Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Pa NOT recognizing NON-Resident permits

WARNING long post/rant...
    saw a letter stating that Pa is not recognizing any non-resident permits, here
    http://handgunlaw.us/documents/PA_AG_Letter-50.jpg

although my concern is the implications of the FL non-res permits

this is directly from the reciprocity agreement

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=428

..."The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania."

Nowhere do I see ANY mention of resident or non-resident status ( such as the PA-VA agreement http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploa...eciprocity.pdf )...which means to me that there is NO difference, and I WILL carry in PA. with a FL. NON-RES permit, PSP be damned, they do NOT make the law, and I will NOT cower in fear that they THINK they do, anyone with any common sense can read the agreement and see that it states "valid Florida permit holders" ( maybe that's the problem, THE common sense)......

But just for SH!ts and giggles, I am writing all my local rep's etc, today, that they introduce a bill to amend the agreement, and to read that resident status has NO bearing on honoring the permit.

Date

My Name
    MY Address

Their Name
    Their Address

Dear Sir, senator, representative, etc..

I am writing you today in regards to Pennsylvania’s firearm reciprocity agreement with Florida (Copy Enclosed). An issue I find very disturbing, It seems that there is some VERY conflicting information about this agreement between the Pa. Attorney General’s office and that of the Pa. State Police on the honoring of a NON-Resident permit in regards to the resident status of the permit holder, as Florida as well as New Hampshire, Virginia, and several other state’s (as well as Pennsylvania) do issue NON-Resident Permits to person’s after they undergo an investigation of there person.

I.e. in the case of Florida, they must submit fingerprints, which Florida sends to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, who then runs a background check, and reports back to Florida.

This Far exceeds the check that Pa. uses to issue their license to carry firearms, whether it is to a resident or NON-Resident of Pa, i.e. NO fingerprints, NO FBI background investigation.

If you read the agreement, it is plain to see and simple to understand that the agreement state’s “The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid Florida licenses to carry concealed firearms by valid Florida permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania”. Yet there seems to be much confusion over this. Nowhere in the agreement is any mention made whether the permit holder need to be a resident of the state of Florida.
    Yet the Pa. State Police seem to insist that there is an issue with a NON-Resident permit, as referenced to in an opinion letter (copy enclosed) from the Pa. Attorney General’s office. I find this to be an egregious act, in which the Pa. state police are clearly overstepping their boundaries as a law enforcement agency and are in fact trying to re-write the laws to suite themselves.

It is at this time, Senator Punt, that I ask you as my Senator, to please see that this matter is put to rest. If I may suggest that a new reciprocity agreement be drafted or the current agreement be amended, for Florida as well as any other state that issues NON-Resident permits, to which Pennsylvania has a firearm reciprocity agreement, to ensure that the resident status of the permit holder NOT be an issue, and ALL person’s who have a valid permit be free from fear of prosecution by an overzealous law enforcement agency.

Thank you for you time. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions in regards to this letter.

Sincerely,

Me.

o.k. done

(Berks County)

Default Re: Pa NOT recognizing NON-Resident permits

This is already being discussed in this thread:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...w-holders.html

Closing this thread to keep the discussion in one place.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas