Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firearms tip 101

When performing a detail strip of your firearm and it requires you to remove springs. I HIGHLY recommend putting the parts into a large zip lock bag or trash bag. Those springs tend to fly off and sometimes you may never find the spring or parts again.

Case in point...when detail stripping Glock, XD, Steyr slides. There were times where I thought I lost my spring and small parts forever. Each time I was able to find the parts...after hours of searching the black hole known to some as my gun room. LOL

I have been very fortunate in locating the missing springs and parts, but I learned my lesson and will follow my own advice from this day forward (unless I am in a hurry).

(Washington County)

Default Re: Firearms tip 101

I also recommend a small dish or tray that is (moderately ) magnetized on the bottom. It will hold parts for you in one area without losing them.

(Lawrence County)

And...as you take apart a firearm for the first time.....take some digital photos......they can help in reassembly when things get confusing.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Thumbs up Re: Firearms tip 101

Sears has nice little magnetic dishes or mats that work very well.

I was in the middle of cleaning three guns when I had to leave abruptly, the whole time I was out I was very paranoid of the cats getting on the table and knocking my springs into never never land.

Went out and bought a magnetic mat the next day.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

I keep all my parts in a plastic CCI ammo box (you all have at least one 22, right? ). I keep all my boxes I get for that purpose. They have sliding lids to boot. I try to never disassemble a gun without those little life savers!

+10 on Lycan's post!

(Lebanon County)

+1 on the digital photos, what a lifesaver that can be. Close-up shots from several angles can't be beat when reassembling. I've done it for shotguns, rifles and car repairs as well, especially brake jobs with drum brakes.
    I got one of those little magnectic parts bowls from Sears for Christmas. I haven't used it yet, but now I know what It's primary function will be.
    Thanks jdlv4_0.

Thumbs up Re: Firearms tip 101

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    +1 on the digital photos, what a lifesaver that can be. Close-up shots from several angles can't be beat when reassembling. I've done it for shotguns, rifles and car repairs as well, especially brake jobs with drum brakes.
    I got one of those little magnectic parts bowls from Sears for Christmas. I haven't used it yet, but now I know what It's primary function will be.
    Thanks jdlv4_0.
    no problem, I need to get one of those bowls too, I think they'd be great for soaking parts when I do a full field strip on my 1911s. The mat is great, but I don't care for using the wife's glass bowls for soaking things in gun scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    And...as you take apart a firearm for the first time.....take some digital photos......they can help in reassembly when things get confusing.
    You mean like the disconnecter and and sear placement That gave me a few minutes trouble the first time I did a full break down of a 1911.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; June 7th, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Lawrence County)

With parts that have trouble staying in place while you assemble them around a spring or pin (like sear and disconnectors or series 80 parts) you can use a dab of grease to hold the parts in place. Later, flushing the assembly with Zippo/Ronsonol lighter fluid will dissolve the excess. Lighter fluid is perfect for cleaning trigger assemblies without taking anything apart. It also leaves a thin wax buildup that acts as a lube.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I like to tinker around with firearms that I am not farmilar with...I recall the first time I handled the Beretta M9. I was in the Army and I was the driver for my Company Commander. We were out in the field and my Captain had to go home for a few hours. He handed me his M9 to secure while he went home. I looked at the M9 and thought, I want to take this thing a part and see how it works. So I began to disassemble the M9 in our tent, when my Capt walks in the tent. He just gave me a strange look and I told him that I was curious how the weapon diassembles. I figured it out without any manual or ever holding the M9 prior to that day.

The tough part is getting the firearm back together and making sure it is fully functional. I guess the moral of the story is to not be afraid to tinker with your firearm. Just take your time and make sure you don't have "extra" pieces after you reassemble.

I'm a little too afraid to strip someone else's gun, but for mine I'm always taking them apart, finding out how they work, thinking of ways to improve them, etc. etc. I want an AK just for this purpose. I'd hardly use it...just would love to strip it down and examine the parts. Guns can be quite fascinating.

Lycan, have you ever tried gas for cleaning? I know I've used it to clean off quite a few oil based products, but never wanted to attempt it on a firearm. I've heard break cleaner too. I like the idea of a little lube (no snide comments) with the lighter fluid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast