Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Toying with the idea of building an M16

Its been crossing my mind too much anymore and I think I have to do something about it.

Would it be cheaper or more expensive to put one together yourself? I have seen near - complete kits minus the lower reciever for $500 or so, that includes everything you need to build one.

Im interested in building an A3... would rather an A1 but thats something id rather buy later.

What do you guys thing I should do about this?

Default Re: Toying with the idea of building an M16

Quote Originally Posted by Mteague09 View Post
    Its been crossing my mind too much anymore and I think I have to do something about it.

Would it be cheaper or more expensive to put one together yourself? I have seen near - complete kits minus the lower reciever for $500 or so, that includes everything you need to build one.

Im interested in building an A3... would rather an A1 but thats something id rather buy later.

I'll wait for everyone else to jump on you, and fill in any gaps later...
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

That doesn't sound good....

(Bucks County)

I'll bite. Do you mean a legal AR-15?
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

considering you mean ar-15, you may run into a problem building one because i believe you need to be 21 or older to buy a stripped lower. Considering your age on your profile is right.

Could be wrong though.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    considering you mean ar-15, you may run into a problem building one because i believe you need to be 21 or older to buy a stripped lower. Considering your age on your profile is right.

Could be wrong though.
    Didn't they dump that law? I remember reading here that they put the age back down to 18?
    And yes, Im looking to build a semi automatic M16A3...

(Chester County)

Search, read, learn. Here, and elsewhere.

(Montgomery County)

Didn't they dump that law? I remember reading here that they put the age back down to 18?
    And yes, Im looking to build a semi automatic M16A3...
    Just for future reference - and so you don't get everyone’s panties in a bunch - the civilian semi automatic is called an AR15. The full auto model is an M16.

Now that that is out of the way and we've established that you want a semi auto AR15 - you will need to buy a complete rifle. You are not old enough to buy a stripped lower. You might even have trouble buying a complete AR15 rifle because the PSP is telling FFL's to do the handgun form on them too. So, call around to shops and see if they will sell completed AR's to people under 21.

Prices for complete AR15's are coming down a bunch. I'm not going to suggest a model / brand for you just yet - maybe after you do a little research and have more questions, ask and we'll answer. Also, knowing your intended use for the gun will go a long way to determine what brand / model will work best for you.

(York County)

Sorry about the mix up with the M16/AR15 thing... never really knew the diferrence, just that AR15 is the civilian version.

But Im way ahead of you there, Ive been searching for information for over an hour now and am still learning about this. However I have not found too much useable information. Although it is pretty nice seeing how much you can do with this rifle... you can make it into a pistol, a tackdriver, or load it up with accessories until it weighs 30 pounds and looks like a pile of flashlights and holosights.

What I can't find too much on is the price, most of the stuff Im looking at was built with used parts, or stuff that is so expensive that I would not even look at.

Also: are all of the parts in an AR15 interchangeable with every other manufacturer? I think I remember reading somewhere that they are made by similar companies or something...
    Last edited by Mteague09; August 9th, 2009 at 12:22 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Completed off the rack AR-15's run anywhere from $800 - $1300 - most times.

Again, i would for go the idea of building one yourself since you will be hard pressed to get a stripped lower from an FFL at your age.

Again, i'd call around to shops local to you and see what completed AR's they stock and if they will sell them to someone under 21.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast