Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Help need night sights installed on G30

I need help to find a shop or a smith in the Harrisburg or York area that can install night sights on my new Glock 30. I tried the shop I bought the gun at in Rheems and they didn't seem interested . Any help to point me in the right direction is much appreciated.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Pike County)

Default Re: Help need night sights installed on G30

Quote Originally Posted by cybersurf View Post
    I need help to find a shop or a smith in the Harrisburg or York area that can install night sights on my new Glock 30. I tried the shop I bought the gun at in Rheems and they didn't seem interested . Any help to point me in the right direction is much appreciated.
    Nothing could be easier than changing the sights on a Glock. I've done a 35 (many sight changes) and a 22 with no special tools. You need a 3/16" nut driver for the front sight. Get the skinniest one you can, my Craftsman was a tight enough fit that I hit it with emery paper to make it fit better.

--RobW

(Allegheny County)

definitely a DIYable job if you want to.

on the front sight:

i did have to grind down the lip of a socket for the front sights. the screw/bolt thingie is not very "high" up and my socket had a little lip that was designed to help guide the socket onto a bolt/nut kinda like a funnel. but that "funnel" was deep enough that the socket could not seat far enough to actually grab the bolt head. once i ground that lip off, though, the socket worked fine.

make sure the sight stays parallel to the slide as you tighten down the "bolt". i have had glock/night sight combos where the night sight barely fit into the oval on the slide and, so, this was a complete non-issue as the sight could not really turn at all. however, i have also had slide/night sight combos where there was enough play that the sight could rotate a bit. i recommend putting the slide upside down on a vice with the sight in the vice (don't tighten the vice too hard or you might break the tritium vial, but snug it down enough so the sight cannot rotate) and the slide then sitting on top of the vice jaws. then just make sure the slide doesn't rotate at all as you tighten the "bolt" down.

rear sight:

(the rear sight is just a press fit into the dovetail groove on the slide. the sight slides--with the application of enough force--"sideways" in and out of the groove.)

i just drive the old sight out of the dovetail with a hammer and punch. if you are worried about saving the old sight, though, you might want to use a bought/rigged up sight pusher to push the old one out. (not that i have ever actually broken one pounding it out, but ya never know.)

for putting the new on in, you could just use the hammer and punch method too, but i personally worry about breaking the tritium vials doing that, so...

you can buy a sight pusher or rig up your own. i rig up my own with a vice and a brass punch or flat head screw driver bit (whatever i have handy). i clamp the slide to one of the vice jaws (with a rag between the slide and the jaw to keep the jaw from marring the slide). i then hold the punch/screwdriver bit with my hand with the business end on the sight and the other end against the other vice jaw. then just slowly close the vice while holding the punch/screwdriver in place. this will press the sight into the dovetail.

to start with, just center the sight relative to the slide. this will get you at least very close to sighted in on most glocks.

take your rigged up sight pusher out to the range and you can use it to move the sight left or right to get it perfectly sighted in. (i suggest, howver, making sure that it is the gun that is causing the point of impact to be off and not you. many people adjust their sights when really they are disturbing the sight picture as the shot breaks...so they end up with two wrongs that sometimes approximates a right.)

i have undoubtedly made this all sound much more difficult than it actually is. it isn't hard at all. if you have the mechanical aptitude to change the oil in your car and you have a vice, you can change the sights on your glock.
    F*S=k

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for info LittleRedToyota, I think I might be able to do that. I am waiting for my sights to come in the mail. I have a vice that I should be able to rig up. I was just afraid of smacking them with punch and hammer. I am just a liitle apprehensive about marring something up, but I guess taking my time will help.
    Thanks Again
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK