do a safety inspection.

(Northampton County)

I dont think the OP is worried about that, Rather a more detailed inspection is what he is looking for i think.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 30Glock View Post
    I dont think the OP is worried about that, Rather a more detailed inspection is what he is looking for i think.
    Ahhhh, gotchya. Well, if he is lacking the skills to look for obvious issues, HE would have to pay for that kind of inspection.

But I don't know any bike shop that would State Inspect something with a known serious issue.(Cracked frame, blown tranny, or warped rotors.

(York County)

Yea as was brought up by someone else above, most shops toot the horn, check the tires and lights and check the brakes. It's not to hard for a bike to pass inspection. I think most places leave it up to the owner to perform his or her own safety check on the bike. Obvious things to check for before purchasing the bike is bent or cracked frame. Some signs of that may be unevenly worn tires or if you test ride it you may feel it pull. Make sure the tires are not cracked or dry rotted. Make sure there is no flat spots on the tires either. Check the rotors if equipped to make sure they were not cracked or have uneven wear patterns. Make sure all lights/turn signals horn work. Make sure it shifts through the gears smoothly. Also when test riding listen for any unusual sounds. Check the chain to make sure it was properly maintained. That's all I can think of right now but hopefully some of these things will help you make sure it is safe to ride. You could have a safety check performed on the bike by a dealership or other high end shop. If you have basic mechanical knowledge checking it out yourself is not to difficult. Either way good luck with your purchase and be safe out there. There is to many distracted drivers (women on cell phones, putting on makeup, eating, yelling at kids in back seat) on the road. I always pay special attention to minivans because they seem to be the most likely to run you off the road.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka