Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default HH&A Member Looking for Hunting Partner

I joined HH&A back in June and have been getting a lot of use out of their ranges. I've been shooting for about 5 years now but so far all of it has been at ranges. I'm looking to get into the world of hunting but am still wet behind the ears. As a kid I always wanted to go, but my family had no experienced hunters to show me the ropes.

I'm completely new to hunting but am a very good shot and know a lot about firearms, firearm safety, shooting, etc. I just finished the PA Hunter's Education Safety course today, and now I'm looking for someone that I can shadow closely and learn from - this upcoming Deer season. I joined HH&A in June not only for the range, but in hopes of meeting someone, or a group of people, who I could become friends with and take me under their wing and teach me how to hunt. Not necessarily Deer, but all PA Game - deer to start though seeing as how that is the closest season coming up.

I know to some people hunting is second nature and I may get laughed at for posting this, but that's okay. Since I've been reading this forum (also for a few months now) most of what I have seen is a group of helpful and encouraging people who are willing to explain things to those that want to learn.

Most of the people I have talked to about taking me under their wing said they already have kids they are teaching, or are hunting on private land and can't take guests, etc. They have suggested talking to people at HH&A or at my work. I work in a white collar office and needless to say I don't think many of the people there hunt - I know some fish...

I'm at a point now where just having gotten my Hunter's Education Certificate I can buy a license - but do not know where to go from here. I'm planning on showing up at the HH&A meeting this Tuesday and voicing my request, maybe I'll get lucky and meet someone who will take me on. However, if anyone here would be willing to help me that would make my day.

Anyone who knows what they're doing and wouldn't mind passing on their knowledge please let me know. I mention hunting partner in my link too because I would plan to continue to hunt with my teacher well after learning what I'm doing (which may or may not take that long, haha).

(Somerset County)

Default Re: HH&A Member Looking for Hunting Partner

Talk to the fisherman. Chances are they hunt too or have a fishing buddy who hunts.

There are some other websites more oriented to Pa. hunting than this one. Stay out of their political sections and ask your hunting questions. You'll get good advice.

http://www.huntingpa.com/

http://pasportsmanportal.com/

and a national site

http://24hourcampfire.com/index.html

Dale

(Montgomery County)

I joined Huntingpa.com. Nice group of people over there for the most part. I met up with a really nice local guy who has been showing me the ropes. We went out a few times last year and he got me my first Pheasant. That would be where I would suggest going first.

Are you looking to hunt local or are you looking to travel?

(Dauphin County)

Local at first - I want to ease into it but won't be opposed to travelling (In-State) later on...

I did get in contact with a really nice guy in Lebanon this weekend who is going to take me under his wing and show me how it's done. So I think at this point I'm setup to have a great first time hunting!

(Montgomery County)

Good to hear. Enjoy yourself and be safe!

(Chester County)

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the HH&A? I've never heard of this group....Do they promote the hunting/shooting sports?

Don't discount those white collars brother. I'd bet more of them are hunters than you think. Its that way where I work. Just as many hunters in the office as there are in the shops......

I'd say try dove or squirrel hunting as a way to get your feet wet. Those two types of hunting are about the easiest you can do. For dove, you find a field, park your butt on a folding chair along a treeline or in some scrub, and watch the skies. When a dove flies over, shoot it. I'm simplifying things a bit by not mentioning patterning the doves fly ways, practicing on skeets beforehand, etc, but its really not much more than finding where they're flying and then picking a spot underneath.

For squirrels, grab a .22, head to a woodlot thats got alot of older growth nut bearing trees, then either sit down and wait for them, or as I do, slowly walk the woods until you see one, then take him off the tree with a nice headshot. Course you have to have a taste for squirrel meat, or at least know someone who does(not a good deal to just shoot animals for the hell of it) .

Hunting, at least small game isn't all that difficult. Yes, you should go with a seasoned vet, but you can do it alone if need be.

One more piece ofd advice I'll give, for what its worth. If you watch those TV hunting shows, take them with a healthy grain of salt, for what you're seeing is a far cry from the reality of hunting, at least here in PA. Most of those TV personalities hunt on paid ranches with fences and nearly tame animals, and whose sponsors have deep pockets. Those clowns actually do hunting a disservice IMO, by perpetuating the "Bambi" killer myth to alot of anti's who would have people believe all hunters are nothing but murderous blood thirsty killers.
    Last edited by Poonie; August 3rd, 2009 at 02:19 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the support and advice guys (and the +Rep Soup!). HH&A is short for Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers - great local gun club over in Paxtonia with lots of members, lots of ranges - good place to spend some time and lead.

I don't think I'm going to hunt small game - for two reasons. One is I can practice shooting on paper with the same bullets, two is that I would not be eating or using small game in any way shape or form. Not that I'm shy of taking game - because I will, but no animals life is worth my practice when i can shoot on paper. For now anyways, I'll be sticking to deer and turkey - two animals that I will use everything on down to the bones.

I don't doubt there's hunters in my office but I know for sure we have enough Libs in management here that it would make my life hell to go around advertising it, haha. Also, I don't watch any hunting shows on TV - I don't watch that much TV at all for that matter.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawe View Post
    I don't think I'm going to hunt small game - for two reasons. One is I can practice shooting on paper with the same bullets, two is that I would not be eating or using small game in any way shape or form. Not that I'm shy of taking game - because I will, but no animals life is worth my practice when i can shoot on paper. For now anyways, I'll be sticking to deer and turkey - two animals that I will use everything on down to the bones.

There are plenty of good recipes for small game. Rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, grouse are all very fine eating when prepared right.

Practice can mean more than just shooting. If all your shooting practice is from a benchrest, hunting and shooting at game is not the same.

Stalking the squirrel woods with a 22 LR is great practice for deer season. Moving slow, spotting game, using your binoculars, getting ready for the shot, all these things are the same whether you are hunting deer or squirrels. Rabbit and Pheasant hunting gets you some exercise, gets your legs used to walking on uneven ground and gives you a more practice at spotting animals and learning about the local habitat, maybe even a small patch where the big buck is hiding.

Dale

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawe View Post
    I don't think I'm going to hunt small game - for two reasons. One is I can practice shooting on paper with the same bullets, two is that I would not be eating or using small game in any way shape or form. Not that I'm shy of taking game - because I will, but no animals life is worth my practice when I can shoot on paper. For now anyways, I'll be sticking to deer and turkey - two animals that I will use everything on down to the bones.
    I wasn't suggesting you go for small game solely as practice for big game. That's why I mentioned if you aren't going to eat the animal, or at least give it to someone who will, not to do it. Even though you do get practice for big game by huntin gsmall game, small game in and of itself has its own perks and enjoyments from a hunting standpoint. And this you cannot substitute on paper. I don't believe in killing and then leaving an animal lay either, not even groundhog, but supposedly its common to shoot them then slit them open and leave for the buzzards. I won't do that.

I tried squirrel once, and absolutely detest it. Just me, however I knew a guy through my dad who loved them, so we used to give this guy the meat. Doves I will eat, wrapped in bacon and barbequed. Pheasant is absolutley delicious, as is grouse and wild turkey.

Now deer meat is something I also do not like. However I have probably 20 people (including my parents) who will take it without question. So as long as I know its not being wasted, I will hunt it. Plus you can donate the meat to a good cause.
    Last edited by Poonie; August 4th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Now deer meat is something I also do not like. However I have probably 20 people (including my parents) who will take it without question. So as long as I know its not being wasted, I will hunt it. Plus you can donate the meat to a good cause.
    Ah, that's rough - Venison is great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast