Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: ar buying help

Default ar buying help

hi everyone. thinking of buying a ar but dont know where to start. i want a all around good rifle. probably looking to spend about 1000(give or take a little). want to get a rifle thats ready to go out of the box, i dont want to try to build anything. thanks for any help, ron

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rgb03 View Post
    hi everyone. thinking of buying a ar but dont know where to start. i want a all around good rifle. probably looking to spend about 1000(give or take a little). want to get a rifle thats ready to go out of the box, i dont want to try to build anything. thanks for any help, ron
    Check your local dealers to see if they have anything in stock that fits your needs, if not I'd suggest Bushmaster or Rock River Arms. Bushmaster was my first AR and it's still going strong. One thing I would suggest is that you get an A3-style flat-top upper and not an A2-style upper with a fixed carry handle. One day you'll want to put some sort of optic on the gun and you'll want the flat-top, that's what happened to me.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

I agree, for 1k you could get a nice Bushmaster A3, do you want standard length or M4 style? If you want to do a any serious target shooting I'd recommend getting a full 20" barrel, you can still get a collpsable stock afterward and put it on. In the for sale section of this site there is a Colt HBAR match grade rifle for $750, it's a steal, if someone doesn't buy it soon I'l be froced to and my wife will be really pissed at me.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Westmoreland County)

Colt 6920 if you can find one.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Colt 6920 if you can find one.
    I second that!!

(Allegheny County)

take a look at Stag Arms.

they are a spin-off of CMT...CMT makes the parts that many other manufacturers put into their ARs.

Stag is a very high quality rifle for a very reasonable price. they are relatively new, so not a lot of people think of them as quickly as bushmaster, RRA, etc. take advantage of that before people start to get it and the prices go up, up, up.

i also have a DPMS which is a very accurate and nicely finished rifle for not a lot of money. the lower is not forged, though, so it wouldn't be my first choice for a SHTF rifle (or a rifle that will actually see combat/police duty) just due to potential (theoretical) strength/durability issues.

no matter what brand you end up deciding on, check out the Equipment Exchange forum on AR15.com. that's a good place to find a great deal.

also, one other note. you say you don't want to build one, but just be aware that you can buy a complete upper and a complete lower separately and putting them together only requires pushing two pins through two sets of holes...takes about 30 seconds if you are really uncoordinated (this is different from buying, for example, a stripped lower and a parts-kit...which is the "building" you don't want.) sometimes, buying a complete upper and lower separately will let you save a few bucks over a complete rifle and, really, it is trivial to put them together (you'll end up taking them apart and putting them back together as part of your regular cleaning process anyway).
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; September 3rd, 2006 at 07:53 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rgb03 View Post
    You'll have lots to choose from for a thousand dollars or less. As others have noted, you should figure out what exactly it is that you want to do with the rifle. That will help determine the style that's best for you. I agree with the others that you should probably go with the A3, so that when the time comes, you can do your optics easily.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Bucks County)

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/firearms-...-ar-223-a.html

One of the best deals I've seen in a while. Seller is also a good guy!

(Chester County)

I saw that rifle too. I have one and I am going to send the upper to adco to make a no ban rifle. The colt is a good deal. Snatch it up. If you dont like the stock change it.