Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Do you drink SMALL amounts of alcohol while carrying? (answers private)

Voters
234. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never, but others doing so is fine.

21 8.97%
  • I would/do going out, but ONLY if CC'ing.

100 42.74%
  • I would/do going out, either CC'ing/OC'ing

51 21.79%
  • Only on private property.

15 6.41%
  • Never, and others shouldn't either!

42 17.95%
  • I would/do, but leave my firearm in my car or away until I am 100% sober.

5 2.14%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Poll: SMALL amounts of Alcohol while carrying

Small amounts: By this I mean ONE drink, 2 if you are a big guy/girl maybe.

For a control, lets say everyone would only drink said amounts. I seriously doubt there are many who think people should be able to/should drink excessively more than this and carry in public, so its not as interesting to talk about.

I know a lot of people are really against this, but I'm just curious what you guys do. From what I understand, there is no specific law against it. Personally I don't think I would when I was OCing and out at a restaurant.

Some facts some/many people don't know:
    --- One drink is ABOUT 12 oz beer, 5 oz wine, 1 shot of 80 proof liquor
    --- Food doesn't 'absorb' alcohol. It just slows down the absorption rate into your blood.
    --- coffee doesn't lower BAC, just makes you more awake.
    --- on average an 180 LB man who has 1 drink...in an hour their BAC is .008, .072 less than the driving limit
    --- on average an 160 LB woman who has one drink... in an hour their BAC is .014, .066 less than the driving limit
    (these are the average US weight for adults. I couldn't find PA weights and there seems to be some debate up and down on these)

what about you guys?
    -Alex
    Last edited by MontCo Alex; July 28th, 2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Math mistake

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Poll: SMALL amounts of Alcohol while carrying

I only drink socially...if I do have a beer, it's usually only 2 max whether I'm carrying or not.

Hell,

I've got 5 of the 6 beers I bought in Pittsburgh on the 13th of July still in the fridge.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(York County)

I dont drink at all.

(Cambria County)

Responsibility is responsibility.

A good shoot is a good shoot.

A bad shoot is a bad shoot.

Alcohol changes none of the above.

The decision to carry or not to carry in a bar/while drinking is yours to make, and you will live with the consequences of your decisions. With freedom comes responsibility. In this case, both the responsibility to protect yourself, and the responsibility not to wrongfully infringe on the rights of another.

Any person that I would trust with a gun, I would trust just the same after a couple drinks.

(Allegheny County)

I won't drink while carrying in public - but that is just my personal thing.

Then again, I won't drink at all if I'm driving, and I'm usually the one driving.

(Monroe County)

Just because one is drinking doesn't make their life any less valuable.
    Alcohol is a great tradition in American and many parts of the world.
    The 2nd Amendment is a right in America.
    I don't subscribe to the notion that you can have both, but never at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

I'm agreeing with a lot of what people are saying here. your right to protection shouldn't end with a bit of alcohol. Criminalizing it for 'public safety', is the same argument AG people use to restrict handguns and carry permits/license.

It seems if someone is really drunk, or drunk or sober is pointing it at people, threatening etc. they should be charged with something like Disorderly Conduct or such. I wouldn't support laws that criminalize not carrying with any alcohol in your blood, like many states seem to have.

-Alex

(Monroe County)

I don't know why you think there are not many people who feel it is OK to drink more than one drink and carry. It is about responsibility and behavior. As an adult, you should be able to do what you like as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights. Drink what you like, as much as you are comfortable with, and handle your firearm in a responsible manner. Drinking doesn't negate your right to defend yourself.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Responsibility is responsibility.

A good shoot is a good shoot.

A bad shoot is a bad shoot.

Alcohol changes none of the above.

The decision to carry or not to carry in a bar/while drinking is yours to make, and you will live with the consequences of your decisions. With freedom comes responsibility. In this case, both the responsibility to protect yourself, and the responsibility not to wrongfully infringe on the rights of another.

Any person that I would trust with a gun, I would trust just the same after a couple drinks.
    I don't know why you think there are not many people who feel it is OK to drink more than one drink and carry. It is about responsibility and behavior. As an adult, you should be able to do what you like as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's rights. Drink what you like, as much as you are comfortable with, and handle your firearm in a responsible manner. Drinking doesn't negate your right to defend yourself.

Well stated. I agree also.
    Last edited by rjg; July 28th, 2009 at 01:14 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I didn't search extensively before I posted this, but i saw a few posts that were like "alcohol + guns = Death". The last poll was just about general alcohol plus firearms and more than 50% said "Never mix alcohol with firearms. EVER. " so it seems to be different if you specify small amounts.

Do you guys drink at PAFOA get togethers? I would think even if you don't have a problem with the question, drinking with a firearm and several other firearm owners doesn't sound like a good idea, like it would look bad.

-Alex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast