Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ruger Single Six 9.5", any opinions?

I held one of these at a local gun shop. I plan to target shoot and rabbit hunt with it. I noticed that ruger decided to quit using wood grips on the blued single sixs. Purhaps it is a cost cutting thing? Overall the gun seemed like a quality piece. It wasn't as nose heavy as I thought it would be. What kind of accuracy should I hope to expect from this gun? I hear good and bad about ruger single sixes. It comes with a magnum cylinder and the price for the gun is $370. I can't get myself to spend $600 plus for a smith.

Default Re: Ruger Single Six 9.5", any opinions?

I have a single six but I forget the barrel length. Mine also came with the magnum cyclinder ... bought it at a shop after the Eastern shoot last year at the urging of Pennsy who said "you will love that" and I will tell you something. EVERYONE in this house just loves that gun! It is on the list of 'the absolute last gun we would sell' ... truly a fun, well made gun that is a joy to shoot.

Now as far as the price? Well I paid (pretty sure) $250 for mine. It included, as I mentioned before, the magnum cylinder in the felt pouch and original box (for the cylinder, not the gun). Mine is in what I would call 98% condition, not perfect but damn close ... so I'm not 100% sure that price is right. Check gunbroker.com and see what they are going for up there.

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: Ruger Single Six 9.5", any opinions?

I've wanted that gun for 2 yrs now...

I think as a plinker it's a sweet gun. I love the nearly 10" barrel. And the .22 Magnum cylinder is always a nice addition.

(I know a lot of people laud the S&W triggers. But I was surprised recently when I compared a couple of Taurus', a full size frame .22LR S&W revolver, a Ruger SP101 and an LCR. I found both the SP101 and LCR to both have a nicer trigger feel to me. The Taurus was awful....and that's NOT to be snobby.)
    N.U.G.U.N. "New User of GUNs Blog"
    http://nugun.wordpress.com

(Centre County)

Well, I'm biased "for" Rugers. I think that you would find this to be a great rabbit gun and target gun. The .22 Mag cylinder is a plus if you want to use it on bigger critters also. I have one (abet a shorter barrel) and I love to take it out plinking. It is so mild shooting and accurate that it is a good gun to use to train someone that is unfamiliar/uneasy with guns.

You can easily get aftermarket wood grips if you so desire. There are 2 Ruger forums ( www.rugerforum.com and www.RugerForum.net ) and typically you can find grips through someone there or go to the Ruger website to get them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

I'm also looking at 22s. I have been considering the single six and the rough rider. I can get the rough rider new for $189.99. Anyone have one?

Thanks for all your opinions. I am planning to purchase the ruger after work today after I give it a good final inspection. Nailer, I did have a rough rider that I bought back in the 90s. I was not impressed with it due to a severe cylinder to barrel timing issue. Side to side movement of the cylinder was horrible along with a larger than normal gap at the front. It would often times bind or jam also. However, my cousin has a newer Heritage in a stainless finish with adjustable sights. His action feels completely different than mine did. The fit and finish of recent rough riders is also much better than mine had. The hammer looked different also. I think at some point they redesigned or refined the internals of the rough rider. I also think that the part numbers change beyond a certain year. I have read good things about later models.

I picked the gun up after work like I said. After giving it a cleaning, my parents and I put about 200 rounds through it. I'm impressed with the ability of this gun. Hitting red squirrels at under 25 yards should be quite possible. Magnums hit about 2 to 3 inches lower at 20 yards. The sights can be hard to find in low light or against dark backgrounds. I may look into a set of the williams fire sights for it. And there is always the need for a holster. I like the gun alot and so does my father. Thanks for helping me make a good choice.

(Butler County)

I have a stainless model with wood grips. It's more accurate than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I'm also looking at 22s. I have been considering the single six and the rough rider. I can get the rough rider new for $189.99. Anyone have one?
    Took a rough rider in on trade several years ago. The barrel was screwed into the frame about 5-10 degrees off square, they had bent the front sight to help compensate.
    If you can afford the Ruger get it and have a good gun for the rest of your life.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Love my 6.5" Single Six. I didn't like the Black Grips and bought Rosewood Grips from Ruger with the new owner 20% discount..

Single Sixer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast