Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Somerset County)

Default 1911 vs Glock 21/30

Ok, I finally took my first handgun course and as expected I wasn't very good. I did learn a lot and now know what I need to work on to improve (trigger pull, sight picture). I got "bitten" repeatedly by my SA Micro Compact (3" 1911) and had some FTF issues. I either need to add a better beavertail and have some polishing done or consider another handgun for my primary. I did shoot another student's Glock 21 and liked it. I'm trying to make up my mind which way to go.

SA Micro
    Pros: smallish, 1911, already own
    Cons: heavy, needs polishing, needs beavertail

Glock 21 (or 30)
    Pros: simple, light
    Cons: trade or purchase needed, need to reacquire holsters/accessories

Now I expect responses to be varied as this is like a Chevy vs Ford question ...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1911 vs Glock 21/30

Are you limited to a Glock for any reason or leaning toward that because you shot that? If not, investigate and search for the best gun that fits you. I'm not a big fan of sub-compacts. Compact is as small as I'll go for a multitude of reasons.

Being in Johnstown, it's a hike, but stop out for a PAFOA shoot at PMSC some time. Make sure to ask if others will bring examples of guns similar to what you are looking for and try some. If you plan on trying a lot, pick up a few boxes of ammo. Putting rounds through a gun only adds wear. PAFOA members are painfully genersous, but supplying the ammo can get expensive.

There's one on Aug 9.

Stop in, say hi, shoot guns, get advice, enjoy the day...

(York County)

with the 1911 it will need a break-in period of a couple hundred rounds. Also they are very sensitive to how you grip the gun. If you get a good beavertail your grip will be higher and give you better control and you won't constantly be living in fear of hammer bite. i would get a beavertail and maybe a fluff and buff after a couple hundred more rounds if the feeding doesn't improve.

The glock 21 will be alot harder to conceal than you micro 1911.

(Allegheny County)

LOL

PA is a PMSC/Poofa shooter from the old days. He knows what they are all about. And his wife makes some of the best cookies on the face of this planet. No offence to Colagirl who's threats are just fantastic in their own right.

on topic

also not a big fan of subcompacts
    they are not comfortable enough to shoot with any regularity therefore you will not practice with them. better to go a little larger and get a really good belt and holster (will help with the additional size/weight).
    I've heard (don't know whether they are true or not) that the short barreled 1911 style guns just don't seem to be as reliable as the 5 inch ones.

normally (for everyday kind of thing) i carry my ruger sp101.
    last week i was inspecting some vacant houses in the city. i decided to carry my pt1911 (extra fire power). after one or two days i swithed to the glock 19 (smaller but more bullets). found that with all the moving around and climbing the g19 was the better way to go for me at least for what i was doing last week.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    Ok, I finally took my first handgun course and as expected I wasn't very good. I did learn a lot and now know what I need to work on to improve (trigger pull, sight picture). I got "bitten" repeatedly by my SA Micro Compact (3" 1911) and had some FTF issues. I either need to add a better beavertail and have some polishing done or consider another handgun for my primary. I did shoot another student's Glock 21 and liked it. I'm trying to make up my mind which way to go.

SA Micro
    Pros: smallish, 1911, already own
    Cons: heavy, needs polishing, needs beavertail

Glock 21 (or 30)
    Pros: simple, light
    Cons: trade or purchase needed, need to reacquire holsters/accessories

Now I expect responses to be varied as this is like a Chevy vs Ford question ...
    I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the FTF issues occurred after some significant hammer bite...

If I'm right, I'm going to guess that the issues were due to your grip. It's hard not to hold the gun a little different after it bites you...that shit can hurt (trust me, I know ).

