Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Question Moving to Hazleton

I recently moved to Hazleton from Missouri and I am looking to hone my meager shooting skills, specifically handgun skills.

I have heard of a range SGC #141 on Route 93 toward 209, but I have several questions about PA ranges.

What does SGC mean? Does the game commission offer public ranges? How can I find detailed directions to ranges in my area(public or otherwise)? What are the range rules for public ranges?(I have a Missouri Concealed Carry Permit and NEED to practice firing from holster, shooting in bursts, shooting on the move) If I can't practice defense tactics at public ranges, where can I go?

Also, I am interested in handgun schools/classes, and competition such as IDPA; as well as getting involved in PA gun politics.

I am a youngster by gun community standards, I would love to start off on the right foot.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you PAFOA!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Moving to Hazleton

Quote Originally Posted by MadeInMissouri View Post
    I recently moved to Hazleton from Missouri and I am looking to hone my meager shooting skills, specifically handgun skills.

I have heard of a range SGC #141 on Route 93 toward 209, but I have several questions about PA ranges.

What does SGC mean? Does the game commission offer public ranges? How can I find detailed directions to ranges in my area(public or otherwise)? What are the range rules for public ranges?(I have a Missouri Concealed Carry Permit and NEED to practice firing from holster, shooting in bursts, shooting on the move) If I can't practice defense tactics at public ranges, where can I go?

Also, I am interested in handgun schools/classes, and competition such as IDPA; as well as getting involved in PA gun politics.

I am a youngster by gun community standards, I would love to start off on the right foot.

Welcome, we'd be happy to have you around and help you out. If you could PM Pa. Patriot....we can set up a time to get together.

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

(Northumberland County)

heres a list of Shooting ranges in PA, look for the ones in Hazelton and surrounding areas.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=PA

Welcome to PA enjoy !

(York County)

SGC is the State Game Commission. They do have public ranges but if you go, be aware of the posted rules about how many rounds you can have in your magazines. They are different for rifle and pistol, and they enforce the rules. Here are the rules.

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll like it here!

Don T.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Pa Patriot View Post
    Welcome, we'd be happy to have you around and help you out. If you could PM Pa. Patriot....we can set up a time to get together.
    Yeah okay! As soon as he cleans them out so we CAN pm him!

Seriously though, Welcome to Pa. .. just PM or ask and there will be tons of people to help you through anything you can think of!

(Luzerne County)

What does SGC mean?
    SGC is an abbreviation that mixes PCG, the Pennsylvania Game Commission, and SGL, state game lands.

Does the game commission offer public ranges? How can I find detailed directions to ranges in my area(public or otherwise)?
    Yes, they do. The Pennsylvania Game Commission’s web site lists all the state game land public shooting ranges, along with directions (some more detailed than others) to their locations. The mapped locations of your nearby state game land public shooting ranges are linked below:

What are the range rules for public ranges?
    The official rules for state game land public shooting ranges can be found in 58 Pa. Code §§ 135.181 (Rifle and handgun ranges) and 135.182 (Ranges, State Game Lands No. 176)

(I have a Missouri Concealed Carry Permit and NEED to practice firing from holster, shooting in bursts, shooting on the move) If I can't practice defense tactics at public ranges, where can I go?
    Since pretty much all of that is restricted to some degree at state game land public shooting ranges, you will have to seek out some privately owned ranges or training classes that allow such things.

Also, I am interested in handgun schools/classes, and competition such as IDPA…
    Check out the competitions and training courses for events in the Hazleton area.

… as well as getting involved in PA gun politics.
    Pretty much the entire forum is a good starting point for that.

Asking questions and getting to know how things are and what’s going on around you is the best way to start! Welcome to PAFOA, and I hope I helped at least a little bit.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Yeah okay! As soon as he cleans them out so we CAN pm him!

Seriously though, Welcome to Pa. .. just PM or ask and there will be tons of people to help you through anything you can think of!
    His PM box is still at 90%....was wondering why you PM'd me. lol He cleaned it out over a week ago.

PROUD WIFE OF PA. PATRIOT
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. "-Thomas Jefferson

(Carbon County)

I live near the state range on 93, if you want to go let me know, I may be able to meet you there for a friendly shoot. Stick around here and you will learn a lot from these guys. Great people and a ton of knowledge. And they are willing to take time out and help you out with any questions, (as long as you are willing to learn). I can say my knowledge of firearms has greatly improved since I joined this sight.

Welcome to PA and the PAFOA family.

Jim
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Luzerne County)

Welcome to the forum. Welcome to Pa. How long have you been in Pa. Do you plan on staying.

Have you thought about getting your LTCF?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

normanvin,

I think your LTCF is the same as what I referred to as a CCW(Conceal and Carry Weapons Permit). In which case, I have mine from missouri(which shares reciprocity with PA). It is good for another 3 years, but if there is any reason that I should update it to a PA license I would love being helped out.

I have been here since June 1st, I moved from Missouri just after graduating college for work. I'm not sure how long I'll stay, but it is a permanent position and I don't see myself leaving any time soon.

To everyone else; I'm new to this site, so please allow me some stupid mistakes

Also, I want to thank everyone for being so warm and receptive. I almost didn't check my post today because I didn't think i would get any hits...silly me.
    Last edited by MadeInMissouri; August 2nd, 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast