Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default East Earl Township, Lanc. Co. Officer Shot

http://www.abc27.com/news/stories/0607/429440.html

East earl Township, Lancaster County - State Police are leading a search this morning for the man who shot and wounded an East Earl Township Police Officer.

Officer Greg Yarbrough was on duty when he noticed a suspicious person outside of his home near Main Street and Reading Road at 12:30 a.m. His wife was in the home asleep.

"Officer Yarbrough confronted the individual and a scuffle occured, resulting in Officer Yarbrough being shot by his own firearm," said State Police Trooper Blain Hertzog. "Officer Yarborough's injuries are not life-threatening."

Yarbrough is a six-year-veteran of the East Earl Township Police Department. He was flown by helicopter to Lancaster General Hospital for a gunshot wound to his leg.

Police continue to search for the man responsible. State Police are using a helicopter and canine units and are being assisted by 15 local police departments from Lancaster and Berks Counties.

Police say residents of the area should not be concerned. They do not believe the man they're seeking could be of harm to other people.

Police are not sure whether the suspect is still in the area. They do not know whether he is armed. Officer Yarbrough's gun has been recovered.

Residents of East Earl Township can expect to encounter roadblocks during the morning commute as the search continues.

It will be interesting to hear more about how this happened. At least he's going to be OK. Hope they catch the scum-bag.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; June 7th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(York County)

Question Re: East Earl Township, Lanc. Co. Officer Shot

"Residents of the area Should Not Be Concerned" ???, If this suspect was
    willing t to take on an "Armed Police Officer", What exactly is he willing to
    do to the average citizen. Being the officer was shot with his own firearm,
    Did he shoot himself in the leg attempting to draw his weapon?, or was he
    disarmend by the suspect and shot in the struggle for control of the weapon ?
    If I lived in that area, I would be dam well concerned and take the steps
    to protect my family. Or is there more to the story that has not released
    that would be an embarrament to the officer. Interesting huh?
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: East Earl Township, Lanc. Co. Officer Shot

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    Or is there more to the story that has not released
    that would be an embarrament to the officer. Interesting huh?
    There is a lot missing because the article didn't give any real details about how it happened. Possibly because the office is hospitalized, or maybe just the usual poor reporting by Lancaster Newspapers.

(Perry County)

The last I heard (this morning), I believe the reporter said that the officer was tackled by the suspect. The way it sounded, the officer may have shot himself in the leg during that tackle or the ensuing struggle.

Does anyone in that area know if the East Earl officers have tazers? If so, I would ask why he didn't employ it if the suspect charged him. He obviously saw the suspect because that's why he stopped. Hopefully, more of the story will come out.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Westmoreland County)

The guy is probably not a danger to others because he was probably banging the guys wife, he caught him and engaged him and the other guy defended himself.

If he's a dangerous criminal, why leave the gun?

Meh, have to play Devil's Advocate on this one.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(York County)

HC, I'm going to have to join you at this point in time. There is something not being said about this.
    First he is on duty and just happens to be near his home, his home is in his AO, but there is alot more to his patroling area.
    The more I think about it, I tend to agree that there is more to this then they are telling us. I also tend to think it is about a cheating wife and her boyfriend.
    Who knows? I guess we will find out in the future what really happened.