If that's not the case, then the gun likely needs to be worked on a bit, which may or may not be worth it to you. The cost of a new beavertail grip safety and polishing/carry work by a gun smith is going to be close to that of a new gun anyway in the end (after shipping, price for the parts, price for the work). Personally, I'd get a new gun. I don't know that I'd get the Glock automatically, there are a handful of contenders there for you to look at. For example, the XD .45 and the FN45 (there's one at SGD as I recall) should be in a similar price range as the Glock.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Are you limited to a Glock for any reason or leaning toward that because you shot that? ...Being in Johnstown, it's a hike, but stop out for a PAFOA shoot at PMSC some time.
    Not limited to Glock ... just sticking with .45ACP as I have investment in the caliber (ammo, dies, brass, etc). Yep, been to the PMSC shoots before just been over a year that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    with the 1911 it will need a break-in period of a couple hundred rounds.
    The SA Micro is between 750-1000 rounds now. It should be past break in yet has regular FTF issues with various ammo types.

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    PA is a PMSC/Poofa shooter from the old days. He knows what they are all about. And his wife makes some of the best cookies on the face of this planet.

I've heard (don't know whether they are true or not) that the short barreled 1911 style guns just don't seem to be as reliable as the 5 inch ones.
    Petra says thanks for the compliment! You make some killer BBQ too.

I heard the same thing at the class.

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the FTF issues occurred after some significant hammer bite...

The cost of a new beavertail grip safety and polishing/carry work by a gun smith is going to be close to that of a new gun anyway in the end (after shipping, price for the parts, price for the work). Personally, I'd get a new gun. I don't know that I'd get the Glock automatically, there are a handful of contenders there for you to look at. For example, the XD .45 and the FN45 (there's one at SGD as I recall) should be in a similar price range as the Glock.
    It's had regular fail to feed issues and an occasional fail to eject. The cost concerns you mentioned are why I'm leaning more towards moving on to something else. I guess I need to get into SGD and fondle some and see what fits. The Glock did shoot nice and size wasn't horrible.

Anyone want a nice package deal on a SA Micro Compact ...

(Chester County)

Please do not limit yourself to just Glock, however I am smitten with my Glock 30. Primary carry gun for me for a very long long time. But, in saying that now let me say this, that gun fits everything I want for myself in a carry gun, and compact .45acp. Excellent ammo capacity, accurate as any 3.5incher out there, extremely reliable, and last but not least easy to conceal.

What you need to do is take a list of what your "must haves" are, I.E. ammo capacity, caliber, reputation of brand, and accuracy. Once you have decided those attributes that matter most to you, then start compiling a list of guns and then find somewhere that you can handle as many of them as possible and shoot them too. Finally make sure it is a gun that you will not mind carrying at all times, even on the hottest of days. Then you can make an educated decision of what works for you.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Luzerne County)

I have a kimber ultra carry "1911". I carry it a lot. I also have a glock 30. I bought it as the next carry gun. I haven't come across a holster I like yet. I can't say one is better or worse than the other. They are just different.

You should also check out the Xd-45. I should be picking one up in a few weeks.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    What you need to do is take a list of what your "must haves" are, I.E. ammo capacity, caliber, reputation of brand, and accuracy. Once you have decided those attributes that matter most to you, then start compiling a list of guns and then find somewhere that you can handle as many of them as possible and shoot them too. Finally make sure it is a gun that you will not mind carrying at all times, even on the hottest of days. Then you can make an educated decision of what works for you.
    Musts: .45ACP, accurate, good brand
    Not as important: ammo capacity (SA is only 7, nearly anything else will be more!)

Must be a configuration that can be carried with easy. I do carry the SA Micro 14+ hours most days and my biggest complaint there is weight. I do have a very good holster that helps (Brigade).

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    Musts: .45ACP, accurate, good brand
    Not as important: ammo capacity (SA is only 7, nearly anything else will be more!)

Must be a configuration that can be carried with easy. I do carry the SA Micro 14+ hours most days and my biggest complaint there is weight. I do have a very good holster that helps (Brigade).
    Well hell you can look at ton of different companies, Glock, Springfield, H&K, Kahr...just to name a few. All amazing gun makers, all have their very own specific pros and cons.

I guess what I am trying to say is no one can tell you what works best for you, suggestions are nice. This is really a hands on experience. So go fondle , and go shoot. Then make sure you post pics of what you get.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast