Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Kids Shotgun....what do you suggest...

My younger daughter...12yo, small for her age...has expressed an interest in shooting at clays. We went to the range (Guthsville) and she watched some people shoot and was fascinated.

Now:
    She started with a Chipmunk at about 6yo. (Not very much shooting..once or twice a year with some yearly gaps due to my work/residency.). She's a bit small for a regular sized 10/22 (I figure in a couple of years she'll be about her mom's size....hopefully that tall, not that wide*..about 5'3''). She has shot .223 rifles (I used to have an AUG...she LOVED shooting it with me helping hold the weight), and she's shot a 9mm (again, with my helping support the gun)..so she's not recoil sensitive for some guns...but I don't want to start her on 12ga 3" magnum loads either...

I want to start looking for a reasonable quality shotgun for her to learn on.

I'm very partial to Berettas (I have: 1201, 301, 390, 686..all in 12ga), but the budget's probably not going to stretch that far for now....

I was thinking a 20ga, and fairly light weight (i.e....if she decides she's not wild about it, it wouldn't be a bad gun for me to shoot also). Preferably with some kind of Youth stock (or a way to change the length of pull for her vs. me).

However, I'm not sure on what to start looking at.

Yeah, if I could find a HOAD (Hell Of A Deal) on a Beretta O/U or SxS in 20ga, I'd jump on it (if I have the money handy)...just because I can use it also.

Any thoughts, recommendations, even cautions or ideas on teaching her to shoot a shotgun well (I'm a casual shooter, and will probably be learning alongside her) etc....?

Thanks,

AFARR

Default Re: Kids Shotgun....what do you suggest...

A youth 20ga is a good palce to start. Or look for a 20 or 28ga auto. Stay away from a single shot because of the kick. If you get one to have the stock cut down, get a whole new stock to cut and keep the current stock. That way you have a full size stock for you and if you want to sell it. She's the right age to start.

(Washington County)

I would suggest a Remington 870 youth 20g probably 20". I have seen them at Gander Mnt. They even come in pink.

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modu...topic_id=13379

I hope when I have kids the enjoy shooting. I would so buy my girls the pink guns if that is what it took.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; July 29th, 2009 at 07:37 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    I would suggest a Remington 870 youth 20g probably 20". I have seen them at Gander Mnt. They even come in pink.

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modu...topic_id=13379

I hope when I have kids the enjoy shooting. I would so buy my girls the pink guns if that is what it took.
    My sister got the pink Rem 870 youth 20 ga because she did not like the 12 ga kick.

(Monroe County)

Mossberg makes the 500 series in a youth model in 20 ga.
    I were tempted to buy one for my son who is aalso 12 and not that big either.

Weaver's firearms in Brodheadsville has one in stock, i believe its listed at $229.

Nyman

Mossberg 500 Super Bantam Youth 20 guage. You can put a spacer in the stock as she grows, and they come with coupon for an adult stock when that time comes.

"Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lackawanna County)

Not sure if you made your selection yet but as a few folks here have said the Mossbeg bantams are very nice. I am a certified shotgun instructor and coach and mostly teach boys between 11 and 17. I use a Mossberg Bantam 12ga which is a really nice shotgun for my younger students and comes with 3 chokes. The younger boys all love this shotgun. I have 12 and 20's when we shoot and all the boys put down the 20's and shoot the mossberg, i will be buying 2 more of these in the near future. They fit well. They are ribbed with twin bead sights which is nice for trap and other shotgun sports. The gun is not that heavy and i use lite trap loads and none of the boys have any problems not even a flinch. You may just need to raise the comb a little bit (thats what I did) and they will knock em out of the sky. Like any shotgun make sure they have a good stance and hold the shotgun properly, Remember cheek weld is important. You can usually find this shotgun well under $400. My 2 cents and experience.
    Last edited by Blue301; August 11th, 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling and additional content

20ga shotguns are awesome, I just bought my first one about a month ago. I'd highly recommend one for the kids, I'd highly recommend them for adults as well!

My first experience shooting a 20ga was with a Mossberg 500 variant in 20ga. An 870 would do just as fine too.

My 20ga is a Franchi 720 Raptor[now called Competition], it has a 28" ported barrel and extended chokes. Probably a bit long for a youth, Franchi does make a 720 Short Stock in blued/wood which seems perfect for a child. It has a gas action and is not inertia driven like some of the Benellis
    so it will recoil softer, and you can also easily turn the piston around for shooting heavy/light loads.

If you can afford a 686 go for it! That is what I really wanted but I realized that I'd have to save a lot more before I got a Beretta O/U. I was looking at a 20ga Beretta 686 Whitewing[Beretta's budget model, no longer made] but I found it to be a bit goofy looking with the seperated barrels[no vent rib between barrels but they are connected at the end]. It was also extremely light - too light for my uses, many complain about it being too light for shotgun sports[swings too fast] but could be perfect for your child as it had a very short LOP. Miller's in DE had a used one for sale[beautiful wood] for $750 but I doubt it's still there...that seems to be about the price for those shotguns on the used market.

If you think she'll be affected by recoil[she might not be recoil sensitive but wait until she shoots a shotgun all day long] I'd suggest an autoloader. If not go for an O/U or a pump.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by seoulstice View Post
    20ga shotguns are awesome, I just bought my first one about a month ago. I'd highly recommend one for the kids, I'd highly recommend them for adults as well!

My first experience shooting a 20ga was with a Mossberg 500 variant in 20ga. An 870 would do just as fine too.

My 20ga is a Franchi 720 Raptor[now called Competition], it has a 28" ported barrel and extended chokes. Probably a bit long for a youth, Franchi does make a 720 Short Stock in blued/wood which seems perfect for a child. It has a gas action and is not inertia driven like some of the Benellis
    so it will recoil softer, and you can also easily turn the piston around for shooting heavy/light loads.

If you can afford a 686 go for it! That is what I really wanted but I realized that I'd have to save a lot more before I got a Beretta O/U. I was looking at a 20ga Beretta 686 Whitewing[Beretta's budget model, no longer made] but I found it to be a bit goofy looking with the seperated barrels[no vent rib between barrels but they are connected at the end]. It was also extremely light - too light for my uses, many complain about it being too light for shotgun sports[swings too fast] but could be perfect for your child as it had a very short LOP. Miller's in DE had a used one for sale[beautiful wood] for $750 but I doubt it's still there...that seems to be about the price for those shotguns on the used market.

If you think she'll be affected by recoil[she might not be recoil sensitive but wait until she shoots a shotgun all day long] I'd suggest an autoloader. If not go for an O/U or a pump.

I have to agree with the suggestion of a Franchi. I had the opportunity to shoot a friends semi-auto Franchi this past winter. It was possibly the lightest and softest recoiling shotgun I've ever shot.

They can be a bit pricey, but if it's something that your daughter has the potential to really enjoy, then it might be worth the investment.

One of the keys to managing the recoil of a shotgun it to insure that it's held rather snugly against your shoulder. I've taught quite a few young kids to skeet shoot through scouting and you'd be surprised how far a little instruction can go.
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Lehigh County)

Update:

I also asked on a couple of dedicated shotgun websites.

In the end, I put a deposit on a Beretta 20ga 303. Has a Polychoke on it.

I like the Beretta shotguns a great deal. No problem with the other shotguns (Rem.) I've owned in the past, but the Beretta 303 is very highly regarded.

This particular shotgun has a cracked wrist...so, I can cut down the stock to it's minimum LOP and not worry about damaging a nicer gun. As my Daughter gets bigger and can use the full size stock (regular LOP), I will replace the stock with a new one...making for a nice gun for either one of us to use.

Thanks..

AFARR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast